Nashville - Season One (Wednesdays, 10pm on ABC)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I still love every second of it :)

2. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I think there were snippets of Juliet onstage. But probably a song we'd already heard before. I know we've seen her doing that knee bouncing dance before. They all sound the same to me.

Still, it's the music that makes this more than just another soap opera.

3. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I've missed a couple of episodes lately and haven't cared. It's just gotten too silly. I read an interview with T-Bone Burnett about how he left because it was a constant war between those who wanted to make a show about music (like his wife) and those who wanted to make a full-blown soap opera. The man has a point.

However, I will have to keep an eye on spoilers and tune back in for when Peggy the Mess finally goes completely off the rails and drags Teddy down with her. She HAS to at some point. It's like Chekhov's gun -- if you introduce a wacko like Peggy in act one, she has to go full-on, no-holds-barred, bunny-boiling batty before you're done. :D

4. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Juliette did Hypnotizing, which we've heard a few times before, notably when she sang acoustic with the stable boys.

They seem to be highlighting three songs per ep - in this case, Juliette, the girls at the wedding and Deacon/Avery rehearsing/at the Blue Bird. On this site - which chronicles the songs in every show, including the background stuff - it says we heard the beginnings of Deacon's song previously when he started to write it.

I'm still enjoying the music very much. Really enjoyed the evolution of Deacon's song as he got more comfortable and Avery's contribution to is, the Stellas had me tearing up, and I've always like Hypnotizing. The guy who replaced T Bone was apparently his #2 last season, and they are still using a diverse group of songwriters. And, Hypnotizing would have be chosen by T Bone last season, along with a few other songs we're still hearing.

5. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

My guess is that now that Peggy has finally gotten Teddy to marry her, she'll have a "sudden" miscarriage and play up the grieving so he can't leave then tell him that they must try again because she NEEDS to have his baby.

6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Not sure if this was mentioned as I don't follow the thread but Kelly Clarkson will have a guest appearance at some point. She was filming scenes this past week.

7. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I'm still watching Nashville and enjoying it very much. I loved the Deacon-Avery comedy hour too (the milk in the coffee scene alone had me rolling with laughter :lol: ) and I also loved Deacon and Rayna coming together for Maddie's sake (and Deacon's song was just wonderful). This show is at it's very best when it shows the real, heartfelt relationships between the people on it and that's a big reason why I keep watching...to see those moments which IMO have been there most of this season. :)

Count me as another one anxious to see Peggy go all crazy psycho! We know it's coming and I'm hoping for a spectacular crash and a ton of drama. :biggrinbo

8. Sally1214

Sally1214 Active Member

Enjoyed this episode right up to the ending. Was the "why aren't you sleeping with me" to Juliette supposed to shock/surprise us? Gay/lesbian storylines are all over TV these days, as they should be. Come on, writers, give us something "original" to make us tune in next week ... not just something that is normal life. Must admit, though, that the previews with Scarlett getting stuff thrown at her on stage piqued my interest. ;)

9. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Scarlett kinda broke my heart at the end. I also haven't enjoyed Rayna for awhile but this episode featured that character at her best.

However, I fail to see why I'm supposed to feel sorry for Juliette and not the wife.

Nashville will never be perfect to me (I currently dislike the current love interests for the two ladies), but I see a lot of things that the show has improved. There is a lot more interactions amongst the cast, which I'm really enjoying.

10. Wyliefan

So Crazy Peggy lost the fake baby at last -- I tuned in just long enough to see that (and Scarlett's song at the end, which I really liked). And forced Teddy to say that he hadn't just married her for the fake baby. Well played, Crazy Peggy, well played. I'm just disappointed we didn't get a little evil smile from her. :D

11. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I loved tonight's episode. :lol:

More music, crazy Peggy reenacts Carrie (with freaking pig's blood?!?!), Rayna and new label guy - priceless! And that CD cover art? :rofl: Not sure if Luke Wheeler and his big hat are nice yet. I have visions of him becoming evil down the road.

Juliette gets some decent scenes too - turning down Olivia, telling off the Wentworths, dropping the iPhone into the glass was made even more funny with Avery's laid back reaction to it. She really needs to stop opening her door.

12. Wyliefan

Pig's blood!? She actually used pig's blood? Oh, Crazy Peggy, don't ever change. :lol:

13. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Yep - was clearly labeled. Where the hell do you even buy that stuff?!? It's probably her secret ingredient for her boiled bunny casserole. :scream:

14. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

That was my thought too - and why would you buy it? Gross, gross, gross.

But onward, as that remains the most uninteresting part of the show for me. LOVED Juliette and Avery's song at the beginning - can't wait for the soundtrack to come out! Also loving their relationship, but heartbroken for Juliette. Did you see her expression (love Hayden!!!) when Avery was talking to Scarlett on the phone? Poor Juliette realized then that Avery wasn't just being nice to her, he's just a nice guy. (and :p to you haterz from last season :lol:)

manhn I don't feel sorry for the wife as it sounds like screwing around is her way too. I don't agree with anyone sleeping with someone who is married and Juliette shouldn't have done it, but in my books she gets a pass now. And yes, dbell Juliette needs to stop opening her door :lol:

I'm also suspicious of Luke, but I think Rayna can handle him. I don't like them together but I can see where Rayna is going with this. LOVED her dealing with Jeff and handling the nasty crowd - I think we saw with this ep why Rayna is the big star she is.

