NCAA Football thread 2011

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Yehudi, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

2. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

3. UMBS Go Blue

4. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

So assuming they are able to prove the allegations against Miami, does anyone think they will get the death penalty?
  5. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

If not for this, then when? If Miami doesn't get it for this, then the death penalty is just an idle threat.
  6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Great game last night from LSU! So proud of them and Lee did a great job. Oregon handed us too many points, looks like LSU's luck continues for now.
  7. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I almost feel sorry for New Mexico. Almost. Woo Pig Sooie. Razorbacks :D
  8. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

9. BigB08822

Hope the coach is going to be ok!

Went to the LSU game but we left after half time. Great game for LSU and we got our new quarterback in for the entire 2nd half and he did very well.
  10. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Holy crap. Was in the Big House tonight for that game! There are no words!
  11. UMBS Go Blue

12. BigB08822

I feel kind of bad but my boyfriend and I were loudly cheering on Michigan at a restaurant after we left the LSU game. There were two people sitting at the bar being absolutely obnoxious about Notre Dame and how they had the game won. I told my bf we should start cheering on Michigan and hope for the best so we could see those twats crying into their beers. Well, whadya know!? I thought Michigan had it won, then lost it, then they won it anyway! What a game. The twats stormed out after the final TD. It would have been oh so sweet if Michigan did score on that very final mistake by ND, the twats wouldn't have understood what happened because when they left there was only 2 seconds left in the game and ND had the ball. :lol:
  13. BigB08822

LSU had a rare Thursday game at Miss State. LSU won 19 to 6. Good game for Lee, he did have 1 interception but otherwise a pretty flawless game. The offense should have turned some of those field goals into TDs but their defense was great and only allowed 2 field goals.
  14. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch New Member

Gearing up for another great weekend of college football. So far this year kudos to LSU for winning a super tough opener over a very good Oregon team. Then beating a solid Miss St team on the road, good start to the season for them. LSU looks to have a great defense this year.

The Big 10 is so much deeper now by adding Nebraska to the conference. I can't see any Big 10 school going undefeated this season. Wisconsin is the heavy favorite in their division and I expect either Neb or Michigan State will play them in the first Big 10 championship. I don't think its happening for Ohio State this year. Expect the Buckeyes to finish 8-4/7-5. With all of their internal problems they're due for a fall. Denard Robinson is an exciting player but until Michigan can learn to play defense they will struggle to win games in the conference. Teams like Penn St and Iowa will probably be also-rans this year.

Some quick predictions for today's top games:

Oklahoma over FSU - Is FSU really a top 5 team after going 7-6 last year? Not IMO. Oklahoma wins but not by 30 like last year.

Miami, Fla over Ohio State - revenge for the 2003 National Title game

Texas over UCLA - revenge for last year

Mich. State over Notre Dame - ND is a desperate team but the Spartans have too much offensive firepower. Should be a high scoring game. MSU has great depth on offense: excellent QB, 3 good RB's, 4 solid WR's and 3 excellent TE's.

Clemson over Auburn - Auburn's winning streak comes to an end.

Illinois over Arizona State - 2 solid teams. Illini win at home. ASU might play for first Pac-10 championship since Stanford/Oregon are in same division.

Time to get ready for another 13 hour marathon. :)
  15. BigB08822

What do you mean? LSU beat Oklahoma to win in 2003 at the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans.
  16. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

It was the 2002 season, but the OSU-Miami game was played in January, 2003. Maybe that's where the date confusion has happened?

As for this year's Big Ten....if Nebraska continues to sputter on offense except for a few big plays and not perform to potential on defense as they did last week, I don't see them in the title game. In fact, some fans may end up missing the patsies of the Big 12 North by season's end.
  17. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

BC sucks. Thats all I gotta say
  18. Theatregirl1122

No discussion of the big conference realignment rumors of the day? Syracuse and Pitt have applied to the ACC. From what we've heard, they wouldn't have applied if they didn't know the answer was yes.
  19. rfisher

The Hogs won, but it was a good thing Troy wasn't that good because we gave them a lot of chances. Razorback offense against Crimson Tide defense next week at Tuscaloosa. I'm afraid to watch.
  20. BigB08822

Is it just me or have their been far fewer early season upsets than in seasons past? I'm used to at least one big team going down every week but not so far...(of course, #5 lost but they played #1)
  21. OlieRow

OlieRow Well-Known Member

Undecided. It definitely reinforces that the ACC is a basketball conference and I think it'd help stabilize the ACC in the event that 1 or 2 teams bolt but I guess I'm old school and like the idea of smaller, more geographically linked conferences. I know these decisions are made on $$$/football/basketball, but I can't help but think about rowing too. Adding Syracuse gives 7 teams and means that if one of the other rowing schools leaves then there's still 6 which is the minimum # needed for an automatic bid to NCAAs. Of course if Clemson happens to leave, I'm less concerned with what the ACC has... In terms of lacrosse, the ACC men would be even deeper - UVA, Duke, UNC, plus Syracuse?!

