NBC Skating Commentators Announced: Return of Terry Gannon

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by HisWeirness, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

:rofl: Lurves it!!
    Glad to see Terry back. I remember when he started with skating. I wondered how a basketball announcer was going to work out. And we all know how that turned out. The man does his homework, learned about the sport, and became one of the best commentators skating has had. Also, his verbal elbows to Dick’s ribs were always amusing. :)
  2. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

That is surprising (and very pleasant) news. Did he jump networks entirely? Is he still working for ESPN?

I hope this morphs into something regular for him that would end up with him playing a role in the Olympic coverage.
    Next: Can they bring some of the great ABC camera crew on-board so that we get better shots of the whole skater, and not so many shots that fail to show the skates?
  3. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

As of a month ago Terry Gannon was still on ESPN. He did commentary for the WNBA playoffs.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Thrilled to pieces over Terry Gannon. I think that Mike will do a good job.
  5. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Love Scott as a human, but thrilled to get Terry back, even Tara will be a refreshing change from Sandra. I still miss Susie and Paul, guess they were only ESPN products, not NBC?
  6. WayCon

WayCon New Member

I know I'm late to this tread, but when I click on the opening url ( www.nbcumv.com ), I don't get anything. Is NBC going to show all the Grand Prix events for 2010? TV? HD? Online?

I update my own posting. This morning I found, on the Universalsports site, that between Universal and NBC there will be coverage of all the GP events.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  7. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Yay, new board!

8. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Tanith tweeted this:

:mad: that the channel still isn't available on Cox Cable here.
  9. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Yay, new board!

Glad to see that Tanith will be back commentating. I enjoyed her dance commentary at Worlds. :)
  10. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

Yay for Tanith doing commentary. :biggrinbo
  11. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Happy to hear about Terry. He and Verne Lundquist are the only two announcers that have had any respect for skating and skaters - and it shows.

I think we are in a transition period as far as commentators goes. Dick will be 81 years-old this year. His age and his brain injury are finally starting to have their affect. I think he is happy to be a "guest star" on broadcasts at this point. It is truly the twilight of an era as I firmly believe that most of what US residents know about about figure skating, they learned from Dick Button.

I would love to hear from Paul Wylie, but I understand he is the head of Nationals organizing committee this year. I'm guessing we won't hear much from him this year. I reserve my opinion of Micheal Weiss. We'll see how much actual knowledge he can convey in a succinct manner and how often he repeats himself.

I have yet to hear or see a commentator on ladies skating that I actually support. I haven't truly enjoyed any of them - including Peggy and Tara. I don't hate Sandra, given the comparison to the others.

I find it fascinating that dance as produced the best commentators. I like Susie and Tracy. I think Tanith will be fine as well.

It will be interesting to see who ends up being the commentator of the future. Having heard the judging audio from Nationals last year, I would just love to have an actual judge or technical caller as a commentator. I'm all for details and real information.
    pollyanna and (deleted member) like this.
  12. museksk8r

museksk8r Well-Known Member

ITA with this. I also think it would help skating earn some much needed respect. For so long, we've heard commentators either speak flowery, poetic fluff that ultimately is meaningless or make obnoxious noises and squeals that distract from the viewing experience while ignoring technical details and intricacies of the actual skating and programs. No wonder public misperception exists about the difficulty of skating because the commentating often fails to discuss and analyze just how difficult it really is. The only way for viewers to discover how a skater earns a level 4 on an element is to search online for skating fan forums or for the ISU rule book because US broadcasts don't explain such things. All we hear about is how unfair it is that the US ladies get downgraded for UR jumps and how no one in the world works harder than Evan Lysacek. :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  13. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Yay for Terry! I liked Tara's commentary last season. I also like Tracy. I'm meh on Weiss and I sometimes want to tell Scott to just shut up. I'd definitely prefer Paul Wylie's informative commentary. But, overall, this isn't a bad lineup.
  14. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Whither Peggy and Dick?
  15. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Just be thankful that neither John Tesh nor Pat O'Brian is commentating anymore. Each one was a chatterbox X 2; Non-stop talking over the skating :rolleyes:.
  16. RD

RD Well-Known Member

we're still using 6.0 commentators in a Cop world.
  17. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Nice analogy. I think of it as underestimating the audience. Football and baseball, especially, break down plays and use statistics to the enth degree these days. They try to keep the audience interested by adding more and more information. With skating, it seems like the broadcasters assume that the audience is too dumb or not interested enough to understand the scoring system. I'm tired of that attitude.
  18. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

Don't forget Al Traut-twit, whom we still have to put up with in gymnastics :rolleyes:

Verne and Terry are the best and Moran from ABC in the early '90s was okay, too. Otherwise it's :rolleyes: or :scream:

-Bridget :)
  19. Dilng

Dilng Well-Known Member

:cheer::cheer::cheer: YIPPEE!! I'm so happy that Tara is doing commentary. Thank God I've been hoping that Tara would be a commentator for a long time now. She is very good so much better then extremely annoying Peggy and Sandra!!! Now if they just get rid of squeaky, unbelievably annoying Scott and have Tara commentate everything on NBC I will be thrilled!!:)
  20. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Okay, the commercial NBC is using to advertise figure skating is so weird. "Any competition could be the last". Are we supposed to believe that someone is going to drop dead in the middle?
  21. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Commercial? Is NBC actually PROMOTING this coverage??
  22. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Pleased not to have to hear constipated Scott. and his never ending comments on the “new”scoring system.
  23. Theatregirl1122

It's during the coverage of Gymnastics worlds. I assume they figure the audience is the same. They even show the same amount of sad animal commercials.
  24. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Ok, I see. Yes, that makes sense then.

