Nashville - Season One (Wednesdays, 10pm on ABC)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Nov 15, 2012.

1. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

He's an idiot, then. I don't think she's obligated to be loyal to him. How long have they been performing together? A month? Two?

2. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Finally caught up last night - goodness if you are a Deacon fan that ep was for you! Love that Deacon was both totally awkward, and the smoothest guy around :swoon:, and I thought his very, very honest talk with Gunner at the biker bar was awesome.

As for Gunner, yeah all a bit silly but I can see it. Little brother always wants to be the big man, and is haunted by the time he took off and blames himself for his brother's incarceration - and now for his death. That's pretty heavy, and while it's been weeks for us, it had only been a day or two for him, so emotions still raw. I really thought at some point he'd blame it on Scarlett for refusing to have the gun in the house and wanting to kick him out. Maybe that's to come, once he finds out about the record deal :)

Believe it or not I was defending the record producer when Avery was having his fit - maybe not what Avery wanted, but he's an adult and should know that this is what this guy does. He invests all the money and effort upfront and makes you a star - they were talking Europe so it seems the guy had big plans for him. Then hubby, a lifelong music fan and reader of music biographies, pointed out the number of big and small musicians who have been screwed by their record companies, and applauded his destroying the tapes. Wasn't big on that Bluebird song (and was expecting to see Wise Whitey or Bucky in the crowd), but did like the character development. So did he pay that $75K with the $100K he got for his song rights? Did that transaction happen?

Love everything about Juliette, but definitely do not want her getting mixed up with the counselor - just too much given his role in her mom's life. Like the idea of them all going on tour though - because then we get Deacon in that mix too.

Rayna is fabulous - loved her call to Juliette! "Girl!" :rollin:

3. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I love the way Juliette meditates. :lol: But who the heck told her to dress like Maria von Trapp leaving the convent for the first time?

Do NOT love all this bed-hopping crap. If that's what I wanted, I'd be watching daytime soaps. I know, this isn't Little House on the Prairie, but it's starting to feel out of control. Like a desperate and very obvious grab for ratings. :shuffle:

Hope dad's not down for the count. I was just starting to like him and his eville ways.

4. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Really Teddy, you're letting PEGGY FREAKING KENTER sleep in Rayna's bed? Yep, no one will ever find that out. :wall:

So - Lamar - poisoned or heart attack? I, know, it's pop's heart, but I think Peggy's going to go all boiled bunny by the end, so I'm totally flinging that out there now. :lol:

Singing sisters at sound check - too freaking cute. They've got something new up on YouTube, not the 'Ho Hey' thing, I'll have to go find it.

:lol: @ Rayna's billboard being outside of Juliette's room. But ugh at the 'life coach/rehab guy' turning into Juliette's new boy toy. And Juliette was winning me over until she totally dissed mom offstage and then praised her onstage. Really?

Scarlett Scary Hair is taking the deal - fun. When did their little house get an upstairs? And a separate laundry room? Really? Talk about plot contrivances.

Avery's going to NY to join a tour as a roadie? Gee, wonder whose tour it is. :shuffle:

Is Deacon quitting the tour again? I didn't catch that vet whisperer convo, I was too busy looking for cute puppy.

Song staging quibble - why do Rayna and Juliette start each song out with their backs to the audience? It should be a drinking game. :p

5. Wyliefan

I said that EXACT SAME THING during the show! :lol: That woman is not stable.

Totally with you on the "ugh." But I don't think Juliette dissed her mom, not really. She had a right to be excited about her deal. And it's not like you can produce warm fuzzy feelings on command for the woman who hurt you and neglected you all through your childhood.

6. bek

bek Guest

I disagree. Frankly I'm starting to hate Juliette's mother with the fire of a thousand suns and now the counselor as well.. I am tired of the mother going on and on about how you aren't there for me, you are trying to make money etc. You would think that Juliette was the parent who spend her life neglecting her child, and the mother was the child.

The mother should be on her knees literally trying to make it up to Juliette as far as I'm concerned. The mother made Juliette feel bad and she was in the statement in the concert trying to be nice.

I feel the mother is spoiled and entitled. I thought part of the whole sober process is taking responsibility for your own actions.

