National Cheer Championships

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by barbk, Mar 1, 2012.

1. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I always thought that life as the parent of a female pairs skater would be very, very scary.

But a friend whose kid is involved with cheer/dance sent me a link to the just competed nationals. Holy smokes. (And then, where the heck do they find all these guys??)

http://varsity.com/event/1560/2012_nca_nda_allstar.aspx
    brings you to the cheer channel -- if you use the search box on the screen and look for Top Gun, and then pick Level 6 open take a look at how high those girls get flung. :eek:

(Not my friend's kid, TG.)

2. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

My high school cheer team won US Nationals, but this was back when cheer was really just becoming seen as a sport. They did have men on the team. They got them from the B-Boys who wanted to learn tricks for dance. Now, this was 800,000 years ago, so I don't know where they get guys today.

3. Sk8fun

Sk8fun Active Member

My daughter was on her high school cheer team. There were broken noses, sprained you name it, all the time. It's a dangerous sport with not much regulation that I saw. She was at a competition during the winter on hard gym floors. A girl fell from a high pyramid and to my surprise there was no medical team there on standby. This was an all day long competition with probably 50 teams and no EMS. Unbelievable. I was glad when she chose not to try out for the next season.

4. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I used to watch these comps when they came on ESPN all of the time, maybe 20 yrs ago or so. Nobody can ever say those kids are athletes. And the college competitons are just awesome. To be young and fearless......

5. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

I broke my ankle cheerleading. They tossed me up but didn't catch me right. It sucked because I had to wear a giant cast and use crutches for homecoming. But I still stood and cheered for the rest of the season. :lol: