Nashville - Season One (Wednesdays, 10pm on ABC)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Nov 15, 2012.

1. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

This was the first week that I actually liked Luke. :lol: That shocked me more than Gunnar being supportive or Teddy continuing to be clueless and evil.

So, Scarlett's mother beat her, belittled her, and locked her in a stick cell? I guess Deacon was off touring with Rayna while Scarlett was growing up abused. We've seen Scarlett have a feisty side, too bad she can only stand up to mom by singing at her. It explained a lot about the character and it's the first time I've liked Clare's acting in a long time. It seems odd that Avery didn't know about the history with her mom.

Juliette - why did you let Charlie Wentworth kiss you in public? I have to wonder if that's coming back to bite her. You have to know there's press lurking. Yoda (Avery) continues to be the voice of sanity and wisdom this year.

:kickass: Deacon. Great acting by Charles Esten in his scenes. He really cares about Maddie. That was so sweet to see. Not a fan though of the downward spiral of Teddy. He's always been a great dad, and he's off the rails lately. He can take lawyer lady and leave my screen.

:wall: to a 3 week break. IF the show comes back, they really need to follow the 'bunch of episodes/mini break/bunch of episodes' model. Yanking it off the air for a few weeks and then bringing it back could hurt the show.

2. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I think Avery did to a point, and realized it was a thing when she showed up. However I also think he thought she had found a way to deal with it - he referred to how she always spoke to her mother on the phone, and she replied "yes but we didn't really talk about anything" ie unresolved issues - issues that maybe she's really only facing now after Liam brought out her deeper emotions. The other thing is that Avery thinks he knows Scarlett from their time together, but they were younger and both have evolved a lot, so he doesn't know her as well as he thinks he does. Remember when Juliette thought she was on something and Avery brushed it off? Old Scarlett wouldn't have been on anything, but that was then, and this is now.

As for Deacon, he surely knows what kind of childhood his sister had, but might have no idea how she treated Scarlett. People can be very good at hiding these things. Plus Deacon has been on his own path - it's possible he thought his sister had somehow escaped the demons because she wasn't an alcoholic, but didn't realize that her demons manifested in a different way.

Exactly - the middle of a crowded bar, two famous faces for all to see? I'm wondering if that was just bad writing.

ITA.

3. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

I was glad we got that backstory, because to date I thought she was just flaky. I wish there had been hints of this before now.

4. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I'm not even sure they had this in mind. I only recall the mother being mentioned once - can't recall why, but Deacon said something like "your mother will kill me if I don't look out for you" in a fun way. And then there was the time some old bandmates came on too strong to Scarlett, and while she didn't like it, I don't recall her having the reaction of someone who has been physically abused in the past, but that might not mean anything. Deacon was protective of her at that moment, but he's the kind of guy that would likely react that way for any woman.

In all the dialogue with Avery, then Gunner - especially when he was having a hard time with his brother, then Zoey, then Liam, I don't remember anything about how she grew up or her parents.

5. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

When she was recording that "Under Your Spell" song with Liam, she specifically mentioned the song was about her mom.

6. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Ah, OK - but that was recent so perhaps they were only just then starting to lay the groundwork. And certainly Black Roses was a good song when she recorded it with Liam, but when she played it for her mother it became another thing entirely, and perhaps that was planned several eps in advance.

7. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

I agree with this whole post. Although I don't remember it ever indicated that Scarlett had a sketchy/difficult past. But I defer to you. The Mom/ Scarlett stuff went a little over the top for me last episode. But I think that was mostly the directing which I thought was over the top and heavy handed especially when Scarlett had a melt down. Sometimes the soapy stuff gets Days of our Lives bad soapy and this felt like one of those times. But Scarlett's songs have saved her for me these last two weeks.

That Deacon/ Rayna scene was so brilliant. Because they were both right. They both ****ed up. And made some bad choices. But I do think they were dong the best they could with their circumstances.

I have never hated Teddy. He also made some selfish poor choices, but he was always second fiddle to Rayna and worse Deacon. That can't be good. Especially when you are madly in love with someone who is madly in love with someone else. And his life is spiraling down a shit hole.(yes partly due to his own fault) It makes sense he would grasp onto the only thing he has left which is his daughter.

8. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

The one thing I'll say for this show is that it keeps the female characters front and center. The constantly changing relationships are very soapy, but the career stuff is also important, albeit in a fantasy glamour business.

