Need A New TV Series To Love

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by RubyLaRhumba, Mar 24, 2011.

1. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Can you rent Misfits in the USA? I can't wait for season 3. It's a very quirky but fascinating series.
  2. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Oh yes! Misfits is great!
  3. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Another one (how could I forget?!), still in production: House. First 6 seasons currently available on DVD.
  4. Clytie

Clytie New Member

I almost never watch tv but I do have to echo the love for BSG. I really liked it more than I thought I would- and there is some nice eye candy as well.
    Other shows I really enjoyed that are over and would recommend -
    Nikita- kind of bleak and sometimes eye-rolling but I watched because I was a huge fan of the story of Michael and Nikita. I am getting into the reboot as well.
    Oz- I never thought I would watch a prison drama but it was one of my favourite programs. I can't watch a program unless I like at least one person and literally there was only one on there I liked (Said) yet I still kept watching.
    I am giving half a recommendation to Profiler. Just because I like shows with strong female leads. Other parts of the show bothered me. It also has some great actors in it.

As for other shows of those currently on- I've stopped watching Criminal Minds but loved the first 4 seasons.
    I am just getting into The Closer. I think its run is almost over so its going into the series done shelf soon.
  5. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I would second Profiler. Without a Trace is in a similar vein.
  6. JumpinBug

JumpinBug New Member

If you say Profiler, I have to throw in Pretender as well. :)
  7. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Throwing another vote to Alias. I loved that show although I try to forget the parts of the later seasons when Syd lost two years of her life and Vaughn was like a pod man instead of the awesome, hot man he started off as on the show, LOL :lol:
  8. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Spin Alissa Spin!!!

I would rent "most" any series that was made for HBO and Showtime that you don't see on regular TV. They are the shows that get many of the nominations during awards season.

It's better to see them in their uncut versions: True Blood, US's of Tara, Nurse Jackie, Dexter, Sex and The City, Rome, The Soprano's, The Tudors, Six Feet Under....and many more. One show that was canceled by HBO too soon that I loved....Lisa Kudrow's "The Comeback".

Don't forget about new series like Shameless and Episodes....I love them both.

Starz has some new shows starting, but I haven't had a chance to check them out yet.
  9. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

New
    - Sherlock
    - Mad Men
    - Curb your Enthusiasm

Old (these are very popular and are still running in USA on PBS, but in case you did not know of themÂ…).
    - Fawlty Towers
    - Are you Being Served
    - Keeping Up Appearances
    - Doc Martin
  10. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Dexter
    Six Feet Under
    Desperate Housewives
    Arrested Development
    Pushing Daisies
    Wonderfalls
    True Blood
    Joan of Arcadia
    Freaks and Geeks
    Reba
    Life As We Know It
    Everwood
    Dawson's Creek
    Torchwood
    Dead Like Me
    My So Called Life
    The Closer
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    Angel
    Queer As Folk
    CSI
    CSI: Miami
    Without A Trace
  11. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I forgot Leverage. Good "heist"-type show on TNT.
  12. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

As Time Goes By
    Coach
    Burn Notice

-Bridget
    shan and (deleted member) like this.
  13. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

I've seen all the 24 episodes / seasons. I'd definitely start with season 1. The concept may get tired after awhile, but until it does it is :kickass:. And it'd probably be pretty cool to watch it more in "real time," as opposed to one hour per week. :lol:

Sherlock is really good. But far to few episodes. :drama:

I watched Luther on BBCA recently. So good! And Idris Elba is :swoon: . Are they filming any more episodes?

I loved The X Files, and enjoy Fringe, but the latter has issues with the quality of the acting by the two leads. That said, I really like the premise and the current season's bouncing back and forth between the two universes.

I completely missed the first season of Life, but really enjoyed the second season. Is there somewhere I can find the first season? Damian Lewis is :swoon: .
  14. Bunny Hop

Bunny Hop Accept no substitutes

:cheer2: Slings and Arrows is brilliant, and everyone who likes quirky programmes should go and watch it immediately. And if you do end up :swoon: over Paul Gross (be still my beating heart), then you should definitely also try Due South. It's a buddy cop show about a Canadian Mountie from the Northwest Territories who ends up working in Chicago and solving crimes with a Chicago Detective. With his wolf.
  15. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I loved Slings and Arrows but was indifferent to Due South.

Sometimes what grabs one person leaves another person cold.

By all means keep trying different suggestions and enjoy the ones you enjoy.

