Nashville - Season One (Wednesdays, 10pm on ABC)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Nov 15, 2012.

1. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Just when I was thinking how great it was to see Juliette have a platonic male friend that she didn't come on to, she shows up at Avery's door. :wall:

2. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I have a question about the Deacon character. I found his entry on the Nashville wiki, but it didn't answer my question as to if he has ever had a solo recording career or not. And if he did, how many albums did he release and what kind of success did he have (or not)? Or has ne never released an album and is only known as a member of Rayna's band?

3. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

I am not sure but I think he had one album. Maddie was listening to it and trying to learn a specific song, I think the one she played at that kids concert when she asked deacon to come up and join her and teddy flipped his lid. I don't know if that was before the beginning of his relationship both romantically and professionally with Rayna or somewhat in between when they were off and on and he was post rehab.But I got the impression that it was his only album and then he felt that he was better suited as Rayna's guitar player, manager, co-song writer.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Apparently yes - a year ago the actual house that Rayna is supposed to live in was on the market for $19.5 million.

Let us also remember that while his fortune may be in jeopardy, Rayna's father is still a rich man, as is apparently Tandy. They have companies and real estate and as we learned Rayna also had investments, so I don't think Maddie and Daphne are in any danger of being homeless any time soon.

Finally got to watch the last ep last night. Until the last 3 minutes, it almost felt like they were wrapping up the show :( but then they threw all that at us at once! This was billed as the "winter finale" so I expect the Luke and Crazy SLs will be wrapped up very quickly - surely they will keep Luke alive as Chris Carmack is listed as one of the core characters as opposed to KWP who is only recurring. Unless there is some contract dispute we don't know about, they can do a lot more with that character AND he's actually a good singer.

Speaking of which I picked up the new CD for the first half of the season, and am listening to it non-stop. Big surprise is Layla's song - I think we've really only heard snippets plus she's a despicable character, but when I listen to the whole song she's actually really good. The songs that Gunner and Deacon sang in their parking lot concert are also excellent, and there's a duet by Scarlett and Deacon that's quite haunting. Two Stellas songs for those who love them. IMO sadly the only one of the actors whose voice isn't really going anywhere and doesn't back up the character she's supposed to be playing is Rayna's. I don't mind it, but it's the kind of level you'd expect from Scarlett's or Layla's character, not the hugely successful country star.

What I don't understand is why beyond the Elvis Costello cover from early last season, they are only recording Avery's high voiced piano pieces. He's better than that, and I hope they give him a chance to play more often in the future than just being everyone else's backup support.

The scenes with Juliette then Scarlett then Juliette were intense - well done on the writers' character development and the actor's portrayal. And of course Hayden continues to impress - she got the only GG nomination this year, and rightly so.

Favourite dialogue was from Deacon - that character is really, really well developed. "Did you screw around on Scarlett? Good then we can talk about the rest later, and that means never." :lol:

5. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I think you are right. Deacon recorded one album, likely a long time ago either when he was starting out as a songwriter, as a side project when he was with Rayna (and would have had more backing from a recording company to do it) or after they broke up (perhaps for example when some connection wanted to help him out post rehab). You are right the song that Maddie played at the kids concert was his - she was also listening to it in a previous episode. The lyrics are about being thankful for what you have, so post rehab might make some sense as it's a personal sounding song. At the same time all the stuff he wrote for Rayna was about their relationship and/or songs suited to her career, so one can imagine that as a side project he might have recorded a bunch of songs he'd had for awhile that didn't suit Rayna.

Either way, if you look at lots of big bands, the lesser known members often have solo projects out there somewhere, and ditto the many excellent musicians who backup bigger artists.

For the show, I think they were also trying to lay some groundwork. At first Deacon was positioned mostly as guitar player/band leader/cowriter, but as the show went on we started hearing more about his solo songwriting (remember when Rayna and Liam sang Postcard from Mexico?) as I think they might have been preparing for the current SL, including last night's statement that he felt ready to try being a frontman instead of someone else's guitar player.

6. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Crazy Peggy, we hardly knew ye. :(

7. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I really liked the show last night. The opening song was gorgeous. I'll be hunting for that one next...

