Nashville - Season One (Wednesdays, 10pm on ABC)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Nov 15, 2012.

1. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

If Jeff gets an arc, I'm outta here! :p

Oh, and Lamar too - he better not get the 'I didn't kill her, I just covered up your mother's suicide/tried to get rid of Wacky Beret' storyline next week.

2. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Yes, that Boone guy was obviously a spoof of Sam Walton, although I'd call him shrewd rather than slime. I don't think it would have been so terrible if Rayna had taken him up on his offer, as it seems that he was going to yank Juliette's CDs no matter what Rayna did.

3. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't quite get the big deal. It's not like when I go to Walmart there is a shelf specifically reserved for Beyonce, One Direction, etc. It's whatever currently available and popular. I would have no idea that a specific CD kicked out another CD.

4. heckles

I'm tired of Rayna's snotty older kid. "Waaaaah, two men love me like a daughter and I go to fancy parties full of celebrities!" Suck it up, kid.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  5. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

And down goes Lamar. I had a feeling it was coming. And you just know it's gonna come out that he didn't have Crazy Peggy killed after all! :lol:

Too bad -- Powers Boothe gave an incredible performance in this one. I was just starting to warm to the character, and then BAM. Well, that's how they do it on TV -- make you like 'em just before they wipe 'em out.

Also -- I do like Rayna's new single, I really do, but she needs to start singing something else or I'm going to have it stuck in my head FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. :scream: It's been, what, three episodes now?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  6. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Wyliefan, maybe they're pushing it because Connie doesn't sound whisper nasal on it? :p

I'm going to hell for this, but I like pill popping happy Scarlet better than whiny mopey 'you stole my ex boyfriend/I'm famous and on tour' miserable Scarlet.

Teddy doing nothing and just staring at Lamar dying was all kinds of awesome. And really - Lamar barges into Teddy's office with no warning just to find Mr. Mayor standing there with his arms crossed glaring? :rofl: This is such a soap! PS - I called it upthread that he didn't kill the wife (riiighhht).... :p Wonder who gets his money?

Bored with the Zoe storyline, and the new hair was all kinds of wrong.

Foofy pillows and Fellini - LOVED JAvery! Comic gold. I'd happily watch an hour of Juliette, Avery, and Deacon, forget the rest of the cast.

7. Wyliefan

Save a seat for me, because I couldn't agree more. :lol: She was nicer when stoned to the gills than she has been all season!

8. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Favourite moment was Deacon looking at Avery and Juliette and saying "I like this." Me too :)

9. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Is it just me or are there more storylines going on than usual?

10. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Bumping up from the depths to discuss :p

Who called Liam and Scarlett upthread? Mopey speedhead has only herself to blame if her exes are in a trio. I got last year Avery flashbacks when she was standing outside the Bluebird. Walk in and hang with your uncle - don't go sulk in a studio.

Not excited with the "Zoey is now an amazing singer" storyline. :yawn: But, Gunnar seems to not want her to sing. Shades of Scarlett anyone?

So, Teddy confided in lawyer lady that he watched Lamar die? Those two will be an item (yep, saying it again).

Not a fan of Rayna this episode. Connie seems 'off' on this show, whereas her FNL role was always pitch perfect. Guess it's the jumpy soapish writing?

Juliette and Glenn are the best team! :) That OTT 'famous' producer was just bizarre. And do people really record live in a studio with harps, strings, band, vocal backups AND horns? I do like how she's mellowed, let's hand it to the reformed Avery (the most unbelievable character turnaround ever). :p

11. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I am the only one who ever loved Peggy but Teddy's line that had he known Peggy miscarried before they got married, he still would've married her? Bull@(*)@!

12. Wyliefan

So they FINALLY revealed that! Good grief. Took 'em long enough.

13. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Just caught up on the most recent two eps, and enjoyed them thoroughly! OK we knew that Juliette would end up on Rayna's label, but it was fun getting there, and from the previews, it will be an interesting ride :)

We also knew Deacon's girlfriend was going to end up with Teddy at some point, but since they made it such an awful thing, it doesn't appear that they are really trying to get us invested in either of these characters, especially when I'm assuming most if not all fans love Deacon. So maybe Teddy won't make it to next season other than a recurring character when they need the father of Rayna's children or Deacon's fatherly adversary for a plot point. Girlfriend is nice enough, but not an interesting character and since she's not involved in the music business there's not much point keeping her around.

Love the music (especially Gunner/Zoey/Avery plus them with Deacon), love Juliette and Avery and just plain Juliette any time, still interested in Will and yes, Layla too now that her position is more interesting, love seeing Jeff flail around, really want things to turn around for Tandy.

Next question - Lamar was wealthy and into a lot of businesses - I know there were legal issues and maybe he lost a lot, but it does seem that Rayna and Tandy, and the girls, should be into a lot of money right now. Wonder why that wasn't mentioned at all when Rayna's company was having issues. :confused:

14. heckles

Hey, good on Megan for doubling her pleasure, but what was the extended build-up with Teddy, only to finally seal the deal in a car? A car? Isn't that how Teddy first started grinding on Peggy too? Sheesh, you're supposed to be over that first-time car-freaking nonsense by, I don't know, 28.

15. heckles

I bring to you the Trashville Drinking Game:

Take a sip when Rayna's kid says something snotty.
    Take a drink when someone hooks up with someone who is in a relationship with another person.
    Take a gulp when Juliette demonstrates that nobody is the boss of her.

16. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

As soon as the episode was over, I was on iTunes downloading He Ain't Gonna Change. Talk about an earworm. :lol: They could just let Hayden sing all episode and I'd be happy.

Time to call my next couple - Luke and Tandy. She's desperate and he's slime.

Javery continues to rock the screen every week. Love how they had an adult discussion at the end. And I now want comfy chairs and an outdoor fire pit. :swoon: Whoever does the set decoration deserves an award.

Maddie seems to be on a path to reveal her real dad, and wear bad makeup. Teen angst. Ugh. Poor tiny sister looked sad.

If Rayna had just laid out her plans and reasoning to Juliette instead of letting Tandy go all Jeff Fordham on her, it would have gone so much better. But that 'do nothing for months except fire your opening acts' lead to all kinds of plot twists.

Speaking of plot twists - Really Will? :wall: You had the chance to dump Layla and instead you proposed? :scream:

Gunnar continues to be the bad boyfriend/desperate for a singing gig guy. I'm willing to bet next episode that Zoe and her hair got the gig.

17. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Indeed. It sure looked like they were trying to tell us she didn't get it, but it seemed like classic soap opera attempt at pre-commercial cliff hanger to me. The question is, whose tour is she about to join? Luke/Will/Deacon? Juliette/Scarlett? Rayna? Layla?

And yeah, I could easily watch an entire episode of Juliette only :)

18. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I started this show, then stopped watching, then caught a recent episode and was involved again. But I do tend to fast forward to the Juliette parts. Save Juliette, save the World!

19. heckles

I don't pay much attention to Luke. What's slimy about him?

20. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

I think with Luke it has mostly been hints. I honestly can't remember but there was something specific he did around his tour or career etc. But there is a certain cockiness about which I think is deliberate. I get the feeling that with him is that he is pretty much just selfish and and ego driven.

The Deacon touring with him thing will be interesting.

I know this show is a little too the top soapy sometimes but it also has some great writing too.(plus I kind of like the soapy stuff, it's mostly entertaining) I think they way they have brilliantly kept Deacon and Rayna on the back burner is some of the best writing I have seen on TV with the "will they or won't they?" trope which has been getting old, predictable and boring in other shows. Hey imagine that,people can have other story lines that are compelling too outside of "Will they or won't they?" that you know are about their families and careers. And they can even have other romances that are interesting to watch even if you know they are ultimately doomed.

Anyway, in general I think this has been the strongest season so far.The writing has been pretty good compared to some of the crap last season.