I've given up on most US broadcast shows. I might try a couple new ones each year and maybe stick with one. I prefer renting the HBO/Showtime ones, even if that does leave me a year behind on some that are still running. Many are the years that I've watched more skating broadcasts than acted shows.
  16. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Agh, how could I EVER forget about Drop Dead Diva?! I LOVE that show! Seasons 1 & 2 have aired on Lifetime and the 1st Season was released to DVD last year. It's seriously one of the best tv series EVAH and definitely worthy of more viewers! You won't be disappointed! :cheer2::encore:
  17. Verbalgirl77

Verbalgirl77 is silently judging you

Based on your tastes, check out:

The Wire
    Fringe
    Misfits (if you can track it down)
    Friday Night Lights
    Dexter
    Mad Men
    Sherlock
    The Good Wife

Only The Wire and Friday Night Lights are now off the air.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  18. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

I was gifted the Slings and Arrows box set but haven't watched it yet. I loved Due South. If you are/become a Paul Gross fan then you must really try to find the made for TV movie Getting Married in Buffalo Jump (CBC I think). He was soooo hot in that your screen will melt for sure :eek:. It was also a really cute story.
  19. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

Hulu, netflix, the usual suspects? Agreed, Damian Lewis was :kickass:. Also check your PMs.
  20. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I read that BBC will air two new two-hour episodes of Luther sometime this year. The same site reported that there will be three new 90 minute Sherlock episodes also.

Idris Elba was great; I don't remember seeing him in anything before Luther. Ruth Wilson was a revelation as such an evil character. I remember seeing her in one of the many TV versions of Jane Eyre. Talk about a switch!
  21. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Excellent suggestions, and for basically an adult version of the same, I'd recommend Once and Again. Unfortunately, the third and final (and probably best) season isn't available on DVD, but the first two seasons are still great.

Love this thread. I'm getting a ton of ideas myself.

To whomever mentioned Luther upthread, I read that at least 2 new episodes have been completed, possibly with more to follow. No official word on when they will air, though.
  22. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

Thanks!

She was also in the recent remake of The Prisoner. I agree she is delightfully evil in Luther.

I think Idris Elba was in The Wire, which I never had the chance to see.
  23. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I just finished season 2 of Skins (UK). I bawled and bawled my eyes out. Has anyone seen the entire series up to now? I am wondering how much I am going to like it now that all the kids I fell in love with have moved on. I wonder if I can get into a new set of kids. I like the concept, though, but I just wonder if the chemistry will be there.
  24. Verbalgirl77

Verbalgirl77 is silently judging you

The first season with the second cast was decent. Their 2nd season (season 4)...not so much. But the first season of the 3rd cast just finished and I really enjoyed that.
  25. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Yes, he was, and if you like gritty dramas you should watch it.
  26. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Justified. Lord have mercy, if Timothy Olyphant in a cowboy hat doesn't give you a thrill.....you have no pulse.

But it is a great show, with tons of great character actors.

I think The Shield is the best series I ever saw. Hard to take sometimes, but fabulous in every way-acting, writing, etc. I also loved The Unit by the same people. I have a thing for Max Martini.

We watch all the CSIs, Blue Bloods, Chicago Code, and Hawaii 5 0. Yeah-it's just eye candy, but what's wrong with that?

I used to love Rome-at least the first season. I am mourning the fact that we don't have the channels to see Gladiators or Camelot. Talk about eye candy....
  27. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I'm a huge fan of True Blood. It's pretty campy, but it gets a pass because they know it's campy and work with it. Plus, lots of eye candy and some decent acting. And it's vampires 'done right' IMO, because for the most part, they're pretty badass.

Dexter is just amazing. It has had its not so great seasons, but when it's good, it's amazing. How Michael C. Hall hasn't won an Emmy (or Jennifer Carpenter been nominated) for this show...

For comedies, I love Community. It's smart but funny. And it's caused me to develop a huge crush on Joel McHale, and Chevy Chase is hilarious in it.

If you like miniseries, I'd recommend Generation Kill - it's from a few years ago but it's based on true events of some recon marines in Iraq. I didn't understand the lingo they spoke through most of it, but somehow I got sucked in (and not just because of Alexander Skarsgard in uniform).
  28. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Yay, new board!

Watch! In The Wire Elba played Stringer Bell, a major character in the first 3 seasons (esp. Seasons 1 & 3). ;)

Seconded.

Justified is on my list of shows to watch. I enjoyed Olyphant in Deadwood and Damages.

