Neighbor's dog poop

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Gazpacho, May 21, 2012.

1. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

The neighbor's dogs keep pooping on our lawn. Sometimes on the driveway. It's disgusting, and I'm afraid to cut the grass again because last time it went over the poop.

I haven't caught them in the act, but they're the only dogs on the street, so I know it's them.

What should I do? I fear the neighbors are the type to seek revenge by being really loud and obnoxious, so I don't want to start an all-out neighborhood war.

2. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I usually just pick it up because I have no idea who is not picking up after their dog. And I have no idea if my cat is pooping anywhere she shouldn't.

My friend posted a small sign that says "Please pick up after your dog" - it is on a pole with a pouch where she puts the sleeve bags her newspaper comes in so there are bags and no excuse.

3. mag

mag Well-Known Member

It is a tough one. One garbage day the garbage collected refused to empty our can because there was a bag of dog poop in the top of it. We don't have a dog and someone else must have put it there between the time I put the can out and the time the truck came around. I called and was told it was my responsibility to make sure there was no poop in our can ... not sure what they expect? Perhaps I need to guard my can all morning?

Are these the kind of neighbours you could invite for a drink on a Sunday afternoon, preferably right after you have mowed the law? Perhaps you could subtlety swing the conversation around to lawn mowing and picking up poop?

Might be best to just pick up the poop and move on - as annoying as that may be.

4. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

Definitely not! These are inconsiderate neighbors in more than one way.

5. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I would anonymously return the poop to its rightful owner, on their front doorstep. I would repeat as necessary, until they get the hint.

Cupid and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Do you happen to have a toddler handy?

My in-laws took care of this problem, by hiding out in the garage at the time of the offender's walk (it was a regular problem, and they often saw them from the backyard/kitchen) and right as they walked away, the 4-year old came out with a bag and said "would you like me to get our pooper scooper shovel to help you pick that up?"

The offender now walks the dog with a bag in hand. Being admonished by a child is tough.

If you haven't 'caught' them, and don't want to confront them directly, I'm not sure there is much you can do. Passive aggressive behaviors don't usually fix things.

7. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I was just talking about this subject with my son-in-law yesterday. He knew someone that had the same problem as yours. This person tried talking to the dog's owner, ect., nothing got through to him. The person whose lawn was being pooped on decided to pour bacon grease over the poop piles. The next time the dog came over, he smelled the bacon grease, and gobbled up all of his own poop piles! :D

8. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

So the dog suffers because the owners are asses?

9. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

If you have a home owners association, report it to them and maybe they can send the violaters a formal letter.

We had a problem with a previous neighbor- they let the dog out, it went in our lawn constantly and they literally laughed about it. We asked repeatedly (and nicely) for them to clean up after the dog to no avail. They also had more than 27 piles of dog poop in their own back yard (yes we counted!!) that were being added to on a daily basis. It was the middle of the summer and the stench and the flies were disgusting. Finally, we called the cops for health code violations. Matter was taken care of immediately. I felt bad, but the situation was definitely becoming a health hazard.

10. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I knew somebody here would say that! :D :D

11. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

I would just fling it over on their side, let them figure out where each pile landed.

You may also try to actually catch them in the act, most dogs are let out first thing in the morning or last thing at night. Just open the door and watch and not say anything, but let them see that you are watching, and if they leave it there, proceed with above.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

:confused: Where do you put it, if not in the garbage?

13. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

It's amazing what dogs will eat, even if not covered with bacon grease - their own vomit, deer crap, unidentified crap - three items I saw dogs eat...

14. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

I swear that was my first instict. But then I went on to read:

It's a tricky situation. I know a person whose arcades are right along side of the walks, and dogs started finding them attractive. He put a sign out: "This is no dog litter". Strangely enough, it worked. I guess dog owners started feeling ashemed.

But if your neighboughrs are inconsiderete and you put out a sign like that, they might start enjoying to littler your place.