In fact I'm starting to think Juliette deep down is actually quite a sweetheart. She takes awhile to warm up because of all the crap she's been dealt with her life. But she clearly can do nice things for those she cares about....The only thing I do wish is she'd make it up to her old manager. But I can see why she hated being controlled.

7. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Called it! Although I didn't anticipate his dark secret (I won't mention it in case anyone missed the preview). woo!

I used to be able to overlook Scarlett's lame passive wounded bunny girlfriend persona, but I've had it. Grow a spine, girl! And brush your damned hair!

Loved Rayna's girls singing, even if it was just "Hey! Ho!". Loved all the shots of Deacon and his (sekret) daughter.

Great ep for Juliette. Rayna's billboard staring her in the face was just too delicious :lol:

Blah blah Teddy and the fragile snake Peggy, I forgot Lamar was even on the show. Is it too much to hope that this is a chance to write the character out? :saint:

8. heckles

I agree with you. Juliette is being very generous to her mother, taking her into her home and now on tour.

9. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

:rofl:

But yeah that was really pushing it having Peggy not just come over, but apparently move in. What's she doing in Rayna's house while Rayna's not there? Going through her stuff no doubt.

They need to somehow integrate the Lamar/Teddy/Peggy/ex Mayor story into the main story better, because right now it feels like they just keep flipping to another show. I doubt Lamar is dead, although the idea of being poisoned is intriguing. I was enjoying Rayna and Tandy together - and there was a glimpse of something there when Tandy said "we all worship you" - but I guess we were being set up for them all rushing to Lamar's bedside, esp with the "Daddy's girl" talk.

Music news!!! OK I knew the Stella sisters would be performing before too long because they are on the Season 1 - Volume II soundtrack due out next month! Disappointed that the Stella sisters (good Ontario girls btw, from just outside Toronto) are doing that bloody song, ugh. I've never liked the Celtic/East Coast sound and sadly the hipsters seemed to have adopted it in recent years and it's everywhere. Guess I'll just have to wait it out.

Note also the Scarlett/Gunner song that everyone was upset wasn't on Volume I is the lead track. But what's this new neighbour up to? Is he simply going to go after Scarlett and her mermaid hair and cause more emotional issues for Gunner, or is there more too it? Hubby's first thought was he was going to steal their songs - especially when he said he could hear them. (btw - recognize him? Luke on The OC)

Only a matter of time before Avery got back in the fold, so one assumes he's joining *our* tour. So, will he step in and take Deacon's place when he quits? Although I had the idea that Deacon planned to finish the tour and not actually quit - can't see him doing that to Juliette, unless her other guitar player (who left because his wife had a baby) conveniently comes back. They've got to get Avery back up on stage performing though, so perhaps a one time thing, some last minute contrivance?

I'd like to see Avery and Juliette duet. He wants to be bigger, she wants to be smaller (musically, ie play the Bluebird), so I could see them sneaking off on tour to play a small venue or two.

And I certainly don't want Juliette with Dante. I don't mind him in the counsellor role, but as sexual interest between mother and daughter? Non! And if he's got some big sekret I don't really care unless it directly relates to the story.

ETA - I just looked at the song list of the second CD again, and OMG no Deacon!!! Guess he hasn't been performing much this half of the season - hopefully that will be rectified after the tour is over and he returns to Nashville. Also, meant to mention that I was disappointed that we heard only the opening line of Juliette's new single, but then again I assume it will be played several more times in upcoming eps.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  10. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Rayna's going to come home, open the door and go "I smell SKANK!" Or Peggy will 'accidentally' leave something somewhere... I'm waiting for the fireworks when Rayna confronts that hag. :lynch:

11. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Honestly I'd be livid if I were Rayna. He's entitled to have a girlfriend as they are separated, but bringing her into the home where Rayna and their daughters still live? I'd be considering court action on that one.

But at the same time, it does make for good tv :watch:

I really like KWP and would like to see her develop this character a little more dimensional than suicidal bunny boiler, and I'd certainly like to see her smart side come out. Does anyone remember the shortlived soap of about 20 years ago called Savannah (ooo shows cancelled too soon thread!)? There was a character on it - Peyton - who is the perfect prototype for what Peggy could be. Smart, sexy, would stop at nothing to get what she wanted. Perhaps a little affair with Lamar? She'd be far more interesting as a potential step mom for Rayna and Tandy than for Maddie and Daphne. Even better if she uses her questionable financial tactics to somehow wrap herself up in the music business.

