Need A New TV Series To Love

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by RubyLaRhumba, Mar 24, 2011.

1. RubyLaRhumba

RubyLaRhumba New Member

Help guys! I'm looking for a new (old) show to rent on DVD. I've done SATC, X-Files, Ugly Betty, Nip/Tuck, all the Law & Orders. What do you suggest?

2. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

Lost or The Tudors

3. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I'm hooked on Weeds and True Blood. The first season of Nurse Jackie was good, too.

4. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Psych or White Collar, although the latter's second season won't be on DVD till June.

5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I have tons to recommend, I love TV series. Good thread, by the way, as I am always looking for new ones myself:

Lost (if you like getting REALLY involved in shows)
    Weeds (one of my favorites)
    Skins (UK version, just began watching and I love it)
    Nurse Jackie
    United States of Tara
    Desperate Housewives
    Dexter (love this, can't wait for new season)

You might like Lost based on liking X-files but again, it is really about investing your time, you can't just put this show on as background noise and keep up.

Weeds is my best recommendation, you can also buy the seasons for cheap compared to most shows. I think most are around $25.00

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  6. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

One that's over, available on DVD, and AMAZING, is Life on Mars (original UK version). I think that one is perfect for you, because it's both a police procedural, and sci fi, so it goes with both your X Files and Law & Order likes. I adored that show:
    http://www.amazon.com/Life-Mars-UK-...2SAW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1300991237&sr=8-2

The only show I currently really love is Being Human (original UK version). Since you liked X files, you may like that one as well. It's airing season 3 right now, but seasons 1&2 are available on DVD.
    http://www.amazon.com/Being-Human-S...ERF6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300991200&sr=8-1

If you liked Sex and the City, and you wouldn't mind something way funnier, you may like AbFab:
    http://www.amazon.com/Absolutely-Fa...ef=sr_1_5?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1300991355&sr=1-5

I liked Sherlock, a modern take on the Sherlock Holmes story. It's really very good, and you may like it, since you liked L&O. Season one is done now. It's only 3 episodes long. They're filming season 2:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sherlock-Season-One-Benedict-Cumberbatch/dp/B004132HZS/ref=wl_mb_hu_m_T2_3_dp

:lol: All my recommendations are British.

7. Wyliefan

Speaking of British comedies reminds me of Blackadder, which is hilarious. (Bear in mind that season 1 -- or series 1, as the Brits would say -- is markedly different from the other seasons in tone and character. Still fairly funny, but I'd say they didn't quite have their act together yet. You might even want to start with the second season, and go back to the first one later.)

Oh, and I'm enjoying Sherlock too.

8. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

9. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Oh, I loved Battlestar Galactica - the new one, not the one from the 1970's. Highly recommended. Great idea!

10. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

One of my favourites to go back to again and again is The West Wing. The writer in me is totally in love with Aaron Sorkin.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  11. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

So many already mentioned that I love!

Of shows that have finished, I loved:
    The West Wing
    The Wire

Of shows still going...
    Mad Men (Wonderful...although sometimes hard to watch).
    The Good Wife
    Castle (very funny, easy to watch police show).
    Sherlock
    United States of Tara (Same as Mad Men - sometimes difficult to watch)
    Being Human

12. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

We've really enjoyed watching Entourage and Californication on DVD, and we pvr Weeds so we can watch 3 eps at a time as we do with the DVDs. There's something great about enjoying a show and being able to see another one right away. The lone season of Swingtown might fit into the same category of more adult/cable style shows.

If you like Lost, you might also enjoy the old Twin Peaks series - we loved it at the time, and 20 years later it still holds up.

If anyone likes high quality but short-lived teen dramas, My So Called Life and Freaks and Geeks (James Franco!) have really good boxed sets.

13. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I would suggest:

Six Feet Under
    Damages
    The Wire
    True Blood
    Pushing Daisies
    Dexter

14. LisaS

LisaS New Member

Dexter, we watched 5 seasons in a month. Awesome Show!!!

15. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

For mainstream/network shows, I second the vote for The West Wing -- still one of the best network series ever, even with the slight decline in quality in the last 2 seasons. Castle is fun too -- nice to have a police series that isn't all dark & gritty. Others I'd recommend that might fit your tastes would be The Gilmore Girls and Joan of Arcadia (the latter sadly only lasting 2 seasons).

