Netflix Canada

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Norlite, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

Anyone have this?

I was very interested when it was first announced, direct to my TV through my Wii, but just getting around to checking it out now it seems everything being offered is really old. And the selection listed online is very limited.

I want mostly new releases so I can stop running to Blockbuster a couple times a week.

Is that right? Or am I missing something? Do they not offer new movies on the same release day as otherwise available in store?

2. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

We checked out their website and came to the same conclusion. Hardly anything we want to watch is on their list. We are still renting (and paying late fees).

I also resort to using torrent programs for TV shows that I'd can't stream. I'd gladly pay a couple of dollars for an on-demand service like Amazon.com offers, but it isn't available at Amazon.ca.

3. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I am not sure how Canadian and US Netflix differs but Netflix is going to invests MILLIONS more into their online streaming starting very soon. They are also now offering an online streaming only package. They are promising to have newer titles. We were about to get rid of our Netflix because they have nothing to watch except for old movies, foreign movies, documentaries, etc. I love documentaries but I have about watched all the ones I want to see. We decided to hang on to our subscription and give them a chance but if they don't begin adding newer content very soon then we will cancel and just resubscribe later if we hear they have improved.

4. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

That's all they offer in Canada. No postal service.

5. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

But there are other DVD-by-mail services available in Canada. Zip is probably the biggest one -- I've been a member in the past, and the service was amazing. I've also used Videomatica, a fabulous Vancouver-based company that specializes in harder-to-find films, but also has mainstream stuff too.

I agree about Netflix Canada -- totally sucks, not even worth signing up for the free trial. Until the cable companies loosen their strangle-hold on broadcast rights, that isn't like to change.

6. BigB08822

Just wanted to share this video I found. I guess the millions they will be investing on "new" content doesn't mean it will be new releases but just new to netflix. They apparently could never afford the new titles without drastically raising prices. Too bad, looks like our subscription will be done soon. I think this will be the downfall of Netflix. How many people will continue paying every month after they realize that no actual new titles are being added? They get 1 or 2 here or there but this past month I have only seen them add 2 newer movies. Their "new releases" section rarely changes.

http://money.cnn.com/video/technolo...ew_releases_expensive.fortune/?source=cnn_bin

7. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

If you're only looking for new releases, then Netflix Canada won't be for you. For my husband, who likes all kinds of movies, and TV shows, he's completely gotten our money's worth from Netflix. I think he's watched the entire "Heroes" collection since we first subscribed. I started watching "Mad Men" from the start too, but haven't gotten that far.

When I subscribed, the video stores in town had both shut down, but now there's a new one we can go to for new releases. In the meantime, $8/month for all-you-can-watch is working for us.

8. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

I am on the free trial month right now and am enjoying it for the (bad) horror movies, documentaries and TV shows

9. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I signed up for the free trial and have watched enough to make it worthwhile. I don't know if I'll keep it or not once I get through the documentaries that I want to watch.

10. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Hubby had the free trial and discovered that the movies they offer are old ones. Of course, what a lot of people don't seem to realize is that while you are streaming these movies to your computer, you are using up bandwidth. Unless you are on a package that had a true unlimited amount of usage, you may find yourself with a higher internet bill than you expected. What Netflix doesn't tell you is that you may only be paying a nominal amount for the movie, your internet company is tracking how much data is flowing on your account and when you go over, which can happen quite easily when watching movies, ka-ching on your account. That gave us two reasons for not staying with Netflix - older movies and possibly higher internet costs. We decided that since we prefer new movies, we'd either rent the DVD from a store OR use video on demand.

11. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

I guess I am out of the loop because I thought most people had unlimited bandwidth - just goes to show....

12. BigB08822

I thought everyone had unlimited as well. In the US that is the norm, at least in my area. Maybe it isn't for everyone.

13. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

In Canada there's considerably less competition for ISPs (and cell phones), due largely to the technical difficulties in servicing such a large and sparsely populated land. So they can gouge at will. They basically saw Netflix coming and put in the download/bandwidth limits pre-emptively. You can get unlimited plans, but you have to pay a lot more for them.

There have been some complaints lodged with the CRTC (the quango that regulates telecommunications in Canada) about the fact that the various providers charge about 2000% more for the "added service" than what it actually costs them ... and sometime in 2024 it may get resolved, possibly in the consumers' favour. :wall:

14. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

There's a petition right now against usage-based billing for internet service in Canada.

stop the meter If any Canadians are so inclined ;)