Nat Geo: Afghan Women

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ebayj, Dec 5, 2010.

1. ebayj

ebayj New Member

A brief, but compelling essay from National Geographic. Be sure to also view the photo essay.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2010/12/afghan-women/rubin-text/1

Not for nothing - when any of my friends whine too much, I tell them, "STFU - you could be a woman in Afghanistan." It really appears to be a nation made up entirely of PTSD survivors at this point. Anything positive is going to take a lot of time to come to fruition.

2. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

That was very interesting to read, thanks for posting. They are probably right that much of the insanity comes from all the wars, they must have lost sense of perspective and of what's extreme or justifiable.

3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

4. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Not in the least to diminish the brutal costs of war, but stories like this have been coming out of Afghanistan for more than a hundred years.

5. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

The violence comes from an extremely patriarchal society in which *some* men harm and abuse women because they are entitled to do so and because they don't see women as people. Wars only exacerbate the tendency - which is unfortunately seen in other highly patriarchal societies as well (i.e. throwing acid in women's face and burnings wives in Pakistan).

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  6. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

7. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member