Need Coffee Recommendation for Gift

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Garden Kitty, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I want to get some coffee for someone as a gift (whole beans or ground, not the "K" cups), but I don't drink coffee and have no idea what would make a nice gift. I want to get them something they likely haven't tried before, so any recommendations for a nice local/regional company or something with an interesting flavor would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Can you get Stumptown coffee beans? They're originally from Portland.

3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

4. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

5. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Thanks for the suggestions! Whichever ones I don't use this time, I'll bookmark since I like to get specialty food gifts for a number of events. I know people will like them and they won't add to clutter. These look great!

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

All of the brands I buy are local/regional for the Vancouver areas, so naming them wouldn't help you much. I do encourage you to select a Fair Trade and Rainforest Alliance (or similar) certified brand, though. For a luxury item like coffee, it's pretty bad karma to give a gift that exploits workers or devastates natural habitats.

JMO :shuffle:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Hey, Artemis, got an iPhone? iPad? Bad karma.

8. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Granted there are few things one can buy that don't exploit workers, but coffee is one where we do have a choice. Adding to Fair Trade and Rainforest Alliance, there's also a Just-us brand in a few places( in Canada at least) which has some fabulous beans. I'm not fond of flavoured coffees - but they abound. Vienna has a hint of cardamom, and there are lots of liqueur variations that sound particularly festive. Starbucks and Second Cup have a pretty good reputation as far as treating workers in their shops, AND a reasonable rep as far as paying fair prices go. I have also seen a new brand (I think Asanti) which is marketed by independent growers. Not a lot of flavours in that one, but a good coffee.

9. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I don't actually. But I don't see how that has anything to do with choosing which brand of coffee buy.

10. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Don't know where you are but I do have some suggestions. Do you know if your friends prefer light, medium or dark? That might narrow things down. How do they feel about the flavoured coffees? While I love coffee, the flavoured ones make me feel nauseous. De-caf? And you might want to consider the free trade ones if you're inclined that way.

11. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I've got some great suggestions and am set now for Christmas, but if you have other suggestions, I'd appreciate them. I like to bookmark a variety of unique food sites to keep for reference. Coffee and tea are always popular gifts. My family tends to prefer medium blend as a daily coffee, but will drink others every so often for treats. Non-flavored is also the choice for daily drinking, but they'll use flavored for leisurely Sunday morning breakfasts.

12. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Any Arabica from Costa Rica would do, IMO. As a coffee lover, I would recommend whole beans, not ground.

13. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Green Mountain Coffee has a good selection. Some Fair Trade options, too, and they're very environmentally conscious.

14. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

15. backspin

backspin Active Member

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Yes, whole beans please.

17. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

Peace Coffee out of Minneapolis is Fair Trade & Organic - I've liked every roast I've gotten from them, especially the Twin Cities Blend. They take online orders.

http://www.peacecoffee.com/