OT, but I didn't even realize I hit 2K posts. ha :p
  25. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I think it would be a great idea to televise a 30 minute snippet on how the scoring system works during a major competition, maybe worlds. They could explain the concept of the base value, GOE, underrotations and downgrades, etc. They really do not need to go into higher level details...the general public doesn't need to know that holding a spin for eight revolutions increases the level or that one has to do so many different types of turns in the footwork. They just need to understand the basic foundations of the IJS to engage interest and avoid what might be seen as a "shocking" or "unfair" result because of lack of knowledge of the system. I also think it would be useful to put each skater's protocol information on the screen after their scores come up. Then the audience would be able to see exactly what happened.
  26. RD

RD Well-Known Member

30 MINUTES?? Who would sit through that, besides hardcore skate fans? The network needs to come up with a way to explain the BASIC nuances of the Cop (save the details for the broadcast) to the lay public. This probably shouldn't take more than about 5-7 minutes, otherwise people will tune out. Attention spans are short in these parts...

ETA: I think getting someone like Tara Lipinski in the booth is a step in the right direction, though. I feel with some practice on her part, the audience can learn the system WITH her as they watch the skaters. And that is the best case scenario.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  27. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

Can we pleeeeeease ditch Carruthers?? His idea of a good time is to compare a 19-yr-old rookie to 4-time World Champ Kurt Browning and point out that the kid isn't like him. Well, duh! It was so rude. If Peter wanted to mention Kurt, a better way would've been: Miner is skating to Casablanca, music that was an iconic program for Browning and figure skating in general. And if Andrea then said: Do you think Miner's watched Kurt's program? Answer: Yes! Everyone in skating has seen that magnificent program! But, PC did it in a rude way, imo.

-Bridget
  28. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Perhaps you're right. I think 10 minutes sounds reasonable...they could easily do it before the event starts instead of their usual fluff pieces. Clear, concise, and informative.
  29. Theatregirl1122

But I still want to know WTF NBC thinks might happen during the competition that would result in it being "the last".
  30. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

:lol: It's rather odd for them to say that. Maybe meaning that they might not qualify for the final? Or, perhaps, the sport is so dangerous they might critically injure themselves and be forced into retirement? I have no clue.
  31. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Thank goodness Sandra Bezic is not on the team. Somehow Scott & Sandra make each other even worse. Tracy Wilson should temper Scott somewhat.
  32. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

Glad to see Terry Gannon back! A breath of fresh air...he's articulate, does his homework and does not chatter over the skaters programs. Weiss...hmmmmmm, will have to wait and see on that one. How well does he know COP? Tara....still needs some work, but getting better.
  33. neptune

neptune New Member

Exactly. As they say, "Too many kooks spoil the broadcast." ;)
  34. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Weiss Tweeted this earlier today:

;)
  35. neptune

neptune New Member

Mike must be a quick learner. Even after several years, many commentators never come to that realization. ;)
  36. Allskate

He may know the theory, but he hasn't learned how to put it into practice. I've already had enough of him to last me the entire season. He talks too much. I don't need to hear him talk about his great triumph over his stitches or his marriage. And we heard him yammer incessantly about the quad when he kept trying to land it himself. He seems determined to continue in that vein during commentary. During the short program, he didn't talk about any of the other rules or even any of the other rule changes. I never thought I'd say this, but I'd prefer to have Scott commentate. Can't they bring back Paul Wylie?
  37. neptune

neptune New Member

Michael Weiss was mainlining during the commentary??? :eek: That would be a first. ;)

Did he decide to leave on his own?
  38. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

I hope Tara becomes the new face of skating commentary. She's simply a natural IMO.

I just listened to her commentary of Alissa Czisny's SP at Skate Canada, and it was informative and wonderfully articulate.

She gave an objective (but kind) analysis of the skaters' strengths and weaknesses, as well as technical insight when necessary regarding spins/jumps/etc., not to mention relative background tidbits on the skater to familiarize them to the audience watching at home--all the while without being an intrusive distraction on the performance.

I must say, however, it was quite a trip hearing Terry and Tara in the booth together. I can't believe the little girl he used to commentate on back in the late 90s is now sitting with him doing the same thing. Time just flies.
    Angela-Fan and (deleted member) like this.
  39. Allskate

I don't know.

I thought Tara was informative, but talked a little too much and too fast. Maybe it was because she was so excited about the skating. I remember her being better last season. so hopefully she'll be even better as the season goes on. And, yeah, Terry must have thought it was weird that this girl he used to comment on is now all grown up and in the booth with him. :lol:
  40. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I've really liked Tanith as a commentator this time around.

She has some interesting things to say and was very informative.