But then again, what I like about the show is that it's about the characters, and the music business, and it's probably better if it doesn't turn into Knots Landing!

12. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Hmm. Double post. Although I did just get to the bit where Juliet seduces Dante. Yeah. Don't like that! And who the hell rips their clothes off that quickly?! :eek:

13. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I just caught up! I love the song the Stella sisters sang :shuffle:

Amazing drinking game idea - they do always show the audience their back!

14. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Dragging this up from page 2. Doesn't bode well for us. :shuffle:

Note for future viewers - do not 'marathon' this show. You won't understand ANYONE's motivations since they switch from week to week.

Juliette has met her slimy match in that 'sober companion'. But, I'm going to enjoy watching those two together, until he gets the 'trap door' treatment and disappears without much of a noise (see virgin qb, and original manager for examples).

Rayna and daddy - I really liked these scenes. It was nice to see her and Tandy interact, I guess Tandy stepped up when momma ran off? We got more backstory on Rayna, which was good.
    If/when daddy recovers, I can see him being really ticked at Tandy for going to Teddy. Guess daddy's right hand man didn't tell Tandy that dad was trying to bribe Peggy FREAKING Kentor? But, Tandy's all 'protect my family' while daddy's looking for a deal. And has Rayna not gone home yet? Or did Teddy febreeze the 'smell of skank' out of the house?

Deacon's still our moral compass on the show - but I'm wondering who he'd pick if he had to choose - Ray or the vet? Also liked Deacon stepping in to help Avery. Given their backstory, he could have walked away laughing. But, now that slime companion is the manager, I guess Avery shouldn't rely on that job? Or will he step in and save the day when/if Deacon walks off yet another tour? :lol:

Also - I'm not a fan of upstairs cowboy. He can fall down the stairs and disappear any time. :p Maybe scary hair can join him. Wonder if Rayna's label will do a makeover on Scarlett? If so, can they chop that wig off her?

15. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Rayna's label needs to do a makeover on Rayna; she's got the worst wig/extensions/hairdo/whatever of the lot. Makes Connie Britton look 10 years older than she needs to.

16. genevieve

lest night's episode was terrible - it ran like someone picked up the bits that were intended to be scrapped and pasted them together. If you dig really deep you can find some worthwhile bits, but whoever edited this ep must have been out with Scarlett and the boys.

Who here was expecting that Avery would get the opening slot for Juliette's suddenly solo concert? Kind of nice that instead, he was caught between being hired and being fired all day long. :lol:

Dante is totally giving me a Terrible Ellis vibe now...except I wish the preview had been right and he'd really been involved with both Juliette and Jolene, instead of Jolene pathetically throwing herself at him (and wow, even Sylvia Jeffries seemed embarrassed by having to do that scene). But I'm looking forward to his insinuating himself into Juliette's life, even if it's a complete 180 from how the character started.

The expression on Scarlett's face when she had to sip the champagne she'd been given at the record label meeting...it was just a brief look right as she walked offscreen, but it was believable and funny. That wig is starting to take on a life of its own, though.

Please let Upstairs Neighbor put the moves on Gunner. I so thought he was going to try to steal Scarlett away (why? So she can get even more lucky breaks and his career can go down the toilet? And who even knew that Gunner and Scarlett's house had an upstairs apartment, anyway?), but the daredevil bromance is hilarious.

Peggy FREAKING Kentor sure looked like she'd already moved into the James mansion for good, hmm? I don't really understand why the press isn't watching the home of a country superstar who's going through a public divorce....how are they not on the cover of US Weekly? Her phone call was totally creepy...she's thisclose to boiling one of the kids' bunnies.

Deacon is the only thing that saved this episode from sailing off into pure Smash-level melodrama (not that that's a bad thing, but it ain't this show - or wasn't, anyway). He starts out so committed to his new gf, stands up for Avery, re-establishes his "family" relationship with Rayna, and ends by not even telling Vet Girl that he'd already been back and letting her believe he came back just for her. He's complicated, that one.

17. heckles

How great was it when Juliette tells Deacon that he should stop thinking of Rayna as family and he replies, "Yeah, she is" and takes off to be there for Rayna? Yeah, take that!

18. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I think the actress who plays Scarlett just has scary hair. I don't think it's a wig :shuffle:

I also like Rayna's hair. Shorter hair styles can make middle aged women look so much older, IMO.

The plot...changes so much. The first few eps were great, but it's a bit meh lately. Scarlett and Gunnar's duet was one of the things I LOVED about the first ep. When are they going to get them back as a duet? It was a good twist but...meh.

19. Wyliefan

If Deacon's our moral compass, we're in trouble. :lol: I don't deny he's got a kind heart, but he's also got more issues than Reader's Digest.

20. heckles

Hey now, give Deacon credit for kicking the bottle and not having four ex-wives. That's pretty impressive for a Nashville songwriter. :lol:

21. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I really thought the neighbor was going to put the moves on Gunner last night. Then, when they were driving toward the train tracks, I thought that Gunner would be killed and we no longer would have to suffer the ridiculous Scarlett/Gunner romance plot line. I guess not. I'll just hope that Gunner and neighbor hook up and ride off into the sunset.

22. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Until I read comments here it didn't occur to me that upstairs neighbour might have come by way of Brokeback Mountain. I didn't think he was after Scarlett either - more that he's realized they have connections and wants to use them to get ahead. No mistake that he wanted to duet with someone just signed to a big label, and to work on songs with someone with a songwriting contract. As I said earlier, I'm expecting him to steal some of their songs, or after this ep, for him to accuse Gunner of stealing his songs. It would be an interesting addition to the story if we're trying to cover the music business in Nashville.

If he's just a gay cowboy who's going to get the trap door (love that dbell!) then meh.

Love Deacon standing up for Avery - he might be his favourite niece's ex, but to Deacon, he's also a young musician who deserves respect and a chance.

Hate the Juliette appointed Dante her manager. It's as bad as Nolan making Padma CFO when he'd known her for 5 minutes and she had no credentials. Hello writers, we are not stupid, and Juliette shouldn't be either.

Loved learning more about Tandy - I've been interested in her character from the start, so I'm glad they are bringing her forward more, and we get to learn more about Rayna at the same time. Interesting that Tandy and Lamar are now more in Rayna's story, and Teddy's story is also more about the effect on Rayna that all the city hall stuff. Maybe they've listened to fans on this one - this show is about characters and the music business, not local politics.

23. Wyliefan

You've put your finger on the current problem, even though we don't yet know how this particular storyline will turn out -- when they could be giving us all these interesting music industry stories (like they used to), instead they mostly just give us the same blah bed-hopping that we could get on almost any other show. It's lazy and annoying.

24. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

The show might be in that period after the first episodes, desperate to establish a fan base and get renewed, when they start to respond to the early feedback from fans/advertisers/network execs, make some changes, and then find out that they made the wrong choices. Hopefully by the final eps of the season, things straighten out a bit and they get renewed, and then have a chance to really think about it as they head into a second season. There is so much potential for stories here, so many great characters, and the production quality is really high, so I really hope this continues!

And I don't mind the bedhopping when it's in character but doesn't drive plot too much - ie Deacon's escapades make total sense for that character. Juliette's do too from the point of view that she's young and horny and looking for human connections (due to her childhood, and the weird position of being loved and adored by millions, but totally separate from them). But what I don't like is the sex driving the plot - suddenly Dante's her manager, and the mother daughter triangle is just a bit much. The developing relationship between Juliette and her mother was getting really interesting, and real - that either of them acted on feelings for Dante, and that he was open to it, sort of blows that whole storyline IMO.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  25. heckles

I suspect that one won't last long. The guy already overstepped his bounds with the Avery sitch, so he'll probably soon make a unilateral decision that ticks off Juliette. Or he'll get caught skimming her accounts.

26. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Wow! That's her real hair? She looks better off set. Wonder if the rat's nest is on purpose then?

I'm convinced Avery's next up in Juliette's bed. Then she'll go after Teddy. :scream:

27. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

:grope:

28. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Yep - although she may have extensions. Fake accent, real hair. I think the actress is just kooky. She has an open twitter profile and always posts pictures of her very odd animals and other things. I get the impression she's quite eccentric.

29. genevieve

30. Wyliefan

Yeah, I saw those too. But if the bulk of the audience finds it as boring and off-putting as some of us here do, it could play havoc with the ratings. We'll see . . .

That makes a lot of sense. Hope they think long and hard!