For cable series, I'll second the vote for United States of Tara, but can't recommend Nurse Jackie -- great performances to be sure, but I just can't muster any connection to the main character ... Some others I'd add to the list would be:
    ~ Dead Like Me -- quirky series about a 20-year-old slacker who is killed in a freak accident ... then finds out she has to serve time as a grim reaper. Lots of humour mixed with poignancy. 2 seasons plus a movie.
    ~ Slings and Arrows -- about a fictional theatre town (based on Stratford no doubt). Centres around the reluctant theatre director, played by the always delicious Paul Gross; more quirky humour; lots of art vs. commerce stuff. Oh, and a ghost. 3 6-episode seasons, each one centring around the production of a different play: 1=Hamlet, 2=The Scottish Play, 3=Lear.

For UK series, Life on Mars is brilliant, and Being Human has some good stuff. My all-time favourites though are:
    ~ Doctor Who (post 2005 -- aka "NuWho") -- classic scifi with a quirky feel
    ~ Torchwood -- darker and sexier spinoff of Doctor Who
    ~ MI-5 (aka Spooks) -- about, well, MI-5
    ~ Hustle -- about a gang of con artists

16. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

The best show on television, ever. Incredibly intense.

And since you like Law & Order, I would recommend another series by David Simon - Homicide, Life on the Street.

17. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

Torchwood
    Doctor Who
    Firefly
    Dresden Files

Can you tell I like Sci-fi?

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  18. RubyLaRhumba

RubyLaRhumba New Member

Oh lots of possibilities here! I LOVED My So Called Life when it originally aired & still can't believe it lasted only a season. I've been contemplating Twin Peaks. Any of you that like the Law & Order type thing- I'd strongly suggest Southland. It started on NBC for only a season or so and was kicked over to cable. The writer in me loves the grittiness of it.

19. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Third Watch!! But only Season 1-2 of six seasons are available at this time. My most favorite show EVER. I don't know why the hell they can't get the rest of the seasons out.

20. talulabell

talulabell New Member

I'd add 24 to the growing list. I only watched the last 3 seasons, but I've heard great things about the earlier seasons. I've been meaning to go back and watch from the start.

21. SandraMGfan

SandraMGfan Active Member

Keeping with the British theme, I suggest a sitcom: Gavin and Stacey. Hilarious.
    It has 3 seasons and a Christmas Special.

22. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Some have already been mentioned so I apologize for repeats, but here's my list!

LOST
    The Tudors
    Rome
    Vampire Diaries
    Firefly
    Fringe (I haven't seen it, but I keep hearing it's AMAZING so I'm renting it over the summer!)
    Dexter
    Merlin

Also, for anyone that loved the Tudors don't forget that the Borgias should be starting before too long IIRC.

23. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Apr 3. At least that's the premiere date in Canada (on Bravo), probably the same for Showtime in the US.

I'm actually hoping it will be a lot better than The Tutors ... :slinkaway:

24. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Lost! Also, Friends, ER, Dallas, Dynasty and thirtysomething.

25. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

Psych. It's the only current show I watch. Laugh my head off everytime I see Shawn and Gus (no matter how many times I've seen the episode).

Other favorites would be:
    Fawlty Towers
    Perfect Strangers
    Monk

And for really classic, The Dick Van Dyke Show & I admit to loving all the black & white episodes of The Andy Griffith Show

-Bridget

26. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

ooo thirtysomething! Haven't seen that since it originally aired - does it hold up? The DVDs on Amazon ain't cheap.

27. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

The first 3 seaons of 30something are sold at HMV for 20 bucks per set (at least at the downtown location). The fourth and final season is $40 but it should go down eventually.

And I think it's still great. Love the acting and writing, and makes me emotional. And the extras are fantastic!

28. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

This thread reminded me of another show I loved back in the day - Knots Landing. It used to be repeated twice a week here (US and Canadian airings) and it was so good I'd watch it both times. A friend and I used to call each other during commercials - no hellos, just straight to OMG!

I caught a couple of episodes on one of the soap channels a few years back, and was sucked right in again. Sadly, only the first two of 14 seasons are on DVD, and it's really the middle seasons that are the best.

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Wyliefan

Same thing with Early Edition. And I loved the third season (even though Kristy Swanson was a pain in the butt). :(

30. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:kickass: Yes! And judging by what you list in your opening post, I agree with the suggestion of Dead Like Me. Along those lines, I also suggest these other short-lived - woefully underappreciated - series ...

Action (Naughty-before-its-time Jay Mohr/Illeana Douglas comedy about the dog-eat-dog life in the television industry)

Deadwood (best writing ever for a drama ... but don't go there is your ears cannot take continual cussing or your eyes continual violence)

Better Off Ted (cool love child of Allie McBeal and Just Shoot Me, with a tour de force Portia De Rossi)