Really feeling bad for Juliette. It's killing me that Layla is the one who called the press and now she's being begged to defend our little blond homewrecker to the press. The way things are going with Edgehill, they'll be left with just Layla. Hopefully she'll be able to sing something other than Juliette's back catalog? :p PS - welcome back to Juliette's unnamed assistant! :cheer2:

I felt bad for Teddy. That beret wearing sack of lunacy and pig's blood really loved him. Wonder if his investigation will lead him back to Lamar?

Scarlett and Avery - I think they're heading for 'best friends who are exes' land. Their conversation was one of the most adult they've had on the show (yep, the Avery redemption storyline continues). Also - how many people need to tell her that she needs to get over Gunner before she realizes he's her twu luv? Still not a fan of Zoey. She can get written off any time now and I'll be happy. Maybe they can send her to hairdressing school? :p

Deacon needs to be brokenhearted and mean to write music? Guess it does come from a place of suffering. Pretty surprised that lawyer lady didn't dump the food on his head when he was snarking at her. The ending scene with Maddie was nice. Totally sucks that if he had stayed sober that that could have been his life.

Rayna - so, she tells Liam she's 'seeing' Luke? Is that the same Luke who told her 'see you when I see you' and walked off when she told him she was leaving Edgehill?

Will - some great moments for Chris Carmack last night. Gunner really is a good friend to him. Oh look, the Gunner redemption storyline is happening now...

8. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

So, is Kelly Clarkson now part of Rayna's record company or is Rayna a-ok about Scarlett writing music for Kelly Clarkson? If Kelly friggin' Clarkson wants to sing Scarlett's songs, I don't know, why isn't Rayna putting Scarlett's song on Scarlett's own friggin' record? Or Rayna's record? Why do the writers make Rayna so incompetent?

The Gunnar/Will stuff was great.

9. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

Scarlett is beginning to annoy me. Glad Zoey gave it to her with both barrels. Time for her to grow up and act like a professional.

I think the Teddy stuff might lead to something interesting. I can;t believe I never thought of Lamar. I thought it might be about the embezzlement.

I love Deacon. He was being a jerk but I like that he is imperfect and flawed and human. As I do all my characters in film and TV

I love Juliette, but thought the protesters were a bit weak of a plot line. I know people protest just about anything these days but it didn't ring that true to me that a bunch of people would be so up in arms about an alleged affair they would protest her and burn her records. If her comment was made to some random guy on the street while she was taking a fan pic for example, then I could have believed the protesters would come out. But before that I just didn't buy it.

I like the idea of her and Avery together. I didn't like him getting back together with Scarlett. But I did love their conversation last night. Maybe Scarlett is growing up after all. As for her and Gunnar, I am not sure anymore. I am one of the few that like Zoey.

Rayna and Deacon have such amazing chemistry. They had one scene and it was still there. Loved that last song. That Stella girl is fantastic. And loved the exploration of not being able to write from a place of pain which is all Teddy has known. Think it is an interesting idea. Finding a way to write from joy too.

10. Wyliefan

I think Scarlett has officially taken over Peggy's title of Wet Mess. :blah: Awful behavior from her last night. Like uncle, like niece, I guess -- Deacon was being pretty scummy too, though at least he apologized. I was really rooting for Megan to break that plate over his head. :lol: "You're bugging me," indeed! Jerk!

I really want Teddy to find out about Peggy's deception! Though it won't be nearly as much fun without Peggy there to face the music. Harumph.

11. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Did Kelly sing at all during her guest spot? I recorded it but don't care to watch if she didn't sing a song.

12. Wyliefan

No, she just sat there and talked with Scarlett and Gunnar (and watched Scarlett behave like a blithering idiot).

13. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Well that's disappointing. I will skip it, then.

She apparently recorded some song originally done on the show for her country album. I wish they had found a way to have her perform it on the show but maybe she will come back and they can work it into the storyline around the time she releases the album.

14. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

That would upset my husband ;) But seriously, I actually like the character and I like her and Gunner together. Scarlett is just being such a twit - Avery said it all - you dumped him, you're seeing me now, what's the problem?

Speaking of which, Avery's message to Juliette at the end made me melt into a little puddle of mush.