Also loved all the tour bus/backstage/performance stuff in this ep - aside from the characters and music etc I'm really enjoying this insiders look into Nashville's music business. I don't know if it's at all realistic, but it feels like it is, much more so that Wyatt's business dealings and municipal politics (mind you, I live in Toronto, so my view may be a bit off :p)

I still want Tandy to be more than just someone for Rayna to talk to and take care of the kids though.

15. Wyliefan

Certainly he's done a 180, but I reserve my right to loathe first-season Avery. After all, if he did a 180 to nice, that means he was loathsome before. :D

16. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I prefer to think that he was a bad boy with a good heart who got a big reality check and readjusted his priorities :)

17. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Not a douche who reformed when he got his just desserts? ;)

18. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I have an Avery confession. :lol: As one of the haterz, I will happily own to not liking the character most of last season. But, once he burned the masters and gave back the car, he grew on me. Now, I love watching him. BUT - if Teddy did a 180, I'd still think of him as being a slimy slime that slimes. Some characters can be redeemed by a decent actor and a rewrite, others, well, they can save a bus full of orphans and kittens from a burning bridge, and I'll still despise them.

19. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Yeah, yeah, friends should not be going out with your friends' exes, but goodness, Scarlett was a whiner! And BS that Avery never lied to Scarlett. BS!

And how expensive is Rayna's house that she has enough equity to buy herself out of her record contract!?!?!? Is Nashville's real estate market like NYC's?

Gunnar's song with the random lady was really pretty.

20. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

So is it Crazy Peggy getting offed just as slimy Teddy tells her she's his twu luv? Or is it Will face planting a train?

I figured Luke was just a label loving slime ball. LOVED Rayna's face when she realized Luke, Deacon, and Teddy were all gone from her FWB/ex dating circle.

Dear Scarlett - Avery did too lie to you in the past. Many times. And he'll be breaking your heart soon with Juliette. Happy sobbing into that fluffy pillow. :p

21. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I liked Scarlett at the start of last year. I don't like where they've gone with Scarlett, Gunnar, and don't care for Zoe. I wasn't surprised that Juliet has thrown her hat in the ring, putting herself out there is growth for her since I believe she's done all the dumping in the past?

And Scarlett, dear, look at Avery when you talk to him. See that from the look on his face, he's clearly lying by omission right there...

22. Wyliefan

My money's on Crazy Peggy. Darn it. She was the one character I REALLY didn't want killed! About 90 percent of the fun of the show for me lately was finding out what crazy thing she was going to do next.

23. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

(((Beret soaked in pig's blood))))

24. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Geez, Juliette is such a mess. Please tell me she didn't/isn't going to have sex with Avery. Can't she just have a guy friend instead of hopping into bed with every one.

And why is Scarlett so upset. She broke up with Gunnar. Avery lied and cheated on Scarlett and left her in the dust when he was going to be a "big star". And she took him back. She should be more worried that Gunnar is going to hurt her best friend for 20 years.

Did anybody else say "what the hell" out loud when they saw the train coming?

And it's pretty irresponsible of Rayna to mortgage her children's house and gamble on their future. Is she paying Teddy alimony or something since she has been the major breadwinner in the family. She said she had earned millions, hence the house, but what if she doesn't earn more millions this time?

And let me finish by saying - I love Deacon!!!!

25. Wyliefan

The rule seems to be, if two characters on this show stand near each other for more than five minutes, they're eventually going to have sex with each other. Kind of takes the suspense out of things.

26. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I will not miss Peggy if she's the one that dies but I will miss making fun of her. What will we make fun of now?! :(

I freaking adore Deacon even more now than I did when the show first started and I could listen to him sing all day long. He's come a long way this season and he and Rayna still have all sorts of chemistry. That lawyer lady should enjoy Deacon while she can because he's not staying with her forever. ;)

I actually rather like Avery and Juliette together and wouldn't mind seeing Scarlet take a break from relationships right now. She can barely handle just her career at this point so maybe she needs to be alone for a while and work out those issues before she can have any sort of healthy relationship with someone. I actually felt really bad for Juliette in this entire episode and wanted her to smack Layla to kingdom come. Hopefully that smackdown is coming in the new year. ;)

I feel bad for Will and the internal struggles he's been going through and I'm hoping he gets saved from the train somehow so he can get some help to sort through all those issues. :(

27. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

28. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

[/QUOTE]Woah hang on...it's not her children's house! It's her house, and she can do what she wants with it. If she were to lose it it wouldn't mean the kids would be homeless because Teddy has one. It's her future, and yes it's risky and impacts the kids, but they aren't going to end up destitute. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know, really. If everything goes bust, Rayna and the kids can go live with Deacon. ha ha It just seemed kind of impulsive with all the other drama going on. "Sorry, girls, I'm mortgaging our zillion dollar house just so I can get my way". (And I love Rayna................)

So does anyone else think she should sign Deacon to her label, and do duets with him, and drive Teddy crazy, and make back that zillion dollars? Too soon?

29. Wyliefan

And with that I just had a flashback to a time when this show actually had believable storylines and characters that acted recognizably human, and Teddy was a halfway decent person (not all the way decent, because of the embezzling, but halfway decent). Made me sad to think of how all that's gone down the crapper. :(

30. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I know :( Networks are a necessary evil, it would seem. You need them for your show to air, but then they get a lot of creative control. This isn't what the creator set out to do with the show, which is why her husband has now quit. The first 3 episodes were amazing!