This puts the ACC at 14 teams. If they added 2 more to get to the magic 16, I think they'd probably go with "northern tier" schools - from a collapsing Big East?? The ESPN article mentioned UConn and Rutgers as possibilities. Although it also mentioned Texas which I can't really see happening, but could be an interesting idea.

The new $20mil buyout from the ACC makes it hard for me to see teams leaving. I know Clemson was mentioned in some of the SEC rumors but I don't see the athletic department having that kind of cash to throw around. I'd make some tongue in cheek comment about having to pay so much to buy out Bowden's contract (that should have never been re-upped) that we didn't have enough to hire a head coach with any experience, but I apologized through the TV to Dabo Swinney yesterday so I'll refrain. :lol: He was adorable after the win yesterday - which was probably the biggest win for Clemson football in several years with the national audience and it being against the defending champs (albeit a very different team from a year ago).
  22. PDilemma

I can't believe any conference would want Texas. Don't let them fool you, the impending demise of the Big 12 is at their feet. They will derail any move by any conference they are in if it does not directly benefit them more than the conference itself. It would be best if they were just left to play intra-squad games on the Longhorn Network.
  23. BigB08822

Texas can go sit in a corner all by themselves for all I care. Can't stand them.

LSU back up to #2. I actually like what I have seen this year with Bama and LSU having been switching spots. It more accurately reflects what teams they played instead of the mentality that no one moves down without losing first. Although, I do disagree with Boise St. having received two #1 votes. Do they even play a ranked team besides TCU later on? Their schedule is so weak. 3 weeks in and LSU has beaten #3 and #25 with games against Bama, Arkansas, and West Virginia still to come and I am not mentioning all of them.
  24. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

25. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch New Member

Week 4 is now upon us. Let's take a look at this week's best match-ups.

LSU @ West Virginia - LSU is to be applauded for their Sept schedule. Oregon, Miss St, and and WVU! Tough game but LSU's defense should be enough to get the win for them.

FSU @ Clemson - Another loss and FSU could be reeling. Always tough to win in Death Valley. FSU in a close one.

Oklahoma St @ Texas A&M - Best match-up of the day. 2 top 10 teams. Last year OSU won 38-35. Texas A&M gets revenge at home.

San Diego St @ Michigan - Michigan coach Brady Hoke coached SDST the last few years so he knows them well. Michigan's rush defense is poor. Two 3-0 teams, could be close but Michigan wins at home.

USC @ Arizona State - USC is probably not as good as their 3-0 record might suggest. ASU needs this one badly after losing last week at Illinois. ASU wins by 7.

Arkansas @ Alabama - Arkansas should have won last year at home. Nick Saban will have his troops ready for this one. Alabama continues on undefeated.
  26. BigB08822

West Virginia will have to beat LSU by passing the ball. This gets tougher and tougher as the game goes on because LSUs defense begins wearing everyone down. Of course, I am assuming LSUs defense is on top of their game. If LSU plays their type of game then I see them winning 21-14, or somewhere in there. The trick for WVU to win will be to strike early and score at least two touchdowns in the 1st quarter. IMO.
  27. rfisher

I promised all my co-workers I'd root for WVU if they rooted for AR. :shuffle:
  28. BigB08822

:lynch:

I am rooting for Arkansas! So you can switch to rooting for LSU.
  29. BigB08822

After another big win on the road, LSU moves to #1 in the AP poll. Hopefully the guys forget about the ranking and just continue to focus on each game. If we do our job then the entire season should come down to our game at Bama. They just need to not look ahead, focus first on the game we have next week.
  30. BigB08822

Jordan Jefferson has been allowed back on the team for LSU. Trust me, the LSU community is not thrilled about this. It isn't that we think he should be out, the entire "scandal" was ridiculous to begin with but I won't even get into all of that. It is just that Lee has done so well and Jefferson had one really good game last year in the bowl game. It took him all season to find his stride and many of LSUs wins came down to lots of luck! I don't like the idea of him strolling into a game mid season, especially when he hasn't been able to practice with the team for a while. I hope Lee still plays this weekend against Kentucky and that Jefferson is forced to prove he deserves the starting spot. Maybe this can work in our favor and Jefferson will be working his butt off to get in the game in time for Bama and we will have two great QBs to rely on. Jefferson can run the ball unlike Lee so he is certainly useful but Lee has really controlled the ball in the air this year, Jefferson will throw turnovers like mad when he is not having a good day, plus he gets confused easily. Miles can always use the strategy that he used to use which was to switch them out constantly. Let Lee throw the ball and let Jefferson hand it off or run it himself. The problem with that is you are showing WAY too much of your hand to the defense. With only Lee in the game, they don't know what to expect. When he subs in for Jefferson, they can say with 90% certainty that he will throw it.
  31. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch New Member

Time for week 5 picks. I was shocked to see LSU take over the #1 spot this week from Oklahoma. Didn't see anything wrong with it just surprised me. As BigB08822 has said its always good to see movement in the polls. Things should shift based on how the teams play every week. Personally I'd have kept OU #1 but....its very very close.

