NBC skating commentary

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Civic, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Civic

Civic New Member

I didn't realize Tara Lipinski and Michael Weiss were doing figure skating commentary for NBC until I watched the Cup of Russia broadcast this afternoon. I was pleasantly surprised at how good they both were. While Tara is inclined to chatter on a bit, she at least offers good analysis of why a particular jump, etc. didn't work. Weiss is good at explaining what the judges are looking for in jump landings, transition moves and spins. Terry Gannon is a longtime fave of mine so it was good to see him in the commentary booth as well.

2. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

Now who do we call to tell NBC to use them at the big events instead of Bezic and Hamilton?

3. Dilng

Dilng Well-Known Member

I have sent NBC e-mails in the past and I will do it again as Tara and Michael are so much better then Sandra and Scott!!!!!

4. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Do you just go to www.nbc.com and look for a 'contact' to send an email?

5. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

I think I am going to have to send emails too. Title. "anyone but Tara". Giggling is not a form of commentary I find appealing. Tara is no longer a cute 14 year old, but she is still trying to play the part :rolleyes:

6. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Although Lipinski commentary IMO has dropped somewhat in quality since she started, she's still much better than the status quo, I feel...

7. Vash01

She tells a lot about the skating; she is not just giggling (unless you consider any form of laughter a giggle) I see no resemblance between the 14 year old and the lady that is commentating. She is a lot better than some other commentators we have been listening to.

8. Oldsk8ter

Oldsk8ter Active Member

I agree. Her commentary can be quite interesting, but the giggling makes her tough to listen to.

9. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

My only problem with her is that she tends to be a little negative. Terry Gannon even kidded her about it at Grand Prix Paris. But, I still like her better than Sandra. She's knowledgeable and passes that knowlege on in a way that viewers can understand.

10. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Tara is a lot better than -- who was the person with the truly-infantile voice last year...Jenny Kirk? Actually, Tara is one of the best commentators on Ladies Singles in a long time.

11. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Given a choice between reasonably inciteful commentary an occasional girlish giggle and Scott Hamilton shrieking like a madman when someone does something well, my vote goes to TARA! TARA! TARA!

12. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Totally. Every time I have to listen to Scott and his sidekick Sandra, I mutter to myself, "I'll go back to Tara."

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

THIS. Anything's better than Scott Hamilton straining like he's on the toilet!

14. Vash01

I am being nitpicky here, but I think you meant 'insightful'.:)

15. skfan

skfan Member

i wish NBC would offer the option of not hearing any commentary at all.

16. Vash01

All networks should give viewers that option (commentary or no commentary) although technically I don't know how it could be done without losing the music (if no commentary option is selected). Occasionally a commentator helps me see something that I did not, so there is some value to it, but that is rare.

17. skfan

skfan Member

they can point it out during the time the skater is saying hi to everybody at home and waving a cute stuffed animal that she/he/they picked up after taking their bows. or during the slow-motions.

commentary ruins the re-watch value of the performances for me. some commentators ruin it the first time i hear them as well :D YMMV. i don't really care so much for the education when there's still debate on whether the educator is biased (who can argue blumberg's qualified to comment on ice dance? but nevertheless, some feel she is biased in favor of D/W... i have no horse in this race, btw... just sayin' the value of this 'education' is debatable).

18. mtnskater

mtnskater Well-Known Member

Man, what harsh critics we have on the Boards :lol: :blah:

I think Tara and Michael Weiss are very very good. Keepers! I always thought Tara was very articulate even at 14. Terry Gannon seems to bring out the giggle factor in her....she didn't do that with Andrea Joyce so much. Different chemistry.

I also like Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic as commentators so boo to the haterzzz :D

My favorite though, who will never be replaced, is DICK BUTTON. He really spoke his mind which I like alot (not so much sugar coating) and was a real stickler for line, position, stretch and great layback positions. He was a real character in the booth. Kept the U.S. skaters on their toes in that regard. Skating isn't the same without him.

I also liked the combo of Verne Lundquist and Scott Hamilton when there was so much pro skating in the 90's.

Mainly I just don't want any commentator to talk too much during the skaters programs. A little goes a long way.

19. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

The problem is that the majority of people who watch skating on TV have no idea what they're looking at and their only way to learn is to listen to commentary while watching.

If they watch often enough for long enough and pay attention, they turn into us and don't want to hear it any more. :)

It also helps to take lessons, attend competitions, and/or discuss on message boards. I wish TV broadcasts would give some clue to home viewers that what fits on TV is only the tip of the iceberg and suggestions on how to experience more if interested.

It will be nice when technology someday makes it easy to choose a commentary track or a music-only audio track. And maybe a choice between detailed technical commentary or human-interest commentary.

20. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Check out Ice Network. All the skaters, no commentary! Fabulous.

21. Vash01

You are easy to please!:lol:

I liked Dick's emphasis on postures, toe pointing, etc.

Verne used to talk too much (he commentated on the eligible circuit too) when he was commentating with Scott, but when Tom Hammond was paired with Scott & Sandra, that was just too awful.

I really liked Verne's piece on Sergei Grinkov though, when Sergei died so suddenly.

22. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

:lol:
    Umm.. Tara "insightful" :lol: Maybe the OP was being "truthful" Tara I think does say some stuff just to "stir' things up. She can "feel the tension" in the arena for example... AMAZING since she's sitting in a studio in the US LOL! They aren't anywhere CLOSE to the arena for these GP events.....

I vote for Scott and Sandra over Tara!!!! Michael is fine, can take or leave him.

23. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

I like Tara's commentary. I don't think she sounds 14 at all. I just checked her wiki and she is going to be 30 her next b-day OMG.

24. operagirl

operagirl Active Member

I'll always miss Dick and Peggy. They elevated skating. The rest do not.

25. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

You mean like using the SAP channel to provide a different soundtrack for the broadcast? :lol:

The technology exists. It's getting the networks to feel it's worth the bother that's the issue.

26. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

This is not always true. They go back and forth, sometimes making us listen to the horror that is Tonia Kwiatkowski.

27. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Active Member

I think the only time I heard Tonia K was Skate America. Sometimes I get frustrated because I have trouble IDing jumps. It is nice to hear the music and not listen to someone tell me stuff like "he fell".....golly I can see that.

28. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I remember Brian B doing some commentating and I really like Brian's commentating. I'm not a fan of Weiss' comments sometimes. I like Tara's commenting.

I'm tired of Scott and Sandra. They are both old fashioned to me and both are stuck in the 6.0 system of judging.

I've always loved Terry Gannon and Suzie Wynne

29. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

My absolutely favorite combination.

30. Vash01

They were not good even when they were commentating in the 6.0 system. They are just a pair of bad commentators.

I liked Boitano's commentating because he was very sympathetic toward the skaters. Some may find it too sweet (like Peggy, may be) but I liked his approach because he never slammed a skater while pointing out what was not done correctly. Sometimes Dick Button came across as too personal in his likes and dislikes of the skater/skating. I rather liked Suzie Wynn and I liked the much hated Peter Carruthers when he commentated on pairs (majority of the time), except when he was incorrect in pointing out stuff about past competitions.

I never cared for Tonia Kwiatkowski or Roslyn Sumner's commentating. It's tough to find a really good commentator. I need to listen to Tara and Weiss more before I form a real opinion about them as commentators.

About the non-skater commentators, Terry Ganon always got on my nerves because of his chatter about off the ice stuff while the skating was in progress. Verne Lundquist too, but Tom Hammond was probably the worst.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011