I'm no expert, but I don't think this is anything to do with Rayna. Rayna had the record deal, but someone else has the publishing deal. If Scarlett puts out a record of her own songs, the publisher will get part of the proceeds. And the publisher can sell songs to anyone they want, and if Kelly wants them to write more songs, that's outside of Scarlett's relationship with Rayna's record company.

And Scarlett's an IDIOT. She blew it for herself, she blew it for her writing partner, she blew it for the publishing company that she works for. All because she's a big suck. Soooo tired of her whining and selfishness.

I thought the protesters were a bit much, but I imagine they didn't just pull this out of thin air and are basing it on something that could realistically happen. Also, the burning of pictures and CDs didn't start until after she said "there is no god."

Which I knew would be trouble when she said it, and I'm surprised Layla made the same error. You never repeat the negative. Sure, there were a dozen witnesses to the full statement she made, but in a world of sound bites and squibs and people consuming multiple media at once, and importantly one where public outcry often swells based on very little (mis)information, you simply cannot say stuff like that.

So where is this going though? It seems to me that Rayna and Juliette need each other right now and their stories are about to become entwined again. Rayna needs some fast cash flow for her record company - her record is too artistic, Scarlett is not ready for the big time, the band she auditioned, if she were to sign them, is niche. Juliette is a hitmaker - as her manager said, a handful of people hate her, but millions still love her. And while young Layla's effort didn't work, one might think that endorsement from the great Rayna would go a long way - and she already said she didn't think Juliette would say something like that, so is already kinda on her side.

It would be sweet if one of Deacon's songs became the hit that Rayna needs, but at the same time I can't see her going backwards career wise. Her two biggest hits since the show started were with Luke and Juliette - two megastars who are more current than she is. Again, I think she needs Juliette, and I want to see them interacting again on the show.

And please just get rid of Teddy or relegate him to occasional status. Lamar is more interesting to me, and Tandy is the character they really should be developing more. At the spa indeed!

Oh and happy to see Emily back from "taking care of her aunt" ie we needed her for the storylines and maybe fans were even wondering what happened to her.

15. Wyliefan

Here's what I don't get: Are they deliberately trying to make Scarlett an annoying brat? Or do they honestly think we're going to empathize with her everlasting poor-little-me act? It's really hard to tell sometimes with TV writers.

I was actually kind of pleased about Tandy's spa vacation. Lord knows the poor woman's earned it. :lol:

ETA: Oh, and Jenny, don't forget that Layla is EVILLE. :EVILLE: She probably repeated the negative on purpose.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  16. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

I have a feeling that Juliette may end up dropped by Edgehill because of the scandals and Rayna will sign her. It will put them in a direct working relationship where plenty of juicy conflict can ensue.

17. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I think you're right.

I'm also really annoyed with what they're doing with Scarlett. She used to be far more interesting! And yes - she and Gunnar have that publishing deal from last season that's completely separate from her recording deal.

I could also do without Zoe. Yes, she's the voice of reason but...I don't buy her chemistry with Gunnar, I am actually with Scarlett that going behind your best friend's back with her ex is a shitty thing to do, and apart from creating unnecessary tension and unbelievable chemistry with a key character, I don't see her point on the show. There are too many characters, I'd be happy if they drop her and Layla and get back to the core.

18. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I think you're right.

I'm also really annoyed with what they're doing with Scarlett. She used to be far more interesting! And yes - she and Gunnar have that publishing deal from last season that's completely separate from her recording deal.

I could also do without Zoe. Yes, she's the voice of reason but...I don't buy her chemistry with Gunnar, I am actually with Scarlett that going behind your best friend's back with her ex is a shitty thing to do, and apart from creating unnecessary tension and unbelievable chemistry with a key character, I don't see her point on the show. There are too many characters, I'd be happy if they drop her and Layla and get back to the core.

19. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Really -- She can never be in the same room with Gunner again because he hooked up with her best friend, but she can go back to sleeping with the guy who left her for fame and fortune so that she could hook up with Gunner in the first place. Soapy ridiculousness.

20. Wyliefan

Of all the songs Scarlett could have done with ZBB, they went with "Free"? :huh: I don't think it suits her voice at all.

