NaNoWriMo

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Angelskates, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Whheeeeeeeeeeeeee! :cheer2: It's that time again folks...well, almost! National Novel Writing Month begins again in November...start catching up with people now, stock up on coffee and buy some comfie PJs, because come November, life changes. NaNoWriMo is your chance to finally write the novel you've always dreamed of writing.

I'm up for the pain and suffering yet again. My username remains the same (Angelskates). Who else is in?

2. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Me! I'm Gymfan15 over there. I can start a Writing Group thread for FSUers like I did last year, if that would be appreciated. :)

This year I'm doing a sequel to my first novel, which is about a gymnast. Should be perfectly time just coming off of Worlds, methinks.

3. backspin

backspin Active Member

I'm actually considering it, though I don't really have a clue what I'm getting myself into!! The concept intrigued me, & then last week an idea popped into my head--though of course I don't have a plot or anything.....anyone else in? I need someone to push me over the edge!

4. mkats

mkats New Member

After much thinking over the last couple of months, I decided that I won't be doing it this year :( On the other hand, I've decided to use this month to start making a serious go of getting last year's novel published. I'm still in the process of writing and refining the query letter but am a little :yikes: of sending it to any agents yet... any advice out there? I know there are some writers here who have gotten published so I'd really appreciate your insight :)

5. Blue Bead

Blue Bead New Member

Count me on NaNoWriMo, too. This will be my 6th year participating! I'm tackling a story involving trafficking, prostitution, kidnapping, and organized crime; part of the story is set in Russia, Canada, and the US.

Regarding finding an agent, it is prudent for a first-time author to find an agent who specializes in unpublished writers, not all of them do that. One place to try is here: http://www.author-network.com/agents.html

Good luck, everybody!

6. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Wheee! I have no gallbladder or appendix or other such devices to impede my writing this year, so this will be the time I make it past 20 pages. Unless my spleen decides to give me trouble.

I am also Matryeshka on NaNoWriMo.

7. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Mkats, I have an agent who handles both fiction and nonfiction. She runs a blog here that's full of great advice for writers. She also has a blogroll with links to more agent blogs. I've found it all very helpful. You might find an agent among this crowd, or you might decide that you don't care for any of them and want to find someone else, but either way you'll get a lot of useful tips on the whole process, especially if you click on their "query" tags.

I find that many of these agents tend to take a no-nonsense, tough-love tone. So be prepared. :D

8. Angelskates

:cheer2: Matry! :cheer2: Blue Bead! :cheer2: backspin!

Good luck mkats!

Wyliefan, are you in?

Why, oh why is GP during November?!

9. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I wish I were, Angelskates, but I just can't manage it. Best wishes to all you intrepid participants! :cheer2:

10. alhrayth

alhrayth Well-Known Member

I tried last year but I just couldn't keep up; I am toying with the idea of trying again, as I have some sort of story planned that I'd like to write, but I can't make up my mind yet. Mainly, last year I was writing in English, and I think it added too much to my plate and that stopped me mid-track, so I'm thinking of writing in Italian this year...

11. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

I'm attempting for the upteenth time. I'm not sure why I keep doing this-- I've yet to get past 20K. :shuffle: I have, however, met a lot of awesome people at the local Nano meetups over the years, so I highly recommend attending one if you can. :)

I'm trying something new this year, story-wise. I always try to come up with a story that I'm not all that attached to because it means I don't let my imagination out much. This year I'm writing a story I've had in mind for awhile. I'm also sort of cheating: the city it's taking place in is a fictional one I'm familiar enough with, as it's from a video game. :p I figure it's an easy way to get over the setting skips I sometimes hit when writing.

12. Angelskates

:cheer2: more people. I'm sort of cheating this year too, Andora, as mine is based on a true story (my life).

13. mkats

mkats New Member

Whee! Thank you! I was hoping you'd respond as I remembered you posting a link to the queryshark blog earlier. That blog had me alternating between :eek: and :lol: and :yikes: and :wall: ... here's hoping mine falls into none of the above!

Blue Bead - thanks for the link! I'll be sure to check it out :)

14. backspin

backspin Active Member

Is anyone else having trouble getting on the site? I'm guessing maybe the server is getting overloaded as we approach liftoff....it's like Worlds Ladies championship, but with novels instead! lolol

Oh, forgot to add--I'm iceartist over there.

15. Angelskates

No problems for me. I really want my t-shirts before it all begins...:shuffle: I'm going to my favourite cafe on Saturday and Sunday to re-organise things before the big day. Bummer it starts on a Monday - it's better to start mid to late week so at least I could get some work done in week 1!

16. Spareoom

The site is working fine for me, but I heard they were doing maintenance earlier today so maybe that's what you ran into, backspin?

Whatever slownss they have now is NOTHING compared to what they had the first year I did it, '08. It was nuts...for Oct. 31st and the next three days, it would literally take 15 minutes to load one page. Last year was SO much better; apparently they upgraded their servers and there was hardly any slowness at all. I'm hoping for/expecting the same this time.

17. Angelskates

What do/did you guys use the site for? I uploaded for word count and that's about it. I only check FSU as far as daily forums and one distraction is enough there!

18. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

The first couple times I did Nano in 2003 and 2004, I used the site for chatting a bit, but mostly to see where the writing meetups were.

19. backspin

backspin Active Member

Me too--I'm going to my first meeting tonight (if I feel good enough; I have a cold). Then Monday there's a write-in right where I'll be teaching, so I'm going to go. I'll be about 1/2 hour late, but I don't think that should matter. Partly I'm doing this to get outside my own little box of a world, so I want to go to as many meetings as I can & hopefully meet some new people!

20. Blue Bead

Blue Bead New Member

I check the site a couple of times per day, looking for write-ins and checking on threads I've started in the Reference section. Plus, I discovered quite a few subjects related to the story I'm developing which gives me other avenues to research and, perhaps, flesh out more of my plot. Some of the topics that get posted are totally crazy but that's half the fun of NaNo. :p

21. Marlowe

Marlowe Well-Known Member

I'm considering it. Never did it before. Better decide soon, right?

22. Marlowe

From my husband, who decided to go the eBook route and self publish. Most of these links focus on electronic publishing. (the last link, Jascha Writes, is my husband's blog)

http://www.amazon.com/Still-Submitting-Traditional-Publisher-ebook/dp/B001O9BERY/

http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/
    http://www.amazon.com/Newbies-Publishing-Everything-Writer-ebook/dp/B003I6496Y

http://jaschawrites.blogspot.com

23. Spareoom

Well, I got my working novel cover finished...now I finally feel like I can start NaNo!

[​IMG]

It's far from what the finished product will be, but that should get me through the next month. What do you think? :)

24. backspin

backspin Active Member

I'm planning to use the "adopt a plot/character trait/etc" section pretty heavily too. I think it's brilliant that they have that!! Too fun.

25. backspin

backspin Active Member

Very nice! You can see mine on my bio page:
    http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/690279

26. Marlowe

AWESOME!

27. Angelskates

It all starts tomorrow folks. Stock up on your coffee today!

28. mkats

mkats New Member

I spent three hours at the library today, finishing up with drafting/revising part II of my 2008/2009 NaNoWriMo. The bad news - I haven't done part I yet :lol: My goal is to have some query letters out by the end of November, that'll be my participation this year.

29. backspin

backspin Active Member

Can't wait! I'm going to stay up until midnight & do a little writing just to get started.

30. Angelskates

I started at midnight and have almost half my daily word count done. Hate my story already :p

Matryeshka and (deleted member) like this.