Nelson Mandela, 94, in "serious but stable" condition

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Kasey, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Dying patients often get better right before they die.

2. liv

liv Well-Known Member

He endured so much and gave back even more... now it is time to let him go, if the situation is one where he is being kept alivea nd will not recover. I hope his family will give him this (if he is indeed on life support and the situation is one where a "decision" must be made). I hope it is quick and he is kept comfortable, without pain. He does not need to live just a few days more for anyone if it is causing him pain. I hope everyone, when it is their time, gets a quick and painless death if possible.

3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

That's exactly the thought that crossed my mind when I read he was getting better.

4. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

What crossed my mind is that in the past few weeks, the "official" statements, as in, those from government officials, have not been necessarily corroborated by other news....

5. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

7. skatesindreams

8. skatesindreams

9. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I wish they would let that poor man die in peace. What good does it do to keep him alive on life support and a kidney mech.

10. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Ending Mandela's life support 'rejected'

Kind of weird the doctors are allowed to say that actually, I would have thought only the family could. And it's the opposite of what the court documents say (also in the article), which is extra weird. Really, really sad such a great man may not be able to die a dignified death...instead it sounds like he is being used for the court battle. :(

11. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

What court battle?

12. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

There has been a dispute over where Nelson Mandela's children are buried. His health was used to press the courts to make a decision (which I think has now happened).

From the article I posted:

They used the document to get the court to make a decision (which it seems it did, from current reports the remains have been moved), and now that the decision is made, it seems they are no longer "exploring this option" of turning off his life support.

13. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I knew about the dispute over the burial site of his children but I thought that was settled a couple of days ago. The doctors have changed their minds about terminating the life support or the family lied in their statement - sad.

14. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Nelson Mandela turns 95 today. His daughter seems optimistic about his progress. I hope that if or when he does finally go home, for how long nobody knows, that his relatives will keep their squabbles far away from him. This extraordinary man now deserves peace to live out the rest of his life until it is brought to a natural conclusion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-23349739