ETA: Oh, sure, Scarlett, insult your boss who has been nothing but wonderful to you when she's trying to comfort you. :rolleyes: Spoiled, self-centered AND stupid -- what a combination.

At least the music in this one has been good, after that first song.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  21. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I'm calling it now - Teddy and Megan, our next couple.

Juliette in the dork disguise was all kinds of adorbs. Prince Avery to the rescue. Was I the only one hoping she'd kick Jeff in the nuts when he was leaning over her chair calling her trash? And :cheer2: to no Layla this week. Hope that becomes a constant thing.

Scarlett - it must suck to be talented, pretty, and have a label deal handed to you. Go cry with the pillow and bear. We won't miss you. And take Zoe with you. Anyone who passively snipes at their bf for standing up a friends meet to write with a freaking superstar needs to leave my screen.

However Scarlett sassing Rayna in the ladies room? :rofl:

Luke is back? Um, okay. Those two have zero chemistry together. I have a shocking announcement - I actually liked Connie's voice tonight when Rayna and Deacon sang in his living room. :shuffle:

22. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

I actually think that Scarlett had a point abut Rayna in the ladies room. Rayna has a hard time leaving Teddy alone as he does her. But they are both in no place to try and have a relationship again. And whenever they do hook up, it usually doesn't end well. Even though I did find Scarlett annoying in this episode as well. I do feel like she kind of redeemed herself in her conversation with Rayna by revealing the pressure was getting to her and that she was having a hard time with her personal life blending into her professional one. It at least explained to me why she has been so annoying in the last few episodes and made me feel some sympathy for her.

The thing I actually like about this show is that the characters are so flawed. Sometimes you want to smack them and sometimes they break your heart. I have to admit when Rayna asked Teddy to write with her , my instinct was "Leave him alone. You know he can't say no to you." But I also get that she can't stay away from him either. I actually love their relationship. They clearly love each other desperately and you want so bad for them to get their s**t together so they can finally be together. But their issues feel real and human and not contrived.

I think both Zoe and Gunnar were being selfish too. I think she had every right to tell him she was feeling neglected, while at the same time he had every right to stay and write that song with a superstar. I don't think her saying this has hurt me is at all wrong. If he is going to have a career and relationship, he needs to attend to both. But I though she was a little out of line getting all pissy at the Scarlett mention, although I get why she would. But honestly, that's why I like it. People have these kind of relationship fights all the time. Neither one felt like they were being heard.

Juliette is really one of my favourite characters. That scene with Oliver Hudson was amazing. And I love that the writers know that deep down inside, Juliette thinks that that way about herself. She is another deliciously complex character. I kind of feel like Avery did a bit of a 180 from last season. But I do like him now. But I wish there was a little more exploration of his change.

The Teddy stuff isn't really grabbing me. It feels like a bit of a different show. Although I get how this conflict is going to cleverly tie up all the characters in the show.

The music was really great this episode and I like the ways sometimes they are combining the guest stars. The Rascall Flatts guy stuff was a bit meh, but I liked including Scarlett in the concert even if the song was not the best choice. For the first time in a while, I liked Rayna's voice. That was a great song.

Not much of a fan of Luke but I don't think you are really supposed to be. He is clearly just a roadblock character. I somehow get the feeling he is going to betray Rayna somehow. Professionally.

23. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I think there's something shady about Luke and I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't really like his and Rayna's relationship either. I think he's going to do something to hurt her professionally and it wouldn't surprise me if he's been in kahoots with Edgehill this whole time. I LOVED that song Rayna and Deacon sang! That was gorgeous and they both sounded amazing. I want more of these two together. :swoon:

24. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I'm tired tired tired of Scarlett too, but hoping that after Rayna's very wise talk with her we can close this chapter and move on. Also, yes she shouldn't have sassed her boss like that, but remember that Deacon is her beloved uncle so she's got a personal relationship with Rayna as well as professional. Mind you, the writers seem to have temporarily forgotten that in favour of Poor Scarlett having no one to talk to. Seriously? Deacon is more qualified that her ex boyfriends and ex best friend to help her through this.

Love Juliette - loved that she refused to stand when Jeff came in, and Hayden's acting just continues to amaze. And I must say Oliver Hudson is doing a great job with his character - for those of you who didn't watch Rules of Engagement, this is a complete turnaround from the dumb character he played for years on that show. Kudoes to him.