9. Nan

Nan Just me

10. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Thanks for sharing :) The other thing is that while it's ratings challenged against some heavy hitters in its timeslot, its numbers go up dramatically every week in replays (ie many are pvring it). That's bad news for advertisers, but if they can continue to find other revenue streams (DVDs, CDs, now this special and tour - and that's just for starters) then it still might be worth it. I could also see a scenario where it gets moved to a cable station or even pay per view, such as House of Cards.

11. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

That concert was awesome! They should scrap the storyline and just do that every week! :D :respec: Goodness knows the music's the best part anyway.

(Did anyone else think the "Black Roses" songwriter -- Lucy something -- looked a tiny bit like Meryl Davis with shorter hair?)

12. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

But what would Connie Britton do?

Loved Black Roses.

13. Wyliefan

:lol: Well, hopefully she wouldn't have to be absent every week! I did miss her. I don't dislike her voice as much as some do, though Clare's and Hayden's voices are so much better. Clare just NAILED "Black Roses."

14. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

The tour is actually coming to Upper Darby PA, but I can't go. :( Shame, I'd love to see Clare Bowen live, she's amazing when she's just flat out singing. The song Hayden did tonight "Nothing in This World" is one of my favorites. I wanted more of Jonathan Jackson though.

15. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

That was a wonderful show tonight.

I knew that Claire wasn't American, but I didn't realize until tonight that Sam wasn't either.

16. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Loved it!!! A teeeny bit self congratulatory and a teeeeeny bit of rewriting history (in season 1 it was TBone Burnett who put the whole thing together; Buddy Miller was his #2), and I can see why Connie Britton wouldn't even want to do this given that she's the weakest singer in the bunch. Clearly they are promoting the tour with the secondary cast members, and my bet is Hayden (as Hayden, not Juliette) will be coming out with a solo CD when the timing is right.

I have saved it to watch again :)

17. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

I watched it last night AND DVR'd it - and I have replayed "This Town" three times this morning. Is that the prettiest song ever? I have mentioned before that I don't like country music, and that song and Black Roses are not country at all.

I remember when they first did that song at the end of the show, and it was so haunting, and it got to me because Deacon was playing the piano because he couldn't play the guitar. And I was talking about it with a friend the next day and we both pointed to the goosebumps on our arms! But you couldn't hear the whole song because the last part of it was in the background of other things going on. I'm glad I got to hear (and see) the whole thing.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  18. Wyliefan

19. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Nah, it wouldn't be Trashville without Juliette looking sultry, Raina looking pained, Maddie looking sullen, Avery looking hot, Deacon looking incredulous...

20. Wyliefan

Hayden is amazing. She really is. I can think of very few actresses her age who could make me like Juliette so much.

21. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

That was a very good episode. Excellent performances from everyone. That fight between Deacon and his sister was ugly and raw. The actress did a superb job of walking that line from being agitating and annoying.

Ugh, Juliette.

22. Wyliefan

Nice to see Ft. Campbell! My dad was stationed there when I was two. AIRBORNE! :respec: I might have teared up a bit when Juliette talked about her dad . . .

In other news, apologetic Deacon is VERY hot. :swoon:

ETA:

Anyone else think that Juliette might have got pregnant from that one-night stand? I was getting a weird vibe from next week's trailer . . .

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  23. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Bumping for tonight's season finale and the happy news that Nashville has been renewed for another season!!

Sassafras and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

:cheer2:

25. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Really enjoyed the finale, so much happening! Good cliffhanger to leave Rayna with both men making their intentions clear while she's probably more focused on her album and her label right now, way to centre the story back on her going into season 3. I noted this ep was written and directed by creator Callie Khouri, so you just knew Rayna's story would be so well done.

And Juliette - somebody please wake up and give her an Emmy - and not for supporting, but for lead!! Obviously writing is also at play here (Callie's vision no doubt) but Hayden's acting is outstanding and continues to push the character further and further.

Anyway, I think I'm talking to myself here - my Season 2 Volume 2 CD just arrived so plan to put it on high rotation over the long weekend :)

26. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:cheer2: I'm so glad!

27. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I haven't posted a lot here lately but I also thought the finale was excellent! I am SO happy this show was renewed and I can't wait for season three! :cheer:

28. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

I loved the ending of that season. Both Juliette and Rayna kicked ass !