NBC broadcast of NHK Trophy 10/31, 4-6 pm Eastern

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by Sylvia, Oct 31, 2010.

1. nashvilledancer

nashvilledancer New Member

Love the attitude positions in Carolina's sprials. So, she's injured. That explains a lot. Her skating is very refined. Glad she did as well as she did here. Agree she's had better costumes, this was meh.
  2. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i guess caro won by default, murakami screwed the pooch and rachel had downgrades
  3. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

I think she getting better with her positions, but what I really appreciate is the speed and depth of edges she achieves on the spirals.
  4. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Despite the program being a complete implosion, I really enjoyed Murakami's skating. Very energetic, and lots of speed. I've never seen her before.

But man that's a lot of sparkle on her costume!
  5. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Definitely, and the clean line and extension of her free leg are beautiful. So tired of seeing spirals in which the skater puts all her energy into getting the free leg as high as possible (no matter how and ugly it looks.)
  6. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

So glad they didn't show more of Mao than they did. :( Here's hoping this is just a temporary setback.

OMG, Caroline Zhang, the puberty monster didn't just arrive, it ran her over. I realize she certainly isn't fat in any manner, but she looked horribly bottom heavy in that dress and her facial expression just said "I don't want to be here." I really wonder if she even wants to do this anymore. :(

Ashley: What a hot mess. Even this early in the season, there's no excuse for that many two-foots. She has a LOT of work to do.

Murakami: Lots of promise there - amazing speed. But I swear, did her designer accidentally sew two different dresses together by mistake. :lol:

Caro K: Actually this is one of the rare times I've actually enjoyed her skating. Instead of barreling all over the ice like a gangly pony, her injury forced her to slow it down a little.

Rachael: I like this program, it shows promise and her expression has certainly improved. Love the hair, and I actually thought the dress was nice. Interestingly for all those who think she has a "heavy" look to her, she's a sylph compared to Zhang now.

Watching Davis and White now, like it, don't love it at this point - seems a little labored. Do love her dress. Maybe a little color in Charlie's "mafioso" suit??? :p
  7. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Oh my. I thought my laptop had good resolution, but the it doesn't do justice to color.
  8. rfisher

Will Michael talk about his quad? :saint:
  9. nashvilledancer

I adore Meryl & Charlie's tango. They transcend the fact that every other person in all 4 disciplines is doing tango this year. I especially like the fact that the last half of the dance is almost all in closed position. It's a real dance. And those spins--incredible!
  10. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

This kid is impressive, definitely a juniorish quality to his skating, but the jumps are great.

eta his costume is awful
  11. nashvilledancer

Yeah, Hanyu showed a lot of moxie and control for a 15-year-old. And what jumps! And not just the jumps, his basic skating between the jumps looked good too. He will be fun to watch (hopefully) develop his artistry and maturity.
  12. my little pony

I love Florent's exhibition
    Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  13. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I'd like Amodio's program more if he didn't come to a full stop so often.
  14. rfisher

And there's the hug and kiss in the KnC. Morozov manages to get his hands on his skaters no matter what.
  15. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Ok, sue me. I'll admit I enjoyed Amodio. And yes, I'm shocked myself.

Doesn't hurt that I just saw Kristoffer's version of MJ at SC. :eek:
  16. my little pony

commercial for 12/11 show in Atlantic City starring Kristi, Paul, Sasha, I forget who else
  17. my little pony

clearly, Chris Hanson doesnt watch skating
  18. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

Poor Shawn. Love him to death but now that we have seen what the other guys are doing (at Skate Canada) I fear his competitive days are numbered. Glad NBC chose to show him despite his final placement.
  19. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

Watching Shawn on one TV and Czisny at Skate Canada on the other - hmm not sure who is more bendy
  20. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

I am too. I enjoyed his program.

God help me, I also enjoyed Amodio's much more than I thought I would considering the comments I've been reading. But I prefer the Amodio of last year. :p
  21. my little pony

commercial for "shall we dance" next sunday at 4, does that mean they wont show the ladies from Skare Canada?
  22. rfisher

It's on Saturday instead of Sunday.
  23. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Jeremy moves beautifully. A good program that needs a bit more pizazz and a costume rethink.
  24. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

I am actually enjoying Weiss' commentary.
  25. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

YAY for Jeremy's program. He must have watched that movie a lot. Gets a lot of Roberto Benigni's movements down nicely. (Although I had to laugh at how Michael Weiss called the singling the 3a a "minor mistake." Not the most astute commentary.)
  26. bouncingpom

bouncingpom New Member

Just had to pop over here to say how much I like M Weiss as an announcer. And LOVE that Terry Gannon is back.
    Also excited that I stumbled on to the fact this is on tv in the first place!
  27. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

I am too.
  28. rfisher

His vest is glittery. :lol:

I just cannot see Jeremy wearing something like Weir or Dai would wear. It's just not him.
  29. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I like him and his program a lot. But looking at Dai (and other usual suspects), I don't want him to get "lost" at Worlds.
  30. my little pony

Dai is just everything, all at the same time. He transcends the technique and elements. I feel all flushed and fangirly, like I should end my posts with a bunch of hearts.
    LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  31. rfisher

I don't want him to either, but what would you suggest he wear given the piece of music he's skating to?

Somehow lots of bling or spandex doesn't seem appropriate.
  32. my little pony

everytime this commercial airs, like Pavlov's dog I write a check
  33. nashvilledancer

I think this costume is perfect for Jeremy. It has a lot of texture and a tiny bit of sparkle, and it fits the program perfectly. It's a subtle kind of theatricality, which is unusual in skating. This is becoming one of my favorite of his programs (along with 8 Seasons and Day in the Life). It certainly is his most expressive and nuanced, a real step up in versatility. The thing that blows my mind is that Jeremy was skating in last season's boots and yet the first half of his program was technically perfect.
  34. soxxy

soxxy Guest

LOL, spandex. A little color? Actually, I've never seen the movie, is dictating the costume?
  35. rfisher

So, how do you think he and Chan will compare at the GPF? :saint: Which, fortunately, is on neutral ground in China.
  36. my little pony

some people just can't carry off anything blingy and imo Jeremy is one of them

I think the costume matches his skating style, I wouldnt change anything
  37. cem

cem New Member

Dai is the best. I've always wondered if the training time lost in the 2008-2009 season seriously affect his Olympic result.
  38. nashvilledancer

Watching Daisuke's program here, I really am impressed. I didn't like it much on first viewing, compared to last years' programs. What a season--all my favorite arteest skaters are going to be at the top of their game!
  39. my little pony

Chan has amazing technique but IMO there is a disconnect betw him and the program/music. They are just moves that Lori gave him. Dai interprets his music on a completely different level than Chan. And sadly, I dont see Patrick growing with Lori and jump harness girl as his coaches.
  40. my little pony

what do you mean? he won the gold medal in vancouver.