NBC wins Olys...again

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Visaliakid, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

Media Outlet has been selected. IOC to announce an agreement for the Olympic broadcast rights in the USA at 11 a.m. PT/ 2 p.m. ET

BREAKING: AP says that NBC/Comcast has won the Olympic Games for 2014, 2016, 2018 & 2020

ESPN Sports Center and U.S. Figure Skating both tweet same news.

2. Visaliakid

3. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

4. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Eys, let's give Tara a shot! :cheer2:

5. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Maybe the commentators should have coaches, like the skaters? Can you see Dick button as a commentator coach?

"Mention the free leg! Mention the free leg!!!"

6. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Meh. The Goon Platoon and its Advertisements Jamboree continue through 2020. I guess I'll have to continue to vacation in Canada during Olympics for the next 9 years to get halfway-decent TV coverage that has more sports than ads.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Only during 5 of them, really... ;)

8. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Yeah, that's all. Well, Megabus takes me cheaply to Toronto, where I can schlep at a friend's house and happily record gymnastics or figure skating as it happens...not having to wait for it to be spoon-fed by Bob Costas at late-night, in between cuts to other sports and many ads, hours after the event takes place...with the focus only on US gymnasts or skaters. :p

9. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Tara talks too much, imo.

10. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I'm surprised given how much they lost on the Vancouver games, but I really like how they've expanded online coverage and coverage on multiple cable channels.

Given the cost of the Olympics, any provider was going to have many more commercials than I'd like to see, so I don't think NBC is really worse in terms of commercials than other channels. Fox was promising to have all live coverage (as well as packaged replays for the evenings), but since I'm at work during the day and couldn't watch most of the coverage, it probably wouldn't have made much difference. And I hope this means more Olympic Ice!

11. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

On a side note, we're now just under a month away from the announcement of the site for the 2018 Winter Olympics. The vote is scheduled to take place in Durban, South Africa, on Wednesday, July 6th.

GamesBids.com still indicates PyeongChang, South Korea as the front runner, scoring 66.29 in their "BidIndex". Munich, Germany is a close second at 64.99, while Annecy, France is a somewhat distant third at 53.85.

12. Visaliakid

Just Tweeted by Philip Hersh: NBC says it will make every event available live on one platform or another.

Confirmed: "We will make every event, on one platform or another, live." - Mark Lazarus, NBC, on #NBCUniversal coverage of Oly Games

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  13. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

If that's true - wonderful!
    I'm one of those who doesn't mind setting the alarm, if needed, to watch,

14. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

South Korea is fine with me for 2018. I think it's time for them to come back to North America. Maybe 2022.

The news about NBC is interesting. With Dick Ebersol NBC leaving a month ago, there was a lot of speculation that FOX or ESPN might spend the money to get the Olympics. Also, given that NBC lost money (about 25%) on the Vancouver Games, some articles speculated that Comcast (NBC's owner) would be more conservative than GE (NBC's former owner). I wonder if the winning bid includes some sort of provision for future losses of revenue.

15. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

NBC's coverage of everything is so bad. They create stories and then run them into the ground with overplay. It's happened over and over. They should have live internet coverage with no commentary.

16. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

So go to work for the network and convince them to broadcast the events that way and find a way to pay for it. I know you have it in you to accomplish this.

17. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

i'm really hoping munich prevails. excuse for the term but frack (can't type the actual word here) new frontiers argument if that's all they have going for them. i'm really hoping sporting traditions prevail rather than something else.

18. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Not holding my breath. More Scott and Sandra. :blah:

If either one of them gets laryngitis, I'll do it. I'm cheaper! :p

19. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I liked Johnny, Peter, and Tara on Universal Sports. They just said what they liked and what they didn't like and why. When Universal Sports didn't have anyone to cover events they just showed them without commentary which was better than having some commentator who didn't know anything about skating (Andrea Joyce) chatter away about how cute and pretty the skaters were.

All I ask is that I get to hear the music!

20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

That would be nice! My husband likes Scott's commentating and on air skategasms, thinks it's entertaining. I dunno about that but am certainly annoyed by Sandra.

21. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

My problem with Sandra Bezic is that she has a financial interest in some of the skaters she is commenting on. Maybe not so much now, but in the past it wasn't unusual for her to have done the choreography for the skater(s) she was commenting on. I think at least a public disclaimer is in order when that happens.

22. RD

RD Well-Known Member

if it's any consolation (sigh), NBC does have new leadership now and may drive coverage of the Games in a different direction than the traditional approach we've seen.

23. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

:cheer2:

24. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Let start a petition for NBC to hire Terry Gannon :hat1:.

I wonder if Dick will be with the NBC team? It was really awkward having him as a 3rd wheel in the Hamilton-Bezic pairing.

25. SkateSkates

SkateSkates Member

Just no more Hamilton PLEASE! He would not shut up in Vancouver, and clearly played favorites. I agree with posters above in that they should hire Tara.

26. jcopper

jcopper New Member

GE still owns 49% of NBC. They're owners, just not majority owners.

27. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Tara & Terry -- I like it! :biggrinbo:biggrinbo:biggrinbo

28. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

On the other hand - they could easily make it worse.

29. RD

RD Well-Known Member

IF they stick to their promise of live coverage of every event- and deliver it without extensive hassle (i.e. must be comcast subscriber or some other crap), then they really have nowhere to go but up.

ETA: I would not be shocked if they chose to charge for live Olympic coverage (i.e. a subscription for a flat fee, like they had for Worlds coverage on Universal Sports). In fact, I practically EXPECT them to do so.

30. Visaliakid

Comcast is the majority owner and thus makes the final decisions for NBC Universal. Additionally, GE will be giving up more and more of it's minority stock in the next few years.