Could you maybe keep the dog away, like with those invisible fences?

15. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

Yeah according to the vet dogs eating dog poop is not at all uncommon and isn't harmful. I do know of one dog that does it and occasionally vomits it right back up. (ew.)
    It does give the world's worst breath. My dog loves to snack on his own poop but my dad is so revolted by it that he has to be monitored every time he goes outside.

16. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Yum! I so know why I'm a cat person ;)

Is there a fine for not picking up after the dog where you live? If so, is that applicable to when dogs poop into yards? If that's the case I would try to catch them in the act and video tape it and call the police.

Otherwise I'd probably do what someone else suggested - "return" the poop.

17. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

18. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

What ever happened to keeping dogs on leashes and controlling their behavior?

19. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

What assholes. I was walking my friend's dog and didn't have a plastic bag on me when she pooped in someone's yard. After the walk, I went back to my car, got a plastic bag, and picked it up.

I'd just fling it over to their side and let them take care of it. :p

20. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Only if you consider eating bacon grease and dog poop to be suffering. Dogs don't. I'm sure that dog thinks it got a rare treat!

The same thing that happened to all polite behavior... nothing really. There have been asshole owners since the beginning of time and always will be.

Though I do think one thing has changed. When I was a kid, dogs and cats tended to be let out unattended more (especially cats) and picking up dog poop wasn't expected. It was seen as "just what dogs do" and as "free fertilizer" by more people. Sure, if a particular dog constantly pooped in just your yard, you might talk to the neighbor, especially he was particularly prolific, but mostly people didn't walk their dogs with plastic bags to pick up their poop.

I think that didn't start being expected behavior until some time in the 70s and at first only in cities -- where dogs would be pooping on the sidewalk, not a lawn. Now that's the norm and not just in cities, either.

Another thing that changed is that people didn't bring their dogs everywhere, not even pet stores. Now it's normal for pet stores to allow dogs and you see a lot more dog owners bringing their dogs with them wherever they go. It's changed so much that MacBoy was quite surprised that he couldn't bring his dog to a grocery store.

I find the change in customs to be interesting.

21. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

I don't think I would say it's the norm. It probably is in places like NYC and CA, but in many other places, pets off-leash is definitely commonplace.

22. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Anthropomorphism - I'd suffer. :lol:

23. Sk8fun

Sk8fun Active Member

Our neighbor's dog used to do the same thing. I eventually got to the point where I would scoop it up and toss it back on their lawn. Not the most mature thing to do but it got it off my grass. Eventually I got to the point that I didn't care if they saw me or not. These people were not surprisingly the same folks that let their twin 5 year olds roam the neighborhood while they sat in the hot tub enjoying. Not a sad day when they moved.

24. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

There isn't a municipality around where I live that doesn't have a leash law. And there are a few dog owners who've had to find out the hard way that, yes, the PTB do take them seriously and will enforce them, especially when said owners have let their dogs run loose and they've attacked someone (NOT just pitbulls either - the latest local dog attack involved two Chocolate Labs attacking a HS gym coach).

I'm not afraid, when I'm out cycling the Mohawk-Hudson bike trail (well marked on all sections that dogs belong on leashes) to raise my voice at owners who let their dogs run off-leash, when those dogs have run, or headed towards, the straight-line path I ride on the right-hand side of the trail. It's not my problem if they want to discover that my frame pump isn't just going to be used to pump up my tires if the situation were to go in that direction - when I was out this weekend, I came upon a couple dogs who, had they not been on leashes, would have easily taken a chunk out of the back of my leg. IMO, dogs like that need to be muzzled in public if they are that "protective".

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  25. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

i think I would try a sign, and a nicely wrapped package of dog poop bags, with a nice note about how your child/niece/grandchild loves to run outside... Maybe a bottle of wine too...for their trouble.
    I that doesn't work...plan B collect a months worth and re-gift it to their front porch!

26. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Growing up, I had a neighbor that posted a hand-lettered "Please Curb Your Dog" sign. (Wasn't our dog; he was always in our backyard or house.) Someone wrote the word "HERE" underneath, *chuckles*. Can't say it solved the problem, but providing the bags might help.

If it's happening at specific times of the day (early morning, after work), a lawn sprinkler discourages visitors. If you want to try the red pepper approach, buy the flakes at a dollar store - cheap works just as well. Don't do both since the sprinkler dilutes the pepper.

The "nosy neighbor" approach can also intimidate them into doing the right thing. Find a reason to be outside; pull a few weeds, carry something to the car, put up the flag. Be sure to say hi so they know you're right there. If the dog is out there solo, you can say hello to it in a loud voice, asking "Whose doggy are you?"

If they're doing the lazy "open the door and let the dog out" nonsense without a leash, just report them to the HOA or animal control. Dogs should be on a leash or in their yard.

27. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Here in Vancouver most people walk their dogs on leashes. Those who don't usually have their dogs under control without a leash, some dogs are good that way (though even then, accidents can happen). For example, I've seem dogs patiently waiting for their owners untied outside of stores not move an inch nor respond to other people, other dogs, or loud noises. My dog is not one such and I don't even take her out to the car off-leash, because she might take off if saw she another dog or go down the street/across the street to greet people. Some of the neighbours' kids are scared of dogs and I need to make sure Luna doesn't run up to them.

Off-leash dog parks are popular here, though, and when you go there you accept the risk that some dogs may be aggressive or not under control. But for the most part the dogs get along remarkably well and have a great time at the park, as do their owners. Dogs are much better at getting along with each other, and with humans, than humans are at at getting along with each other.:)

People in rural areas are likely less stringent. We have friends who live on a farm and they have outside dogs who run loose all the time. There aren't a lot of people around but more than once the dogs have been hit by cars on the road. Makes me just :mad:

28. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Other than the idiots that don't want to deal with their dog's poop while on a hike -- who often kindly leave plastic bags of dog poop along the trail -- we don't have a whole lot of problem with that.

Have you thought about using Critter Ridder? http://www.havahart.com/ourbrands/critter-ridder

They wouldn't have to know.

29. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

If neighbours are difficult, the only way is to kill them with niceness. Go round with a massive giggly friendly smile on your face, bring them some random gift ("we've been given waaay too many fruits and can't eat them all, would you like some" or something)...

Apologize for making too much noise with your lawnmower, then as you leave ":and by the way, I wanted to ask you a maaassive favour, I'm really sorry to ask you this, I have a phobia of dog poop, and I've been finding some on my lawn. I think it must some kids from down the road with their dog, and I'm going to try and watch to catch them, but if it happens when I'm not there and you see them, could you like, tell them to pick it up.
    And I think that the other day, I know you didn't do it on purpose and it doesn't matter, but I think just once your dog did it too and because you see I'm such an idiot and I have this phobia of dog poop, I 'd really appreciate your help".

Exit with dizzy smile of appreciation for having such wonderful neighbours. Visit other neighbours with fruit to make the point you are not singling them out. :EVILLE:

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  30. Ice Queen

Ice Queen New Member

When I was a kid, we had a man in the neighborhood post a sign that read:

This is not a bank, please don't let your dog deposit here. I think it helped with owners that walked their dogs....but roaming dogs can't read. :lol: The funny thing is, the owners back yard was loaded with his own dogs poop.

Since your neighbors are inconsiderate, this is not an easy solution. Tossing the poop back is risky & could cause alot more problems for you. I would suggest you figure out when these dogs are doing this. If at all possible, get a picture of them on your lawn. Then contact animal control and report the problem. A picture is very valuable in a situation like this. Because, just reporting it, the owners could just deny it's their dog. Even if, the are the only dogs in the neighborhood.

Good luck, I know it's hard dealing with difficult neighbors.