As for today's games:

Clemson @ Va Tech - Clemson goes on the road after 2 big home wins over Auburn and FSU. Time for Clemson to come back down to earth. Va Tech has lots of experience playing in games just like this. The Hokies win at home.

Nebraska @ Wisconsin -Nebraska gets a rude welcome to Big 10 play. The Badgers are definitely the best team in the conference right now. This could be a preview of the 1st Big 10 championship game but it also might not be. ;) Wisconsin steamrolls the Cornhuskers.

Alabama @ Florida - We know Alabama is a great team, the month of October will tell us if Florida is a fraud or not. Alabama has handled Florida easily in their last few meetings. The Tide rolls again tonight.

Texas A&M vs Arkansas (in Dallas) - very interesting match-up of 2 teams coming off of a loss. Arkansas won last year, A&M will win this year.

Michigan State @ Ohio State - OSU has beaten MSU 7 straight times but this is not your typical OSU team. MSU has a weak offensive line but MSU definitely has the better QB. Ohio State ain't gonna win more than 7 or 8 games this year. MSU by a sliver 17-16.

Northwestern @ Illinois - Remember last year's game in Wrigley Field. Oh the memories. Illinois is 4-0 but NW is prime for an upset especially if Persa plays ? Northwestern in an upset.
  32. rfisher

Humph. Lot of help you were. :drama: But, AR made a lot of mistakes last week. I think they were a little cocky coming off three easy wins. I had plans to go shopping today, but ESPN has picked up the AR-Aggie game so I guess I'll be home this afternoon instead.
  33. PDilemma

I won first place-- $50-- making picks last week in a local newspaper contest. :D

I think OSU takes MSU. Home field advantage.
  34. rfisher

WOO PIG SOOOOOOIEEEE!!!!!! I have a hole worn in the carpet from pacing.
  35. BigB08822

Just got home from the LSU game. Beautiful weather for a day game but my ears and the back of my neck feel burnt. LSU didn't play their best but the defense was insane. Kentucky couldn't score until their last drive and never got a 1st down in the first quarter. Jefferson played a few times but never threw the ball.
  36. Theatregirl1122

So... Minnesota is not so good at football, huh? 58-0 Michigan.
  37. PDilemma

They have a beautiful very new stadium for all of that losing. Saw U2 there in July and thought it was fantastic. Felt bad for them that they lose so much in it! :lol:
  38. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:eek: Wisky is pulverizing Nebraska. I knew that the Badgers were the best of the so-so Big 10 this year, but this game is revealing them to be miles above the rest of the conference.

:kickass: Congratulations on your undefeated season, and Big 10 championship, Wisconsin! :kickass:

Well, I guess they could [cough longshot cough] lose to Michigan in the B10 Championship game if Robinson is on fire. But no way do they lose a regular season game with the prowess they've shown today, and with that schedule. (The formerly imposing @ Ohio State match-up is suddenly looking like a laugher. I mean, :eek: OSU was 10 seconds from being shut out!)

:watch: I wonder how much carnage it will take above the Badgers to get the team to the BCS Championship game? An undefeated Wisky should hop :rolleyes: Boise, and others will have to play each other. So ... could be interesting.
  39. BigB08822

Florida had a shot but Bama ran away with this. Florida had plenty of chances in the 3rd quarter with the way they held Bama to no score in that quarter but then Florida couldn't do anything with their freshman QB in after the regular QB got hurt.

Bama is looking mighty good. I hope Bama and LSU go into their game undefeated because it is going to be a huge game. LSUs defense would hopefully will not allow Bama to roll over them like this so LSU will need to step it up on offense and score every chance they get. The good news for LSU is, barring injury, we should have use of both Jefferson (who can run the ball like crazy) and Lee (who, except for today, has been throwing really well).

Bama is so physical. They get an extra 5 yards every single run when they should have been stopped much further back. I wonder if this is a remark on Florida's defense or just the absolutely brute strength of the line of Bama? Maybe a combination of both? I know LSU is insanely physical so hopefully we can keep them from always pushing an extra few yards.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  40. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Yep, Brian, we were both onto something ... Big poll moves for Alabama and Wisconsin.
    Lots of football left to play, and big games down the pike could help or hurt any of the top teams ... but I'm in agreement with both moves. Oklahoma has just beaten a Florida State team that was hilariously :rofl: and :confused: dumbfoundingly ranked #5 coming off of a 7-6 season. Meanwhile, Bama is proving to be a bear of a team.