Nashville - Season One (Wednesdays, 10pm on ABC)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Geez - a country song made me cry (Rayna's)? Best episode so far. Teddy is total scum. I hope Coleman isn't really falling for this bull. Maybe he's going to push Teddy out once he's in office. Poor Avery - NOT. Too bad that Whitey didn't get there in time to hear Scarlett and Gunner sing. He could have signed them on the spot!

And the press really didn't find out about Liam and make it look like Rayna was the cheater. I'm glad.

2. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Susan, I wasn't clear on whether the press was accusing Rayna of an affair with Deacon or Liam - did anyone catch that?

As for Whitey, he's already setting up a meeting between Rayna and Scarlett/Gunner for her new label. Of course Rayna missed their performance at the party, so we still have that storyline to look forward too.

As for Teddy, bit of a turnaround here - they had been keeping him on a rather neutral keel, but this ep he sure looked like a jerk, and suddenly Lamar and Tandy are the loving family 100% on Team Rayna. One does wonder how much different writers/directors for each ep influence things because I felt it was all quite a shift. I also wondered why a former mayor would suddenly - without consulting his wife who seemed so big a part of his career - decide to be #2 to Mr. Inexperienced. I guess he might be thinking he'll step back into the Mayor's office when Teddy screws it up? And seriously, in what universe did he think hiring his girlfriend and co-lawbreaker as a "consultant" was a good idea? One only has to read the metro section in any major city to know that's trouble waiting to happen.

3. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I'm sorry that they've evilled Teddy up. I used to really like him.

4. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I thought it was both. There were multiple tabloid stories. Kind of a bummer that he was the one who embezzled and cheated and has put the cheatee on the public payroll and now Rayna's the one being publicly blamed for cheating. I wonder if her kids are going to buy the public B.S. and when it's all going to come out who the daughter's father is.

5. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

It occurs to me that maybe they are jerkifying Teddy as they marginalize his SL. If other fans are anything like FSU fans, the political story has been the least popular, even with an affair and a top star thrown in. He'll still be there because he's the kids' father and there's still the whole Maddie issue to deal with, but maybe we are going to see less and less of him (although then why they bothered to bring the ex Mayor back into it - is he on contract or something?). Of course this leaving Lamar and Tandy with nothing much to do, and suddenly they are supporting Rayna.

I still think there's potential with Lamar and Tandy, but for now I'm more than happy to focus on our six musicians and the people around them.

6. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I don't know whether the intention is to turn Teddy into a (more of) a jerk. I saw that scene more as Teddy deciding to play hardball on his own initiative, pursuing his own agenda, instead of allowing himself to be Lamar's puppet. We already know that Lamar is bad news, so someone standing up to him could be good news.

Depends what Teddy's actual agenda is. Allying himself with Cole, who so far has been set up as a good guy, would look like a step in a good direction. And he says he wants to serve the best interests of the city. Of course, how much we can trust what any politician says, or what Teddy specifically says, is always questionable.

Trouble = juicy storylines. Although not about the music biz, which is the main focus of the show.

7. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

I guess I am one of the few who actually doesn't hate Teddy that much, nor really think he was much a jerk. Rayna is no innocent angel either. She pretty much had an emotional affair the whole time she was married to him. And I though she was pretty unforgiving about the embezzlement thing considering he returned the money. And I also think she pretty much used it as an excuse to leave him because she really didn't love him anymore or ever really like she loved Deacon. She pretty much went to Teddy after it became clear that Deacon was a mess and wasn't getting better anytime soon, all while pregnant with Deacon's kid I might add that Teddy raised as his own. And Teddy didn't sleep with Peggy until it was pretty clear the marriage was over. And he asked for a divorce pretty much the day after it happened. And Rayna pretty much almost slept with Liam and was more than likely going to sleep with Deacon if Teddy didn't show up and ask her for a divorce. Maddie overhearing his conversation on the phone was a unfortunate. And I call a bit of foul on his deep feelings for Peggy so quickly. As for him standing up to Lamar, I liked it. Lamar is a jerk and I like that Teddy won't let himself be manipulated anymore. Him using Peggy's new position to carry on their affair while a bit creepy is understandable since there is no way they could be together otherwise.

