Need help with Greek alphabet/numbers/symbols

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Sassafras, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

I'm working on a puzzle that uses a combination of translating Greek letters into the English alphabet to spell words and numbers and also using Greek numbers. I have most of it figured out so I won't bore you with the entire puzzle.

Can someone (with knowledge of Greek or possibly math symbols) tell me what an italicized 0 stands for?

2. hoptoad

hoptoad Well-Known Member

probably omicron. (o-micron vs o-mega)

3. Indra486

Indra486 Well-Known Member

Theta?

4. Sassafras

Okay. Omicron could stand for the number 70 but I can't seem to get that figured into the rest puzzle to come up with the correct coordinates I need. Fortunately the puzzle has a "checker" to see if your answer is correct.

5. Sassafras

It's definitely not theta as the symbol for that is used already in the puzzle for the number 9. Thanks, though. I'm open to any ideas in case I've overlooked something.

6. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Omicron (or o) at one point represented zero. Not sure if that helps.

7. Sassafras

Thanks. I'll see if that helps. I may have to change a few of my other answers as the more I check, the more I find other possibilities.

8. swtblueeyes

swtblueeyes New Member

I'd go with omicron as well, but if they aren't the exact symbols, it could also look like

alpha (1)
    delta (4)
    sigma (200)
    phi (500)
    Qoppa (90)

Is it an online puzzle ?!

9. Sassafras

It is online at geocaching.com but this particular puzzle is for a "Premium Member" geocache so you wouldn't be able to view it.

The solution to the puzzle gives the coordinates for a geocache. After solving the puzzle, you go to the coordinates and try to find the container hidden there.

It is definitely not any of the other symbols you mentioned.

Here is a similar puzzle. If you scroll down the page, look at the part that says Here are the coordinates:

The puzzle I'm trying to solve is almost identical, but there are some different symbols as the final coordinates are in Colorado rather than Louisiana.

10. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  11. Sassafras

12. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

13. Sassafras

Solved the puzzle. The italicized omicron was being used for the number 70. The person who made up the puzzle italicized it to differentiate it from the parts of the puzzle where the omicron was being used for the letter "o" and the number 0. But there was another little trick in there that I was stumbling over which is why the 70 didn't seem to work.

Thanks!