Narumi Takahashi out of GP series

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by MINAM, Oct 25, 2012.

1. MINAM

MINAM The "NICE" Admin Staff Member

http://mainichi.jp/sports/news/20121025k0000e050147000c.html (Article in Japanese)

JSF announced that Narumi Takahashi will pull out from the GP series (Cup of China and NHK Trophy) due to injury. Takahashi dislocated her left shoulder in April, during practice. She lost balance when doing a lift with partner, Mervin Tran.
    The injury failed to improve, so Takahashi returned to Japan from Canada and was told she needs surgery. It would take around 3 months to fully recover.
    Whether she will compete at Japan Nationals depends on the progress.

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

That's terrible.

If the injury takes three months to fully recover after surgery, I don't see how they could skate at Japan Nationals.

3. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

So sad for Narumi and Marvin. Hope she'll recover fully and compete at Worlds.

4. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

5. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Sad news. I hope she recovers quickly and fully.

6. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

:( Really sad. Let´s hope she will be fine soon. They really seemed to practice their lifts very much, as I saw in Worlds in Nice, so this is not wonder, but very sad.

7. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Oh my God:( That's just awful! How much disappointed Narumi must be:( They must have thought she could recover easy, and things didn't work out they hoped it to be. I just wish they had gone to the (professional) doctor sooner.

My sincere wish for her speedy recovery!

8. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

I certainly hate this has happened. Sending my thoughts and prayers to Narumi for a complete recovery. :(

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Best wishes to Narumi on a full recovery and to Mervin for hanging in there. He tweeted this morning:

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

That's terrible news. They are a beautiful, unique, interesting team and it's a huge loss for skating. :(

It will be hard to return from a surgery and they might not be able to compete at all this season. Well Worlds maybe.

Fortunately, they are still young, as Mervin said. I really hope they can get the jumps consistent because nobody can match them on the PCS atm, IMO. :)

11. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I've got to totally agree w/Ziggy on this one. As horrible as it is to say and think, I also think this Season is a write off for them. :(

They finally get that big breakthrough and WHAM!! This happens. :(

I'll miss seeing them out there, but here's to everything going well w/Narumi's surgery and rehab so we can see them back out on the ice at some point in the future.

12. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

So unfortunate for Mervin and Narumi. I will miss seeing them on the GP circuit. Hopefully, they can take this misfortune in stride and perhaps turn lemons into lemonade. Use the time away wisely and purposefully rather than harboring negative thoughts. I like Mervin's parting declaration: "We'll be back!" :) Heal well and strong, Narumi! :saint:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  13. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

14. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Sad to hear, they'll be missed on the GP. :( Here's hoping she can recover for the later half of the season at least, though it may have to be written off regardless due to lack of practice.

15. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Tran tweeted:
    What to do when you get smack with an unexpected off-season. Stock up on supplements, hit the gym... Hit it hard.​

16. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

really sorry to hear this :( I hope the surgery is successful and Narumi has a quick recovery

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Good attitude. :)

And work on your solo elements as well. ;)

18. rayhaneh

rayhaneh Active Member

I completely and totally second all of the above

I was so looking forward seeing them at the GPs - they really had developed, even so early in their career, a style that is their own, and I was looking forward to see what progress they would have done this year :(

Part of me hopes that they'll make it at the worlds, but maybe it will be actually better for her to take plenty of rest and then build towards Sochi without worrying too much about competition this season....

19. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Aren't they ineliglbe for the Olympics since Tran is Canadian and Takahashi is Japanese?

20. fsfan22

fsfan22 Member

Appears to be the case ... extremely unlikely that they'll ever be eligible for Olympic competition since Mervin would have to be a naturalized citizen for 5 years and give up his Canadian citizenship in the process. I don't see the Japanese government making an exception.

21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

A few hours ago Lynn Rutherford tweeted:

Spoke to R. Gauthier -- Unfortunately N. Takahashi will be off ice 4-6 months. Article to come on @icenetwork​

Four months would be end of February, six end of April. It's unlikely they'll have an GP SB for this season, unless they're ready for WTT, but next year, they can get an NHK host pick, and if they win a Fall Senior B, they can be on the alternates list for a second.

Next year is the Olympic qualifier -- I've heard Nebelhorn mentioned but am not sure if it was confirmed by the ISU. That will likely be the toughest Pairs field, with so much at stake.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  22. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

23. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Do the Olympics matter anyway; has he even begun the steps to get citizenship in Japan? Yuko Kavaguti won the Cup of Russia six months after her shoulder surgery so hopefully Takahashi can heel just a quickly and make it to Worlds. Too bad they didn't do surgery sooner; it sounded like a bad fall. They are so young they still have a great future in skating.

24. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

It has been. Check the calendar on the ISU site. It's listed there.

25. sequinsgalore

sequinsgalore Member

With Takahashi/Tran out, will Japan be able to qualify for the World Team Trophy to be held 11-14th of April in Tokyo, Japan? That would really hurt the competition...

26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I liked this quote from the article:

27. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Awful news. Any serious injury to any athlete is awful, but particularly for a young team trying to move up this is just terrible.

28. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yes! It shows that Gauthier really cares about his skaters. I wish that Moskvina had the same attitude towards Kawaguchi whose arm is probably going to fall off eventually. :scream:

29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

:respec: for Gauthier.

:eek: That's where I saw it, while searching the ISU events db on "Nebelhorn" to find protocols to see if skaters made their TES minimums.

30. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Yes and big time YES on Moskvina and the way she mishandled Yuko's injury. IMO, Yuko came back too soon after her surgery and IIRC, hasn't she reinjured it in the last year or so?

Good to know that Gauthier's got his priorities straight and the right perspective of just where Skating fits in the long term of his students lives when something like this happens.