Never date a tennis player - love means nothing to them. vol.2

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Loves_Shizuka, Jun 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I'm not watching as I'm heading to the beach, but ivanovic has a backhand? Now that's news:shuffle:

2. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

^well I think she's attempting to. It just looks.... different.

I dread to think what Vika will sound like under the roof

3. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

If you mean the screechy Azarenka the noise is truly :yikes: :scream: Every.Single.Shot.
    I really, really try to enjoy women's tennis when Wimbledon comes around but I'm afraid the noise is obnoxious and every year I end up turning off the tv. Five minutes is all I could stand this afternoon. I wish they could shut them up somehow :cold:

4. Loves_Shizuka

Grunting has never bothered me really. Ever. I don't quite get why people find it SO annoying. Azarenka's is the worst, but it doesn't really effect me. It's just so distinctive. Besides, loads of men do it too :confused:

5. london_calling

london_calling New Member

I don't think any guy reaches the level of Azarenka or Sharapova. It's not grunting, more like high pitched wails. I can't watch either without turning down the volume.

6. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it seems like people get on the women for this, but men definitely do it too. I think the most annoying grunt for me of all time was Guga Kuerten's who sounded like he was moaning on every shot. But, overall, I don't think it's so bad (for either gender).

7. Loves_Shizuka

^Nadals is the most grating of the mens, and I find lots of the claycourters are quite loud. But yea, it doesn't bother me really.

Ivanovic :eek:

Vika is on fire though.

8. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

Yikes - feathers falling onto the court on center - did a bird get stuck up there :eek:.

9. skatefan

I turn off the men as well if they do it :lol:
    The men don't seem as bad (at least the matches I've watched) but it really drives me nuts :lol:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  10. skatefan

11. Loves_Shizuka

Azarenka wins 6-1 6-0.

Best performance by a woman so far at this tournament IMO

12. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I think I've gotten used to it...
    Vika smells blood, I think.

13. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

:cheer2:

Vika looks outstanding. Incredible match from her.

14. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

All aspects of Vika's game today were fantastic. The constructing of the points and the ball hitting was such high quality. I love when she plays like this.

15. Loves_Shizuka

^So do I; she's actually an (underrated) pleasure to watch. She's aggressive without being wild, and suitably defensive without being dull and passive. She can absorb power so well, and return it with interest and her own fire. Plus she's such a good mover.

16. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

ITA.

Something Vika worked really hard on about a year ago(movement). Something Petra needs to really work at improving.

17. Loves_Shizuka

^Yea - I feel Kvitova could be so good - and I mean even better than she already is, but her overall game is missing something. She needs to work on her fitness and her intensity, but I sense this year is a big learning curve for her. I predict for Petra to step up more in 2013.

18. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

Azarenka played amazing tennis - she is looking very, very good.

My selections for the semi's are Azarenka, Williams, Radwaska and Lisciki.

19. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

I tend to grunt along with them. If you can't beat 'em....... ;)

20. Loves_Shizuka

First Youzhny, now Viktor Troicki :swoon:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  21. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

I just use the mute button. ;)

22. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

Make the most of it - he won't be on there for long ;)

23. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Seriously, I would protest every point if I played against Azarenka. She's not grunting she's making loon mating calls. I totally get the scream when you put away a ball, but every shot? I would make it the longest match in Wimby history by going to the official after every point and say her noises are distracting and ugly. I wish someone would have the ovaries to do that.

It's not just a grunt or a scream at an important shot, it's a multiple second loon mating call that lasts until her opponent makes contact with the ball. She needs to be stopped.

Rottie and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Loves_Shizuka

The (not-so-unpredictable) sadness.

25. Loves_Shizuka

I love how he sticks his arse out as he's about to reach up for his serve :rofl: :p

26. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

Love Azarenka's return of serve. She takes it so early and can hit down the line seemingly effortlessly. Better than S. Williams's?

27. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I don't know about that (maybe, given Serena's somewhat less than stellar form so far), but it's definitely one of the best on tour, and the reason she's doing so well this year.

Ditto. I really like her. She's actually quite competent at the net as well.

She comes across quite badly on court for some - all intensity and the grunting - but on her interviews and twitter, she's actually quite nice and funny. But I'm quite intense as well, so I like intensity in my players. :shuffle:

28. Loves_Shizuka

^They were saying on BBC last night that her attitude +plus her grunt turn people off, which is a shame because she's "very beautiful and very talented"... I think there might be some truth to that. I like her for this reason alone. I kinda like it when people just don't give a shit. LOL.

I have to work today :drama: so I'll be missing the first half of the day. Hopefully I'll be home in time for the all-German QF :D

My predictions:

Baker d. Kohli
    Murray d. Cilic
    Ferrer d. del Potro
    Mayer d. Gasquet
    Tsonga d. Fish

Aga d. Kirilenko
    Kvitova d. Serena
    Azarenka d. Paszek
    Kerber d. Lisicki

We shall see

29. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

If they don't grunt in practice then why on earth do they have to grunt/scream on every. single. shot. in their matches?

And grunts i'm generally ok with but outright screaming which is what a lot of the ladies are doing just seems purposefully effected rather than a grunt which sounds more genuine.

30. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Well, Serena takes it. She played really well. Hard not to see her win this when she plays like this.

Petra :fragile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.