I watched all seasons of The Shield, and agree that it was a good show. I still prefer The Wire over The Shield, but they are both worth watching.
  29. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

If you like quirky detective shows with a touch of comedy, Justified and The Glades are both a little off beat. (and I agree with Holly about Timothy Olyphant!)
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  30. Skate Talker

(Duplicate - See below )
  31. Skate Talker

Another one along that vein is Memphis Beat staring Jason Lee, (Earl in My Name is Earl). He plays a police detective with new boss played by Alfre Woodard. Jason's character will often sing and play blues in a club after work and is obviously an Elvis fan. It is slightly lighter than Justified and the scrumptious Timothy Oliphant, but a bit more serious than The Glades with a much more interesting main character.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memphis_Beat

(Very interesting - no new shows have been broadcast for a while and I initially thought the name was The Big Easy and set in New Orleans. I did at least remember that the locale played a major part in the text of the show. It was thinking about the character's love of Elvis music that helped me recall the correct name of the show. Maybe it was subconscious and info on this link may explain my confusion.)
  32. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

I second this. Alias is a good show too. :)
  33. sk8sue

sk8sue SHERLOCKED

Not sure if this fits your profile, but for anyone looking for an excellent half-hour comedy I recommend Frasier, especially the first 5 seasons, although there are very good episodes in the back half as well, just less consistently. This is one of the all-time greats. Episodes are written as if they were stage plays, with longer scenes than most sitcoms. I was able to buy a dvd set a few years ago that had seasons 1-5 and the final season (11) packaged together.

And I would like to be added to the list recommending Sherlock. It`s fabulously written, with great chemistry between the actors playing Sherlock and John. If you like to save up and watch episodes all at once, though, you may want to wait until there`s another season, since as previously mentioned there`s only 3 episodes in each. Last I heard, series 2 doesn`t start filming until May. I got the impression that it was pushed back from the original schedule for Martin Freeman`s filming on The Hobbit which just started filming this month in New Zealand. He returns to Britain in May to film Sherlock, then he`s back to New Zealand to finish The Hobbit.
  34. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Also, Benedict Cumberbatch is starring in Frankenstein in London. (Some American cities are showing filmed versions of the play -- I'm going next month!)
  35. sk8sue

sk8sue SHERLOCKED

Ooo, thanks for the info. Is he playing the monster?

On the topic, I recommend LOST, Being Human (both UK and NA versions are ok with me), Arrested Development, Pushing Daisies, Gilmore Girls, and Monk.

I loved Due South, but have never seen Slings and Arrows. Maybe I`ll check that out. Thanks for the thread.
  36. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Dollhouse.

They knew the second season was their last, so they completed the story arc. The acting in the series- especially from Fran Kranz and Enver Gjokaj - is very very good. It's my favourite science fiction series ever. (No aliens, just a future/alternate earth)
  37. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

From what I've been able to gather, Benedict Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller are alternating the roles of Doctor Frankenstein and the Creature. I believe that Cumberbatch was the Doctor in the performance that was filmed and broadcast in the movie theatres, but I won't know for sure until I see it on Thursday night. :) (It aired in Canada on Mar 24, with an encore on Thurs. the 31st. at select Cineplex lotations.) BTW, another reason to see this production if you can: it was directed by Danny Boyle.

Another good reason to wait if you can: season 1 ended on a cliffhanger!

(BTW, Cumberbatch had a brief role in a film I saw this weekend: Four Lions. It's a satire about suicide bombers. Hilarious and brilliant, but probably not for everyone.)
  38. sk8sue

sk8sue SHERLOCKED

Yes, that thought was in the back of my mind, too.:cool:

Thanks for that other information re Benedict. I've enjoyed him in Atonement and Amazing Grace since first discovering him in Sherlock. Also, Starter for 10 was on tv one day, but on a french channel, so I couldn't hear his lovely voice.

Speaking of Jonny Lee Miller, another good show that ended too soon was Eli Stone, a victim of what I'll call coming-on-after-LOST syndrome.
    I figure that after LOST everybody ran off to think about/discuss the latest revelations or just ask somebody else what the heck just happened:lol:, so nobody stuck around to watch the next show, so there was a new follow-up show every few months, with the previous one having been cancelled.

I caught enough of Eli Stone to be intrigued, so I just started recording it and watching it later. It's a law show with fantasy elements and some on-going drama between the regular characters. Due to an aneurysm Eli has guiding visions which usually(always?) include musical numbers. It also has the great Victor Garber in it and he sings. It has two 13-episode seasons.
  39. Bunny Hop

Bunny Hop Accept no substitutes

You're not wrong. He's very easy on the eyes in that film. Also try 'Wilby Wonderful' - another quirky story. He's not quite so cute in it, but it's a good film (why yes, I do have a shelf full of Paul Gross DVDs, why do you ask?).
  40. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

It still drives me nuts that Life was cancelled!!!!! :mad:

Nothing new to add except another shout-out for the West Wing.