NBC broadcast of NHK Trophy 10/31, 4-6 pm Eastern

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by Sylvia, Oct 31, 2010.

1. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

commercial for "shall we dance" next sunday at 4, does that mean they wont show the ladies from Skare Canada?

2. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

It's on Saturday instead of Sunday.

3. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Jeremy moves beautifully. A good program that needs a bit more pizazz and a costume rethink.

4. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

I am actually enjoying Weiss' commentary.

5. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

YAY for Jeremy's program. He must have watched that movie a lot. Gets a lot of Roberto Benigni's movements down nicely. (Although I had to laugh at how Michael Weiss called the singling the 3a a "minor mistake." Not the most astute commentary.)

6. bouncingpom

bouncingpom New Member

Just had to pop over here to say how much I like M Weiss as an announcer. And LOVE that Terry Gannon is back.
    Also excited that I stumbled on to the fact this is on tv in the first place!

7. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

I am too.

8. rfisher

His vest is glittery. :lol:

I just cannot see Jeremy wearing something like Weir or Dai would wear. It's just not him.

9. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I like him and his program a lot. But looking at Dai (and other usual suspects), I don't want him to get "lost" at Worlds.

10. my little pony

Dai is just everything, all at the same time. He transcends the technique and elements. I feel all flushed and fangirly, like I should end my posts with a bunch of hearts.

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  11. rfisher

I don't want him to either, but what would you suggest he wear given the piece of music he's skating to?

Somehow lots of bling or spandex doesn't seem appropriate.

12. my little pony

everytime this commercial airs, like Pavlov's dog I write a check

13. nashvilledancer

nashvilledancer New Member

I think this costume is perfect for Jeremy. It has a lot of texture and a tiny bit of sparkle, and it fits the program perfectly. It's a subtle kind of theatricality, which is unusual in skating. This is becoming one of my favorite of his programs (along with 8 Seasons and Day in the Life). It certainly is his most expressive and nuanced, a real step up in versatility. The thing that blows my mind is that Jeremy was skating in last season's boots and yet the first half of his program was technically perfect.

14. soxxy

soxxy Guest

LOL, spandex. A little color? Actually, I've never seen the movie, is dictating the costume?

15. rfisher

So, how do you think he and Chan will compare at the GPF? :saint: Which, fortunately, is on neutral ground in China.

16. my little pony

some people just can't carry off anything blingy and imo Jeremy is one of them

I think the costume matches his skating style, I wouldnt change anything

17. cem

cem New Member

Dai is the best. I've always wondered if the training time lost in the 2008-2009 season seriously affect his Olympic result.

18. nashvilledancer

Watching Daisuke's program here, I really am impressed. I didn't like it much on first viewing, compared to last years' programs. What a season--all my favorite arteest skaters are going to be at the top of their game!

19. my little pony

Chan has amazing technique but IMO there is a disconnect betw him and the program/music. They are just moves that Lori gave him. Dai interprets his music on a completely different level than Chan. And sadly, I dont see Patrick growing with Lori and jump harness girl as his coaches.

20. my little pony

what do you mean? he won the gold medal in vancouver.

21. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Evan will be disappointed to learn that. ;) I think you're remembering Worlds.

I liked the men's competition much better at NHK than at Skate Canada. I thought all three medalists were great for the beginning of the season. But, then again, I usually enjoy all three of them.

Happy to have Terry back, but I wish they'd limit Weiss to the men and leave it as just Tara and Terry for the women like they have it Terry and Mike for the men. The three of them together didn't work as well for me as just Terry and Tara did in the other broadcasts.

22. nashvilledancer

Dai is a much more mature skater than Patrick. His expression is much more varied. Patrick has amazing skating skills. They both are outstanding in attack and commitment to movement. I would hope Dai beats Patrick, if only to encourage Patrick to keep improving on the parts of his skating that are still a bit lacking. However, my dearest wish is that Jeremy pulls out all the stops, the stars align, and he beats them both!

23. my little pony

nope, I know what I saw in Vancouver and Dai is the winner

24. nashvilledancer

Yes, agree with this completely.

25. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

:cheer2:

26. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

:lol: I'm good with that.

ITA. IMO, Dai and Jeremy are musical, but in different ways. I think they're both wonderful (and I love Patrick's skating skills), but I would love to see Jeremy pull it all together when it counts the most.

27. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118799/

Life is Beautiful starred Roberto Benigni. Set in the 1940s in Italy. The first part of the movie covers the courtship of him and his future wife; second part of the movie sees them and their son to a Nazi work camp. The Benigni character is sweetly funny and imaginative and comes up with all kinds of games to help his son survive the work camp and his wife to endure it.

28. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Thanks for the recap, I don't know why I've never rented "Life is Beautiful." Don't get me wrong, I love Jeremy and his skating, and I'm sure by Nationals his jumps will be together and he'll probably open with a quad. I just think the program needs a bit more flair, overall. Like I said earlier, I'd hate to see it overlooked in, say, the final flight at Worlds. Given the description of the movie above, there might be room for a few "lighter" moments, nothing heavy or out-of-character.

JMO, I'm hardly suggesting Jeremy try to be Dai, or, heaven forbid, Amodio.

29. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

I think Dai was the happiest person on the podium with Evan was a close second. :)

That said, I am loving the season so far. I could watch Chan stroke for hours - no jumps - just stroke. He's beautiful. Jeremy's programs draw me in and keep me there. Then there's Dai. I do so look forward to what he comes up with each season. It was so good to see that secure quad back.

30. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Weighing in a little late, but I want to put Rachael on Dancing with the Stars until she learns to express emotion -- not just the "I have to have an emotion now! Okay, now I can turn it off. Okay, now I have to turn it back on" thing she's got going on.