Neti pot

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by pat c, Jan 5, 2011.

1. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

2. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I've used it before. It works well when used right. I bought it at Whole Foods.

Just, fyi, never use it if you can't blow your nose. Just don't. :shuffle:

3. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i use it from fall to spring, i've been using it for a few years. it helped my post nasal drip a lot.

4. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

That's good to know. :) I guess I won't be trying it right now.

5. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I've used it. It ain't easy! Feels a bit like drowning, in fact. But it's helped a little when I've had a bad cold.

6. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

I used it when the pollen filled the air during spring and summer. It worked great.

7. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I use mine a lot. It really helps clear things out. I don't suggest you try it for the first time after a big meal though :shuffle:

8. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

I love a good sinus flush! :swoon:

Not the Neti Pot, per se, the Ayr one is one of my faves. :)

9. Norlite

Norlite New Member

I've used a neti-pot for a couple of years now. Every morning and night.

IMO, it's a miracle worker. Cleared my years-plugged sinuses and kept them clear.And mostly cold free. I love it and will never be without it again.

And I've never felt like I was drowning, even when I first used it and had a bad sinus infection. (which I'm sure I'd had on and off for years)

Why do you say that? That's when I recommend to my friends they must try it.

10. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

It might have been me, but I had one totally blocked nostril and nothing could get through and it became really painful. Then I remember reading in the manual not to use it if nostrils were really, really blocked.

11. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

My sister loves hers. Colds usually start with a stuffy nose for her, so she always goes to the neti pot when she feels her nose stuffing up.

She thought it was gross at first but her gay housemate swore by it and even took her into the bathroom to give her one-on-one instruction. :rofl:

12. Norlite

Norlite New Member

When I first used it, I had the worst sinus headache I had ever had in my life. But I had read from many sources to give it a week. I didn't need a week. After 2 or 3 days I started to feel better, great in fact. I could breathe deeper than I had in probably my entire adult life. I seriously had no idea that I could breathe that deeply back into my nose.

I think I'd had infected sinuses for years. Every time I had dental xrays, every couple years, my dentist would tell me I had a sinus infection, give me antibiotics which I would finish, and go on with my life thinking all was better. I now think it never really cleared up, and that headache I had for the first day or so was all the infection being washed away (although I saw nothing gross flush out, in case anyone is wondering :yikes: )

Now my colds are so mild I barely notice, my headaches are very rare, I can breathe deeply like nobody's business, and I even think my eyes get puffy less.

*shrug* Works for me.

13. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I might need to try it again, then. I have constant sinus issues.

14. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

And the great thing about the neti pot is 'drug free'. You don't have to take all these pills for various colds and sinus problems. Please do it in the bathroom sink, not your kitchen sink. There are many Youtube videos showing you how to do it right (or wrong). :lol:

15. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Maybe merge this thread with the Snotty Kitty thread?
    OK, I’ll go quietly. :slinkaway

KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  16. iloveemoticons

iloveemoticons Well-Known Member

That could be a novel application, Reuven!

I've used Neti pot and Sinurinse, and both work well but the latter I find easier to use because it's a squeeze bottle so you can control the flow.

17. Jodi

Jodi Caulkhead forever

I was instructed to use the squeezy bottle version by an ENT person I was referred to. I have been enthusing to everyone about it ever since, it's amazing what a difference it makes. I did find it really, really horrible to do at first, it's like when you jump in a swimming pool and water goes up your nose, and things like that have a tendency to give me a panic attack, so I really had to concentrate very very hard on shutting off my brain and not letting myself think about what it felt like at all. But it only took a few days to get used to it and after that it's been entirely unproblematic. My breathing feels much clearer, my post-nasal drip massively reduced. If I do wake up with a runny nose the rinse sorts it all out.

I agree with oleada about the pain when I tried to use it when my nose was too blocked though :yikes: And the leaflet that came with it did warn against that. I don't use it at the really bad stages of a cold for that reason, but when things subside to clearer drippiness it is once again magic at cleaning things out.

18. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

Like Jodi - my DD uses the squeezy bottle version and its made a huge difference in her athletics. She has a ton of allergies which results in asthma and since being a regular user of the nasal rinse she has reduced her asthma drugs in half and increased her lung capacity. She has even got my hubby on it now as he has sinus issues/asthma as well.. she initially tried the neti pot but found the squeezy bottle nasal rinse to be easier to use and more practical for travelling..

19. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I've used Neti-Pot for many years, especially during the allergy seasons. It does not totally save me, but helps a lot, and I'd recommend it to anybody ( a bit gross, but very helpful).
    If you try to use it with a pluged-up nose the water could also get to your ears- not too pleasant. And always remember to use the solution- I once used plain water accidentally, and it's painful.

20. Norlite

Norlite New Member

I agree. Also, the water needs to be body temp. I warm mine for 30 seconds in the microwave, then add the saline and shake.

I have to say again, I never ever had the feeling of drowning. I find it interesting some of you have. In fact, from first time I barely felt the water. It just majically goes in one nostril and out the other.

As I got more experienced, I researched and learned how to tilt my head back far enough to reach farther back in my sinuses. That did feel a bit weird, but again, nothing like drowning.

I;ve thought of trying the spray, but I've had such bad experiences with nasal sprays years ago (like Dristan) I just liked the idea of a natural gentle flow like the pot gives, no forced pressure but gravity.

Whichever method anyone chooses, nasal rinsing is wonderful.

21. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I use "Neilmed" which is a squeezy bottle version. Just using warm tap water is enough, I don't have to microwave it.

One tip I was told at the start was to breathe through an open mouth, "kind of like Darth Vader," and that will counteract the instictive panic that strikes when you feel water at the back of your nose.

It totally does the trick, and I'd recommend this to anyone!

22. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

I haven't used a Netipot or Neilmed but I have used Hydrasense which is a spray bottle with saline solution in it.

23. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I also use the Neilmed squeezy bottle version and think it works well. The only downside is that the relief is temporary so you pretty much have to do the rinse every day if you have frequent sinus problems. I am rather forgetful and especially bad about doing those kind of things when I travel, so I don't get as much out of it as I can. On days I do remember to do it, I feel a significant improvement in my sinuses and reduction in sinus headaches.

My one recommendation is
    make sure you blow your nose thoroughly after it's done, probably a good idea to at the end to blow your nose with your head upside down to make sure you get everything. Otherwise, when you bend over, you may find water running out of your nose.

24. Anita18

Bumping up an old thread, but my bf has been suffering from a terrible hacking cough for a few weeks. He hasn't been able to sleep for the past couple of days. (Neither have I, for that matter.)

He finally went to a doctor today and apparently it's allergies. (In fact, the guy sitting next to him in the waiting room had the exact same cough. :lol: ) Great that it's not contagious, but boo that it won't get better until the pollen season is over. Would a neti pot help with this cough? His nose isn't blocked but I think it's all draining into the back which is why he's been coughing.

I think he's a little weirded out by me pushing the neti pot on him since I don't use one myself, but I know two people who it's helped A LOT and it isn't a medication (which weirds him out even more) so I figured it wouldn't hurt to try.

25. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

My husband uses Neil Med the squeeze bottle version.
    It helps him a lot. But he says it is absolutely horrible to do.

He boils water at dinner (to sterilize) and it is cool enough to use before bed. I don't think I'd use tap water...

26. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

I've used a neti pot for years. It's really not that bad. And I've always used tap water and I've never had a problem.*shrug*

27. Katoomba

Katoomba Member

I just started using it yesterday, also because of horrible allergies and this pesky cough that I can't seem to shake. I'm desperate enough to try anything at this point. It's supposed to reduce the post-nasal drip that drains into your throat.

28. galaxygirl

I forgot to mention that I occasionally use Albuterol to help me cough up the gunk. Your boyfriend might want to ask his doctor about it.

(Sorry for not editing my previous post but the editing window takes about 20 years to load on my phone.)

29. Anita18

Let me know if that works! I think I convinced him to get one and start using it today. Another solution he came up with was to move up with his parents for a few weeks immediately before a trip to Germany, but I think that's total overkill. Not that I'd be offended if he left me for a few months, but the last time he visited his parents, he was ready to leave after only 4 days because they were "driving him nuts!" :rofl: :rofl: He often doesn't think things through...

He's quite adamant about not taking prescription meds if he can help it, but last night at midnight I went down to the 24-hr CVS to get him Delsym because he couldn't sleep, he was coughing so hard and frequently. He was desperate. :lol: And he still only took a half-dose. :lol:

The doctor he saw today at urgent care (he doesn't have his own doctor, no idea why) was pushing lots of meds on him and he didn't like it.

30. galaxygirl

That's understandable, I don't like being drugged up either. But it's better than trying to breathe through cement. :lol:

Chlortrimeton is a good, short acting antihistamine, if he's interested in trying one occasionally.