Netflix/Hulu: What Are You Watching?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cachoo, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Are there any series you are watching? I am watching "Sherlock" again and also "Slings and Arrows." I've seen a lot of the latter but not every episode. As for Sherlock: no new episodes until 2014 and I like (love) it enough to watch earlier seasons again.

What are you watching?
  2. topaz

topaz New Member

I have netflix and I started watching the Client List and Lost Girl series.
  3. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I have Netflx Canada and the tv shows i have watched are; Survivors, Sherlock, Terra Nova, and Roswell. I have watched movies like; Captain America, Hunger Games, Robocop, transformers and a few I have forgotten. :lol: I love Netfliix! :cheer2:
  4. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

Sherlock is bloody brilliant- I got hooked and thank you Netflix season 2 :)
    I like series , I watched rescue me , damages, and dexter!!! All fab! I like when I find a series that has a tonne to watch, makes it hard to watch one on tv, you have to wait so long in between season!!!
  5. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra New Member

The first thing I did when Netflix opened in Sweden last year was to spend a month watching every single one of the Doctor Who episodes they had, though that was only 5 series (from Nine to Eleven). I hadn't seen it before, but I'd heard enough to know I'd probably like it - only I didn't like it. I loved it! :rollin: I'm now in the process of acquiring DW on dvd; so far I have four series and the specials at the end of Tennant's run as the Doctor. It's a lot easier to turn other people into Whovians with dvds than Netflix. :p

Other shows I've watched are Firefly and Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, and one day I'll get around to watching Torchwood as well. And Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I'd watch Sherlock too, only I already have both series on dvd. :)
  6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

House of Cards on Netflix is pretty good.
  7. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

And what about House of Cards ? It's BRILLIANT !!!

Oh sorry, didn't see the previous comment :eek:
    But I confirm that show is fantastic from start to finish. I am hooked !
  8. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I'm watching "Lost" for the first time. This is the way to do it -- wait till the whole series is done and then go at your own pace! :)
  9. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Just wanted to add that I have had Netflx for a while but did not start watching in earnest until I got an Apple TV. :)
  10. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Well-Known Member

I'm watching It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia for the first time. I'm dying from laughter. :rofl:

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
  11. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Last night I watched Super 8. It was Super Confusing.
  12. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

All kinds of stuff. Saw some Sherlock but would prefer to watch the rest with dh, whom I know would like it but it's just on the threshold of boring/inappropriate for dd. While washing dishes I have caught up on Poirot and Miss Marple mysteries, watched Foyle's War & Midsomer Murders. Watched most of season 1 of Downton Abbey but that was enough for me. As a family we've watched Doc Martin, American Pickers, Mythbusters, and old Godzilla movies (oh, and Ultraman, also made by the Godzilla production team).
  13. grimey

grimey bird is the word

I'm watching "The Wonder Years" LOL
  14. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

I am watching the old Melrose Place. :slinkaway
    My excuse is that I watch Netflix while I work out on my exercise bike, so the more brainless the better.
    AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  15. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

We are alternating between Coach and the original Dallas series.

And modern_muslimah, Sunny is my husband's all time favorite show. It is so demented and wrong. But so funny. Have you seen Charlie's musical yet? That is my favorite.
  16. BigB08822

That's the way to do it! We have had one for years and Netflix gets way more use than if it was just on my computer. You can also download AirParrot if you want to stream stuff directly from your computer to the appleTV. I have watched many skating events this way! They wont look as good being blown up but I still think it is awesome to watch any skating on TV these days. lol
  17. MacMadame

No, the way to go is an Internet-ready tv with the Netflix and Hulu apps built-in... ;)
  18. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

Also watching Lost... almost finished the final season now!
  19. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I just use the Xbox or the PS3.

I'm working my way through the entire set of Star Trek's, interspersed with some reality TV like Swamp Loggers, the occasional activist documentary, and the Netflix original series- Lilyhammer and House of Cards.

I'm finding the "what to watch on Netflix" lists available on the internet quite useful. Last weekend we watched the indie movie The Nines (with Ryan Reynolds and Melissa Macarthy) and enjoyed it very much.
  20. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Dayum! You and BigB were not kidding: I just watched the first episode and I confess that I'm blown away. I loved the original series with Ian Richardson and wasn't sure if I would like the US version. Kevin Spacey is perfect imho. And somehow I thought the production might suffer as it is a "netflix" series but they spent some money on this.

