NBC Skating Commentators Announced: Return of Terry Gannon

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by HisWeirness, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

I don't remember where it was, but I seem to recall Katarina Witt doing a fair job at commentary.

2. yossalu

yossalu Member

I'd prefer Paul Wylie to Michael Weiss, but I do think Weiss has really grown and improved as an analyst. But having Terry back and at least temporarily getting rid of Sandra (crossing my fingers it is a permanent move, though I doubt the skate gods would be so kind to me) is just music to my ears.

3. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Terry!!! :cheer2:

I wonder if the dude knows how much we skatin' freaks love him. :lol:

I just love that unlike some commentators (I'm looking at YOU, Tom Hammond), Terry actually looked/sounded like he (1) did his prep work, (2) attempted correct name pronounciation, and (3) basically acted like he gave a genuine crap. :D

4. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Great News #1: TERRY and TARA

Great News #2: No Sandra Bezik!

but...Where's Johnny???? Johnny was the best freakin' part of the commentating team for Worlds 2011. I like Micheal Weiss but Johnny was spectacular.

5. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Well, Johnny only did the loft segment at Worlds, and not the play-by-play commentary, right? I'm assuming there won't be a loft for the GP series, but maybe Nationals?

6. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

You win some :) and you lose some :(

Thrilled Terry is back

Not thrilled that Tara is back. She didn't impress me at all too much "it's all about me" IMHO.

And to defend Tom Hammond... I once sat next to him on a flight. He did do prep work. It just wasn't his strong sport, but he worked on being prepared. I didn't really like him, but it's more the "style" of his voice that got to me...

7. birdgal

birdgal New Member

For some reason, I think Weiss will be okay. Great to have Gannon back.

8. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Maybe U.S. fans attending the GP events can make banners declaring luv for Gannon? :)

Terry and Dick ...and Peggy too ... made a great team. I felt bad for Dick when he commented with Sandra and Scott for NBC; He seemed like a 3rd wheel among them.

9. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Kurt was like that also. It was all about "me, me, me". "When I was competing ...." I haven't seen him commentating that much so I'm not sure if he has improved.

10. RD

RD Well-Known Member

IIRC she was used as a sideline reporter at Nationals on ABC a few years back. I didn't really think it was her strong suit- she didn't look very comfortable and I can't really blame her to be honest (with English not being her first language, etc.)...Not too sure why ABC had her in the first place...I think Lisa Gurerro(sp?) was the interviewer. Maybe they wanted to throw in some eye candy for us guys? *shrugs* oh well, I think the fewer reporters that are present, the smoother the broadcast flows.

11. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

:rofl: Lurves it!!
    Glad to see Terry back. I remember when he started with skating. I wondered how a basketball announcer was going to work out. And we all know how that turned out. The man does his homework, learned about the sport, and became one of the best commentators skating has had. Also, his verbal elbows to Dick’s ribs were always amusing. :)

12. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

That is surprising (and very pleasant) news. Did he jump networks entirely? Is he still working for ESPN?

I hope this morphs into something regular for him that would end up with him playing a role in the Olympic coverage.
    Next: Can they bring some of the great ABC camera crew on-board so that we get better shots of the whole skater, and not so many shots that fail to show the skates?

13. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

As of a month ago Terry Gannon was still on ESPN. He did commentary for the WNBA playoffs.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  14. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Thrilled to pieces over Terry Gannon. I think that Mike will do a good job.

15. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Love Scott as a human, but thrilled to get Terry back, even Tara will be a refreshing change from Sandra. I still miss Susie and Paul, guess they were only ESPN products, not NBC?

16. WayCon

WayCon New Member

I know I'm late to this tread, but when I click on the opening url ( www.nbcumv.com ), I don't get anything. Is NBC going to show all the Grand Prix events for 2010? TV? HD? Online?