I struggle so hard to like Scarlett. I did like her in the first season. But she has just become such a whiny basket case. It makes me think she actually doesn't deserve a music career. And Gunnar needs a slap upside the head. But at least I still find him somewhat sympathetic.

I actually quite like Zooey, she is really growing on me and she really has the best singing voice on the show. Plus I think it would be interesting for them to explore the fact that she is a woman of color in the country music scene.

Will is heartbreaking and I think him proposing to Layla is a sad, pathetic mistake but totally makes sense for his character. So far I am not the biggest fan of her. But she is going to go full bitch when she finds out about his secret I am pretty sure.

The Maddie stuff, while she is annoying is so on point and realistic. Teddy was completely right here. I am probably the only one who likes Teddy. But then I always do like flawed people. Plus he has a ton more chemistry with the lawyer then Deacon. I think if they consider keeping him duplicitous he will stay interesting.

Juliette continues to be the most compelling character. It annoys me that she is nominated in best supporting actor categories, because she is not. She is a lead. Her and Rayna together is going to be a great story line.

21. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I do agree that the season is better than last season (although I preferred the music last year). A lot (I mean, A LOT) more interaction amongst the cast. At the same time, it may also be due to expectations. I think last year, I was expecting a lot more from the show that I actually received (although I experienced the biggest surprise at just how wonderful Hayden Panettiere continues to be). This season, my expectations were greatly tempered and I can enjoy the show as is.

If there is a big hole in the show, it's Rayna. Her character is so passive (I mean, Rayna signs Juliette Barnes because Juliette sought *her* out).

Luke is slimy because the actor sucks. I will always hate him because of Smash.

22. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

The music we have heard has been really great this year but few and far between. I agree Rayna has become a bit passive. But then everyone else had been handling everything for her. Being the boss is new. And I personally didn't get the impression she signed Juliette just because she sought her out. Rayna needs a big name for her new label. It's a win win (or lose lose depending on how it goes) for both of them. They both need each other.

As for the Luke thing. He was a tool in Smash. But I am not going to hold that against him. But have to admit there are shades of that character here and I think it's deliberate. So he is really doing a good job and actually doesn't suck. His character does, not the same thing.

23. heckles

It pretty much had to go the way it did. Juliette has been such a witch to Rayna all this time, and would have laughed at Rayna had she initiated the deal. Both women had to be at turning points to come to an agreement, such as it is.

24. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

His first comment to Rayna about his perception of Juliette's lack of talent bugged me.

The big thing to me was when Gunnar wrote Ball and Chain. Luke made the comment that he was taking a writer's credit on it. He backtracked when Rayna side eyed him. I know it's common in the industry - the singer changes one word in a song and they get $. But, that puts him at odds with someone like Rayna, who wouldn't do it.

This might just bad writing: When Rayna told Luke at the music festival that she was going to buy out her contract, he walked off after saying 'see you when I see you'. BUT, an episode later, they were all happy again. :confused:

Last week, Luke knew that the check to the studio bounced. Later in the episode, Rayna lost a band she was trying to sign because they'd heard about the check bouncing.

Off Luke, and on to the other annoying "L" character - Layla. :p Since she's the reason Juliette's tour fell apart, I don't have much sympathy for her having to go tour tiny places. And it's really a view of reality singing competition - what's hot this season is ignored next season when the newest star is coming out. Someone like Miranda Lambert is an anomaly - she finished 4th on Nashville Star and took her time getting her first CD out there. The 'winner' and the 2 other people in front of her on that show - disappeared without a trace. The subsequent winners, gone too. With so many reality shows out there, it's tough for even the 'winners' to stay in the public eye. They're disposable commodities to the labels. Carrie Underwood is a TOTAL exception to this rule, of course.