But back to Juliette - I was on the edge of my couch while she was downtown thinking someone was going to recognize her, especially when she started to sing, and then when she took the glasses off, and then when she started to walk away from Avery. NOOOOO! Can't wait to see how she's going to get herself back on top.

Disappointed that Rayna and Deacon are working together again, although I loved their scene and loved the song. But if Rayna wants people to take her new sound and new independence seriously, why go back to the old comfort zone (professionally)?

And is it just me or didn't Luke essentially blow her off and end the relationship a few eps ago? Guess this is what happens when different writers work on different eps. Agree with those of you who think he's going to betray her professionally.

Annoyed with Zoey too. Yes, yes you need to express your feelings and all that, but her timing was off. She should have gone to the party and supported her man, and then had a good chat with him the following day about it, and arranged something with her friends at a time that works for both of them. And said friends, when they finally did meet him, sitting there acting like they didn't know he'd just come from a huge party in his honour. :rolleyes: I've liked Zoey up until now, but at this point I'd rather see Gunnar's story focus on the music and not this nonsense.

And please for the love of all things good, wrap up this stupid story with Teddy! Does anyone actually care who shot Peggy? Because I don't, even if it does involve Lamar, a character I don't mind. And who cares that Deacon's girlfriend is involved in the case? The only use she has is just that - Deacon's girlfriend. I can't even recall her name.

I do hope they realize that the best part of this show is the music and the music business and the characters in the music business. The political stuff is just so half assed.

But I do love this show. Some good news and bad news - the ratings aren't stellar, but as I suspected, the show :kickass: in playback, ie it seems a lot of fans (inc me) are recording it to watch later. Of course this doesn't make advertisers happy, and it's all the more reason to keep up the other revenue stream and that's music sales. I'm really hoping that what seems like the obvious solution to me comes to pass - put it in a 9:00 pm timeslot. Just not on Fri or Sun. :)

25. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Is that why they are bringing on these real country singers (uh, I guess they are real, I don't follow country music!!!), and Kelly Clarkson, to interact with the characters? To get country music fans to watch?

I tape everything (Nashville, Castle, Parenthood, Elementary, Mentalist) because I go to bed at 10:00. Then I watch them on the weekends. I'm sorry if that messes with the advertisers' plans. I flip channels during commercials before 10:00 though too.

26. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I'm not sure if all the guest spots are about bringing in new country fans, because I suspect that ratings among country fans are probably pretty high already, no? I thought I read somewhere that it's pretty much required viewing in Nashville, so maybe some of those artists and/or their agents are trying to get them on the show for more exposure with new audiences. Or they just like it and want to be on it :) I'm also wondering how many songwriters or publishing companies are hoping to get their songs on the show - they often get played multiple times, people are downloading them, and they're buying CDs too. I think some are also enjoying radio play as well.

Would be interesting to know how it's all working. I've bought all the CDs (including the set available in the UK only!) plus the first season DVD and I've downloaded a few additional songs too. Doesn't help the advertisers, but it's revenue for the show.

27. Wyliefan

I think it's funny that
    Brad Paisley's going to be on right after they killed off his real-life wife. Is he coming for revenge? :D

28. Wyliefan

:lol: at Layla bolting from the songwriting session. Was she afraid he'd see that her soul was an empty, gaping maw?

Kind of funny to see them playing with Scarlett's "nice girl" image. Are they going to admit that she's not really all that nice anymore?

And I thought my dad was the only person who said "nervous as a long-tailed cat in a roomful of rocking chairs"!

ETA: WHOA, Scarlett's last song was gorgeous.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  29. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

The Scarlett redemption arc has begun. And I'll be downloading Black Roses as soon as it gets released.

JAvery has begun. Pink macaroni magic happened. I cheered when Juliette gave the Opry speech. Hooray for Bucky. He really has had her back forever.

Thinly veiled evil Wal-Mart guy was slime. Surprised Rayna turned down the deal. Guess Maddie's level 4 death stare helped.

Are we supposed to like Luke? I'm confused.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  30. Wyliefan

dbell1 and (deleted member) like this.