Navarro and Bommentre Announce Retirement from Competitive Figure Skating

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Debbie S, May 11, 2010.

1. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=44603&type=media

I knew it was coming, but I'm still :(.

I guess it's too much to hope they'll get a guest spot on SOI at some point?

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Aw, I guess it is time, but its sad. I love their programs and their elegance so much.

3. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

That's so sad. I really enjoy this team!

:drama:

I wish them all the best!

:cheer2:

4. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

Aw, loved their skating. Wish them the best in their future endeavors.

5. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

So sad they didn't make the Oly team. Best of luck to them!!

Really and (deleted member) like this.
  6. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

:wuzrobbed: I'll really miss watching their skating!

7. Rhianna

Rhianna ...Her?

I'm really upset to hear this and I wish them all the best in the future.

8. Valentina

Valentina New Member

I wish they had been part of the Oly team :( but think they are happy with their carrears now so i wish them lucky for now on.

II really love their beatles fre dance, so cool.

9. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised, but I think after their results this year, it was pretty clear that they weren't going to get the placements they deserved. I think that says more about ice dance judging than it does about their own capabilities and skills.

I am glad to hear that they have some good professional opportunites, though.

10. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Awww... I bet they'll be great on the pro circuit.

11. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I am really going to miss them. Their Beatles free dance at 2007 US Nationals is the reason I started paying attention to Ice Dance. Now it is easily my favorite discipline. Whatever scores they received, they were always wonderful to watch. I hope they have great success in their future endeavors.

12. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Not really. I really like them and they seem like great people, but I never felt they were particularly screwed over. They plateaued on their technical abilities, and pretty much admitted that they were just going to continue to do comfortable exhibition style FDs rather than push themselves to evolve stylistically/choreographically. They were pretty much doing the same lifts for the last 3-4 seasons. I think they did as well as can be expected, and they seemed content simply doing programs they enjoyed. So, good for them.

However, they absolutely stole the show at 2006 Nationals. Kim was rocking the Bestemianova hair and he was totally :smokin:. Definitely their best year.

13. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Not a surprise but I love their OD this season. A tasteful team.

14. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I have to respectfully disagree. IMHO they continued to choose music and programs that were innovative and challenging, and which pushed them stylistically. As opposed to coming out season after season in Edward-Scissorhands-couture shredded costumes and writhing around to yet another shrieky faux-opera piece, which many of their contemporaries seemed happy to do and were rewarded for :(

15. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

16. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Not unexpected; but, sad news anyway.
    I hope that there are some Pro skating opportunities in their future,

17. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

I agree, their CD, OD and FD were all fantastic, especially the Michael Buble FD! I will really miss them. They really *danced*. I can't say that about many teams these days :fragile:

Anyone know which Holiday on Ice they will be doing?!

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

That. Their programs always struck me as being so empty. I know that's the case with most nowadays but still.

Brent provided great eye candy, though. :D

19. Pikachuusb

Pikachuusb Active Member

I'm sad to see them go, but I figured it would happen :(

I wish them the best of luck in whatever they do & hope they get several pro opportunities in the future :)

20. jenji124

jenji124 Well-Known Member

not surprising but :(

21. OlieRow

OlieRow Well-Known Member

Definitely not a surprise, but still sad to see this thread. I know they weren't the kind of team that'd come out and blow you away with insane level 4 elements, but they never failed to put a smile on my face. They stayed true to themselves and it was always obvious they took great pride in their skating and the programs they put out on the ice. I'll definitely miss NavBoms, they're one of the reasons I've come to love ice dance.

22. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I've always enjoyed the spirit of their programs. My FD of theirs is the Beatles one from several years ago. :) They will be missed next season!

23. plushenkofan

plushenkofan New Member

Not surprised, but what I'll miss is the fact they've had a connection with the audience that other teams don't have.

24. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

^^ This :respec:

Thank you Kim & Brent for 5 seasons of beautiful dancing and heartfelt programs. So happy to hear that they will continue to skate together and they are not breaking up! Wishing them the best of luck- whatever the future holds!!!

25. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

:wuzrobbed :fragile: that we won't see more of N/B as competitors :fragile: :wuzrobbed

But :respec: :cheer2: to them continuing to skate in shows, and :40beers: to them in their future endeavors!

26. freezin'rinkmom

freezin'rinkmom New Member

:-(

27. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov Well-Known Member

For me I feel that 05/06 and 07/08 are tied as their best years. My two absolute favorite NavBoms FD's are the Michael Buble and Corinne Bailey Rae programs.

Even though I already knew that Kim and Brent were done with eligible competition after this season, it is sad to finally see it stated officially. I'll miss them at Nationals.

I like the fact that everyone isn't doing the same programs. Watching the dance competition at Worlds this year I actually found myself a bit bored with icedancing (something I thought would never happen).
    So many teams did the Adagio or Requiem type programs.

IMO there is nothing wrong with a good void except when done by teams who can't really sell that style. Voidy doesn't work for everyone whether the judges are open to that style or not.

Back to NavBoms, I have wondered from time to time about their technical level. Are Kim and Brent truly not capable of adding more difficulty to their programs or were they just stubborn about the type of skaters they wanted to be and the types of programs they chose to present? Part of me feels that NavBoms can do better. Would they have ever reached the level of a DenStavs? Probably not but I never felt they couldn't have improved enough to have truly challenged a team like S&B.

28. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I wasn't talking about being "voidy" or the music choices.

I was talking about the content and originality of the choreography and connecting movement.

29. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov Well-Known Member

I get you. In that respect it seems there are only a handful (maybe not even that many) of dance teams left who bother to do more than connect the elements. And the new rules aren't exactly encouraging the remaining teams to make the effort. Actually I wonder if the rules for next season will hamper teams like the Kerr's and P&B from being as creative as they have been in the past.

Icedancing may start to look like the singles and even pair events.

It makes me miss teams such as DenStavs and DelShoes even moreso.

30. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I think it already does. :(

Word. :(