But yeah I agree the political thing seems out of place just because it is so isolated from the rest of the music stories they are telling. I don't think the show would suffer that much if the dropped it but I think it deserves a chance to become something bigger and better.

I am trying to get behind the Avery story bu so far that actor and his story leave me a bit cold. it was kind of interesting what Whitey said to him. So it might get more interesting. But I am very meh on him and the actor who plays him.

Loved the Gunnar stuff. And was blindsided by his brother's death.

Hayden is fabulous as is Deacon.

I loved Rayna's last song. it was great. Still wish Connie was a better singer. but she is such a great actress, I can get past it especially when the song is that good. I want them to shake up Scarlett a bit. I am beginning to find her a bit boring.

8. Wyliefan

Scarlett's got some backbone when they let her show it. I just wish they'd let her show it more often. (I also wish she'd run a brush through her hair more often.) But I can forgive her a lot for that beautiful voice.

But it also makes him look like a huge hypocrite, considering his little speech to Lamar about making sure his appointees are in the best interest of the people. Hiring your partner in crime -- literally -- is a MAJOR step in that direction. :rolleyes:

9. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

True:rofl: But a politician none the less. But whatever. She has some financial experience. What they did was terrible, but they returned the money so I think that mitigates what they did in a big way. At least for me.

10. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Yeah, they kind of brought up both the guys in Rayna's life, but they seem to focus on Rayna's longer relationship with Deacon. I mean really, a female country singer is not allowed to associate at all with any male members of her band or something? I was afraid they were going to have a video of Rayna going into Liam's hotel room. Why don't they notice that Teddy made his mistress part of his cabinet (or whatever a mayor has)?

On a side note - I don't see any threads about Dallas on this board? I've been yelling at the t.v.!!!!!

11. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Good insights chantilly! As this thread's token Avery fan ;) I do feel the need to jump in ... I actually like the actor and character, but more importantly, I think his experience is an important part of the story. In some ways there's some relation to Juliette's current position as someone who's found herself slotted in, and desperately wants to go in a different direction, and be taken seriously as a musician. Avery is at the beginning of that trajectory - at the fork in the road - having to choose between letting someone turn him into something he's not for the sake of fame and fortune, or sticking to his roots and possibly never making it big at all.

I think Avery, Juliette, Rayna, Deacon, Scarlett and Gunner each have a different story to tell within the same business, and I find it fascinating. Of course Scarlett and Gunner are basically the same story right now (music career wise), but should the show continue for several seasons (network gods, pleeeease!!!), that could easily change - I can see a fork coming up in their road over artistic differences, career choices, and how their personal relationship might mess things up (Rayna and Deacon anyone?).

12. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

His SL? What's SL?

Rayna's sister has always been flipping between supporting Rayna and not doing so. It's not such a huge jump for her. As for the father...I'm sure they'll be back to disagreeing soon.

Disagree entirely. Embezzlement of 2 million dollars is still embezzlement, regardless of whether or not you repaid the money. That might be a mitigating factor in sentencing, but it's still outright theft and a crime. A huge one, at that. The fact Teddy did it, and that he hid it, is something Rayna has the right to be pissed off about. He could still land himself in prison for it for a very long time. You don't think his wife has the right to be annoyed? It is a big deal, that affects their family.

Also, she didn't leave him. She was pissed off, but she told him she wanted to work on it. He left her. He asked her for divorce after sleeping with his partner in crime...literally. Who totally is the type to go all murdery while holding a kitten :lol: Teddy is an idiot for falling for that act, and lets face it...he was still in love with Peggy when he met Rayna. There was a nice scene where they dealt with that, and said that it was why Rayna and Teddy made a good team.