I update my own posting. This morning I found, on the Universalsports site, that between Universal and NBC there will be coverage of all the GP events.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  17. HisWeirness

HisWeirness FREE LYUBOV

18. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Tanith tweeted this:

:mad: that the channel still isn't available on Cox Cable here.

19. HisWeirness

HisWeirness FREE LYUBOV

Glad to see that Tanith will be back commentating. I enjoyed her dance commentary at Worlds. :)

20. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

Yay for Tanith doing commentary. :biggrinbo

21. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Happy to hear about Terry. He and Verne Lundquist are the only two announcers that have had any respect for skating and skaters - and it shows.

I think we are in a transition period as far as commentators goes. Dick will be 81 years-old this year. His age and his brain injury are finally starting to have their affect. I think he is happy to be a "guest star" on broadcasts at this point. It is truly the twilight of an era as I firmly believe that most of what US residents know about about figure skating, they learned from Dick Button.

I would love to hear from Paul Wylie, but I understand he is the head of Nationals organizing committee this year. I'm guessing we won't hear much from him this year. I reserve my opinion of Micheal Weiss. We'll see how much actual knowledge he can convey in a succinct manner and how often he repeats himself.

I have yet to hear or see a commentator on ladies skating that I actually support. I haven't truly enjoyed any of them - including Peggy and Tara. I don't hate Sandra, given the comparison to the others.

I find it fascinating that dance as produced the best commentators. I like Susie and Tracy. I think Tanith will be fine as well.

It will be interesting to see who ends up being the commentator of the future. Having heard the judging audio from Nationals last year, I would just love to have an actual judge or technical caller as a commentator. I'm all for details and real information.

pollyanna and (deleted member) like this.
  22. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

ITA with this. I also think it would help skating earn some much needed respect. For so long, we've heard commentators either speak flowery, poetic fluff that ultimately is meaningless or make obnoxious noises and squeals that distract from the viewing experience while ignoring technical details and intricacies of the actual skating and programs. No wonder public misperception exists about the difficulty of skating because the commentating often fails to discuss and analyze just how difficult it really is. The only way for viewers to discover how a skater earns a level 4 on an element is to search online for skating fan forums or for the ISU rule book because US broadcasts don't explain such things. All we hear about is how unfair it is that the US ladies get downgraded for UR jumps and how no one in the world works harder than Evan Lysacek. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  23. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Yay for Terry! I liked Tara's commentary last season. I also like Tracy. I'm meh on Weiss and I sometimes want to tell Scott to just shut up. I'd definitely prefer Paul Wylie's informative commentary. But, overall, this isn't a bad lineup.

24. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Whither Peggy and Dick?

25. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Just be thankful that neither John Tesh nor Pat O'Brian is commentating anymore. Each one was a chatterbox X 2; Non-stop talking over the skating :rolleyes:.

26. RD

RD Well-Known Member

we're still using 6.0 commentators in a Cop world.

27. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Nice analogy. I think of it as underestimating the audience. Football and baseball, especially, break down plays and use statistics to the enth degree these days. They try to keep the audience interested by adding more and more information. With skating, it seems like the broadcasters assume that the audience is too dumb or not interested enough to understand the scoring system. I'm tired of that attitude.

28. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

Don't forget Al Traut-twit, whom we still have to put up with in gymnastics :rolleyes:

Verne and Terry are the best and Moran from ABC in the early '90s was okay, too. Otherwise it's :rolleyes: or :scream:

-Bridget :)

29. Dilng

Dilng Well-Known Member

:cheer::cheer::cheer: YIPPEE!! I'm so happy that Tara is doing commentary. Thank God I've been hoping that Tara would be a commentator for a long time now. She is very good so much better then extremely annoying Peggy and Sandra!!! Now if they just get rid of squeaky, unbelievably annoying Scott and have Tara commentate everything on NBC I will be thrilled!!:)

30. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Okay, the commercial NBC is using to advertise figure skating is so weird. "Any competition could be the last". Are we supposed to believe that someone is going to drop dead in the middle?