And now, on to Juliette. Heckles, I don't think Juliette has been a witch to Rayna this season at all. I think it all changed for Rayna when they 'cowrote Wrong Song and went on tour. Juliette wants to be Rayna. Maybe Juliette initially hated Rayna because Jolene was such a Rayna fan? What I love about the writing of these two is that Juliette went from sniping at Rayna being on 'her plane', to offering her plane to Rayna when Lamar had his heart attack. They went to each other's parents funerals. They're no longer rivals, but working from a place of mutual respect.

25. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

He's desperate. Desperate to have success. Desperate to not have his sexuality revealed. Desperate for a career that will make him feel like he means something. Desperate to have his ever-returning ex just exit the picture like he keeps saying he will. Desperate about men from his past stepping forward. This guy is in SUCH a bad place...

I also dropped out and re-joined to ogle Will Lexington's Levi's. Now I don't fast-forward at all. :D

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  26. heckles

I recall some cattiness post-Wrong Song, but I agree that Juliette mellowed toward Rayna. Juliette could have spilled the story about Maddie's paternity, but showed some unusual restraint there. She did, however, recently advise Maddie to continue to aggressively pursue her singing career even though she knew that Rayna and Teddy were trying to temper it, so that seemed underhanded.

27. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Agree. I haven't looked it up to verify, but it's almost like different writers for different episodes aren't communicating with each other, and/or someone's not keeping an eye on the overall storylines and character development.

At the core of it, I don't think he's accepted his own sexuality, and that's why it makes sense that he asked Layla to marry him.

I really like that they've made this story about far more than simply a gay guy trying to hide his sexuality for career reasons, and I think Chris Carmack is doing a great job in delivering the complexity of the character, and bringing us into his story.

I don't think it was unusual restraint. From the beginning she recognized that she was in a position to positively influence Maddie - something Juliette was sorely lacking as a youngster until perhaps her manager came along. She has always been sweet to the girls, even when she and Rayna weren't in the best place, and she's been responsible about it - the first thing she did after ensuring Maddie's safety when she ran off was call Rayna. I don't think encouraging her music was underhanded at all - it's not like she'd telling her to let her schoolwork slide or not listen to her parents or anything like that - she's just encouraging her to keep writing, playing and performing, likely in part because Juliette knows that's what got her through a very difficult childhood and teen years, and in many ways continues to be so important to her - not just her success, but her overall wellbeing.

28. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Loved last night! Lots of music and performance, and I can't recall when I've ever found a story about parenting to be that interesting :lol:

Worried about Deacon punching the wall though - isn't his hand barely healed from the accident? And just as his career is doing well?

Glad lawyer girl is out - didn't really dislike her (until she made the :confused: choice to a) screw around on a perfectly good man and b) do it with Teddy), but she added little to the plot other than holding back potential storylines for Deacon with other women.

29. Wyliefan

Wow. Scarlett's mother makes Juliette's mother look like Mary Poppins.

I guess they decided they had to come up with some reason for Scarlett being such a mess. Not a very original reason, though. Now all three of our heroines have mommy issues!

30. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

This show just keeps getting better IMO - I really hope there are more people watching than just Wyliefan and me! I did hear that there's going to be some sort of tv special featuring Hayden, and that the boys of Nashville are going to be touring playing some smaller clubs, so that's good news - I do think they need to keep promoting the music.

As for Scarlett's mother, I think it makes some sense. There was a clear implication that she had a very rough childhood, and by extension that could mean it was just as bad for Deacon (not always, but could be), and could be the root of his own demons. I thought I caught that they used to sing together when they were young and write songs, so an escape for them then and still for Deacon now. Scarlett's poems make sense, and Liam bringing that raw emotion out through Black Roses, which now has so much more meaning. Scarlett was outstanding in that performance.

The other scene that was great was Deacon and Rayna at the end in the cabin. Deacon totally slapped her down, but then she totally put him in his place - at the same time, they know each other so very well, and if this show lasts (pleasepleaseplease) I don't think it's the end of them.

I didn't even mind Teddy this week, and the chanced to hear the younger Stella sing on her own for a bit was worth the whole hour in itself.