I agree. Actually, Avery's story reminds me of Katy Perry. Don't judge, I was bored and watched Part of Me. Anyway, she was slotted in with her old record deal, they were trying to sell her as another Avril Lavigne but she only hit the big time when she was allowed to be herself.

Avery struggling is one of the most realistic storylines they have. I'm not a fan of his character, but I absolutely want his character to stay in the show. I like watching his story.

Now to other things...am I the only one who knew Gunnar's brother was going to die? I saw the promo. There was a body covered by a sheet. Jason kept saying people were after him. If you paused the promo, you could actually see Gunnar looking upset next to the body. That Jason was going to die was the least surprising part of the show for me :lol:

To that end, he said he'd pissed people off in Texas, had the gun for self defence, and that they were after him. That's why he broke parole and ran. I don't know that he pissed anyone off in Nashville.

What confused me was the thing with Avery's guitar. Why did he return it? I know it was supposed to be symbolic of him choosing a path, but...was it supposed to be him choosing what felt right rather than the role they were boxing him into?

13. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

SL = Story Line ?

14. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

It was inevitable that this episode would be a bit of a step down after the last powerhouse wallop. Nice to see Juliette evolving when it comes to her mom, while maintaining her bratty, me-me-me side as well. Loved the way she approached Scarlett in her big ass car with the dramatik rolling down of the window etc etc :rofl: And I was expecting there to be some huge explosion about this party - kind of nice to have the party seem like a smooth success, despite all the undercurrents of trouble. More like real life.

re: Teddy - I have always seen Teddy as a weak man who's been bobbing alongside the life with his famous wife, and everything about his role since the show started has been his struggle to assert control and self-determination. Sometimes he acts out in selfish ways (ugh, the whole Peggy thing. I hate it more for being tacky than for the fact of the affair), sometimes in ways that cause celebration (when he has stood up to Lamar), but I think his character is more nuanced than just he's nice or he's a jerk. But he's a support character, so we don't get as much time to explore his story as the main group. I do think the Teddy-Coleman partnership is very interesting, though.

OTOH, Tandy and Lamar are totally unlikeable. Even when they're supporting Rayna I sense that it's only for their own interests. When they do the right thing, it's for the wrong reasons.

Well, that was an abrupt end to the brother-on-the-lam story. Disappointed that Gunnar is internalizing this as his fault (and you can bet at some point it will be Scarlett's fault for making him kick Jason out), and am I the only one who was totally skeeved out by the Dead Brother Seduction? I mean, those weren't sympathy moves, they were "your despair is making me HOT" machinations. Or possibly "I have no idea how to deal with you in this way but I know you have always wanted me so if we have sex you'll stop crying already, right?". Ick.

That was a really cute puppy.

15. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I haven't gotten a chance to watch my recording of this week's episode yet (I'm watching it tomorrow afternoon :D) but I wanted to let you guys know that there's going to be a Paleyfest panel for Nashville next weekend and it will be streamed live on the below website March 9th at 4:30 PM EST. Thought you guys might want to know about it! :D

Link: http://new.livestream.com/paleycenter/Nashville

16. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

:duh: That makes sense...:slinkaway

I think it was more this. I mean...what do you say to someone in that situation? I have friends who have lost siblings and sometimes there are no words.

And it's a REALLY cute puppy. I just hope he knows that lab puppies eat and chew EVERYTHING for the first few years! :lol:

17. genevieve

pml, so you seduce them instead?!? :p

I know what you're talking about, but there's grief stricken sorrow sex, and there's I can't keep my hand off you sex, and this was the latter. I don't know if that's a probem of directing or acting, but it was squicky.

18. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Agree. The grief stricken sorrow sex actually made sense. This...didn't.

19. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Agreed, and it comes on top of the fact that the brother was not written as a character, but as a plot contrivance. Same with Juliette's 5-minute husband. He was another plot contrivance, not a character. If Nashville keeps this up, it's over. I still think the first 3 episodes have been the strongest and it's been sliding slightly downhill with every episode since. (Still enjoy it though and will keep watching.)

20. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I sort of saw the Gunner/Scarlett sex thing as her realizing he needed her. She's always been able to count on him being there and now he's gone all night and not replying to her calls. She might have gone 'I could have lost him'. But, yep, it was like 'cry, cry, sob, kiss cuddle jump'. :p

Did anyone catch the promo last week on the Oscar show? It was Hayden in a spotlight doing a gorgeous slow version of "Fame". LOVED! But the song's not available to buy. HISS!

21. Wyliefan

I thought they were going to go there right away. I was all "Oh, he's going to blame her . . . oh, wait . . . okay, maybe he's not." :lol:

22. genevieve

I thought that's where they were heading right away too. I'm actually not sure which would have been better

:shuffle:

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  23. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I'm sure they'll go there when the novelty of the grief sex wears off ;) And then the grief sex will stop and they'll go back to mooning over each other.

24. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I think they might go there too. There are stages of grief, and blame's going to fit in there somewhere. Plus, they can't have the youngsters all happy and sunshine this early on - there have got to be a few more bumps in that road.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

FINALLY a new ep tonight! Previews look steamy ...

26. genevieve

omg has it been like 2 months since the last new ep?!?

this one was....just ok. Even though it's been weeeeeks and weeeeks for us, it's the very next day for them, and suddenly, Gunnar is a complete asshat who's willing to throw everything he's worked for away! At a biker bar!! And Scarlett shows that she's a doormat in relationships - but she'll get hers in the end, since her magical ladyparts not only turn men into complete jerks, but feed off of said men to generate her another step forward in a career she swears she doesn't want. whee!

decent understated scenes with Deacon, Rayna and Teddy in the hospital, with Juliette and her various minions (and ultimately with her mom's counselor, who is guaranteed to be her next inappropriate relationship :p), and WHEEE! Rayna wailing at Juliette on the phone :kickass: Fun stuff with Deacon and Pretty Vet Lady, Anonymous Puppy, and Coleman.

Oh, and Avery is still on the show. :rofl: at his song being mixed as dubstep

let's hope the show has shaken off the cobwebs and next week will be back to form.

27. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Gunnar in the hood and jacket at the biker bar had me :rofl: - yep, he looked tough. He was going to be slab meat next to worthless brother until scary hair and polo Deacon showed up.

Teddy's asshattedness continues. Seriously - he tosses the 'you were never there' argument at the family breadwinner? She was off making $ to support the family while he was embezzling with the mopey wanna be gf and going bankrupt. Ugh. Did he marry a singer and think she was never going on tour? And from the previews - inviting Peggy into the home? Yep, that'll stay secret. :rolleyes:

Juliette on the floor in the kitchen - love Hayden. She can stop a scene with just a look. And :cheer2: to Rayna yelling at her on the phone.

Glad Avery grew a pair. Had the feeling he'd show up at the Bluebird. Now, will he crawl back to the band or continue on with Gunner's leftover at the songwriting place?

Puppy is so cute. Figures Horn Dog owner would use it to score a vet. :p

28. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

So what was up at the end of the show when she got a call informing her that she had a record deal, and she's side-eyeing Gunnar in bed?

29. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Heckles - I think they only wanted Scarlett since Gunnar blew off the audition to drink and practice wearing tough guy clothes. :p

I'm wondering if Rayna will sign Avery next and then pair him with Scarlett? :lol:

My favorite scene was Deacon singing "Love Like Mine" to the unnamed puppy. And I giggled about "Sue" being his name. Don't think Doc Vet will last long.

Do we think Juliette's old manager will be coming back soon? Or will it be Rehab counselor/former millionaire taking the job?

30. genevieve

that's exactly what I was commenting on