There are so many good suggestions---and it is snowing today and tomorrow---perfect time to explore.
  21. MacMadame

We used to do that but having it built in is much easier. :D
  22. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

The Xbox is usually great. Except I'm posting here instead of watching House of Cards as I've currently been waiting 20+ minutes for it to download an update. :p
  23. BittyBug

BittyBug Quadless

I'm watching House of Cards, too, but I feel like I must be missing something because thus far (6 episodes in) I'm not entirely impressed. :shuffle: Some of the dialogue is just so over the top, obvious and contrived, it feels stilted. If it weren't for the cast, I'm not sure I'd still be watching. Maybe it gets better?
  24. BigB08822

It does get better but the faults you have found are there all along. Sometimes there are lines so cringeworthy that I have to stop and make myself focus again because I can't get past what I just heard. I noticed it more in the first few episodes so I guess it does get better or I just got used to it. I just think the story slowly pulled me in more and more so now I am definitely going to have to finish it. I don't think I really cared one way or the other until about episode 8 or so.
  25. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

I tend to get stuck in ruts rewatching shows I know I love when I should be watching something new. So far I've had marathons for South Park, Doctor Who, The Catherine Tate Show, Sherlock, Better off Ted, and Torchwood. I'm thinking about giving Merlin a shot, and since it's been mentioned here House of Cards.
  26. BigB08822

I don't know how people watch shows they have already watched. I can do that with sitcoms that don't rely on a plot. For example: Golden Girls, Roseanne, Big Bang Theory. Those shows are all sitcoms and you can watch any episode from any season and enjoy it as a stand alone. Some story lines carry through but the show is just as funny or entertaining even if you have no clue what happened the episode or even season before. I can't do that with other shows. Lost is my favorite show of all time but in order to watch it again I would need to start from the very first episode and knowing how it ends, why would I want to spend so much time watching it all again? Those types of shows are so story driven that it is completely ruined when you already know the outcome. More power to those of you who can do it, I sometimes wish I could, but I can't.
  27. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

This show is the Mad Men of netflix. Kevin Spacey ? Brilliant. All actors are awesome. The writing is ... fantastic. It's like the West Wing revisited :)
  28. PDilemma

We are planning to eventually watch the entire series of Fringe again even though we never missed an episode. My thing is that it is so complicated and in the last short season we kept saying "oh, that was from that episode with the....". So rewatching will help us pick up things we didn't see the first time because we didn't know they would matter in the long term. Does that make sense?
  29. MacMadame

My daughter watches shows she's already watched over and over again and I admit I don't get it either.

Via Netflix, I have watched the entire series of several shows and now I will occasional watch them again when they are on TV but these are police procedurals that can be watched as a standalone. But having watched them all in order does cause me to be less likely to watch them when I come across them on tv.
  30. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Well-Known Member

I haven't seen that one yet. I'm in the middle of season 4. Sunny is demented. I just watched the episode where Frank poops everywhere. So gross but so funny.

I googled House of Cards last night. It looks intriguing. I think I'll have to check it out this weekend.
  31. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

You're not old enough yet. :) In another 25 years your memory banks will be so full you won't remember anything you saw 6 months ago, you'll just remember that you liked it. Therefore it is easy to watch over again. As for the young ones who watch things repeatedly, I guess they have a crush on one or more of the characters.
  32. PDilemma

The musical is the season 4 finale. And two episodes before that is one of my other favorites when they decide to do their own "Extreme Home Makeover". Enjoy!
  33. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Same reason that I reread books: It's just like spending some more time with dear old friends. :)
  34. CanuckSk8r

CanuckSk8r New Member

Dexter, Drop Dead Diva and Breaking Bad are all shows I watched on Netflix. I also turn on a movie I've seen before every night to fall asleep to.

I wish I could get US Netflix though, MUCH better selection.
  35. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Ita--I feel like I'm watching the West Wing's evil twin brother.
  36. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I loved the Brit House of Cards trilogy and have enjoyed the first episode of the Kevin Spacey version, just not as much. If I hadn't seen Ian Richardson first . . .

I mostly watch detective shows. These are some of my favorites:
    Judge John Deed--not a detective show, but close enough
    George Gently (I have a thing for Martin Shaw.)
    Vera
    Wallander (the Kenneth Brannagh ones)
    Midsomer Murders
    Murdoch Mysteries
    Luther
    Poirot
    Sherlock Holmes, all versions, but Jeremy Brett's my definitive Sherlock
    Wire in the Blood
    Luther
    Mrs. Bradley
    the Peter Wimsey ones with the tall thin blonde actor

I re-watch some like Midsomer, Poirot and Holmes because there are so many of them, and quite frankly, I forget. If I wait long enough it's like seeing them for the first time.
  37. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

I normally don't recommend Irish TV drama series, but Love/Hate is excellent, particularly from the second series on.

http://www.hulu.com/lovehate

It's quite violent and sexually explicit!
  38. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

The Hunger-Horror anthology series with Terrance Stamp as the Host. There's on episode with Lena Headey, Karen Black and Daniel Craig

Jem-For 80's goodness

The British stuff like the Six Wives of Henry VIII and the David Starkey Monarchy Series.
  39. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

Precisely. I get attached to the characters more than anything.
  40. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Oh yeah I also watch; Justified, The Glades, Kings, and Luther.