Nanowrimo 2012

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Angelskates, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Who's in?

I'm in again this year - actually considering going old school and writing by hand. Just considering it. I'm doing my planning by hand anyway...

If you're in - add me. My Nano username is also Angelskates. I'm writing a chick-lit romance sort of thing year. Or at least, that's the plan!

Here's the website.

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  2. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Pretty sure I'm going to do it again -- I really had fun with that last year. My story will just be a sequel to what I wrote last year, but I already have a few ideas perking around for what I'm going to do with it.

And wow, writing it all by hand? I'm impressed! If I tried to do that, I'd never be able to read it -- my handwriting has become just horrible since I started using computers all the time. :lol:

3. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

I am a failure with the great novel - I seem to get as far as a short story and I'm done. :D I will think on it - if I jump in, I'll look for you!

4. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I'm going to do it. I've been listening to my 90 year old aunt's stories about my great grandmother and great aunt supporting a family in the late 19th and early 20th century. I looked up their contemporaries: Lizzie Borden, Louisa MayAlcott, the first known serial killer, Debussy, Jackson Haines, Frederick Douglass, the Pinkerton Agency, WW1, the Civil War, the first auto, the Titanic, and more. They can have lots of adventures.

I like the idea of making it an adventure serial.

Oh and I forgot Hetty Green who made a fortune in the stock market. No governessing around for my heroines.

5. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

I'm considering trying again this year. Hey, maybe this time I'll be successful!

6. Bunny Hop

Bunny Hop Perpetually learning Dutch Waltz

Much as I want to, I think realistically I'm out this year. Too much else going on - busy at work and outside commitments as well. So I think I might try and finish the novel I started last year instead of starting something new I know there's no real chance of finishing.

I will be cheering on everyone else though.

7. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Actually, that's perfectly acceptable Bunny Hop. In my group, lots of people do that. Course, my group is in New Orleans, and mostly, we just drink, cause that's what writers do.

I'm going to write a book about a publishing flack who deals with crazy, entitled divas all day (and that's just the men's children's authors), and is maybe a little crazy herself. It's original and has nothing to do with my life whatsoever. :shuffle:

8. Angelskates

Plenty of people like you just try and write every day. Some have daily gaols, maybe you could try that?

;) Good to see you posting!

9. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

The last place you want to be when you're trying to write to a goal is in a gaol.

;):lol:

I am determined to win this year. I had a wonderful plot last year that I should have got 50,000 out of easily but unexpected uni workload got in the way. This year there are no factors like that.

Not sharing my plot because it's pretty dumb, but it's drama/sport/romance.

10. Angelskates

Nothing else to do there! :p

11. aliceanne

You mean you can win something? I didn't see that. I would consider myself lucky to reach the 50K mark by the deadline. I doubt it would be well-edited enough to win any prizes.

12. Angelskates

You win the sense of accomplishment and bragging rights. ;) "Winning" is making it to 50,000 words or more by the last day of November.

13. Angelskates

So, not long now - how has everyone's prep gone?

14. Blue Bead

Blue Bead New Member

I'm in, too, this year although I didn't participate last year.

15. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I already started writing something. 3000 words in. I think I may actually participate this year and have a shot at finishing something :)

16. misskarne

I'm bouncing in the starting barrier and headbutting it.

17. CynicElle

Prep? :shuffle:

Actually, I didn't prepare last year either -- I decided to do Nanowrimo about two days before November 1 -- and it worked out OK. I've got some ideas for the story and I really need to do something that is not "fretting about the upcoming election 24/7", so I'm optimistic.

18. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

My best friend just roped me in (and I'll never have a better time to give it a try), but I have no current plot idea at all. :yikes: I hope it can still work out.

19. aliceanne

I did some background reading. I'm going to start tonight. I got caught up on all my chores for the week while I was Sandy-bound these past 2 days. I have no idea whether I will succeed or not, but I figure ignorance is bliss. ;). I'm trying to get my niece to join me. She has had some special feature articles published in the Pittsburgh paper, but she is skeptical.

20. misskarne

Only just over 12 hours until I can finally start writing this blasted plot that I've had bouncing around for two months and been dying to write!

I'm so gonna win this time!

21. Angelskates

:cheer2: More crazies :cheer2: Don't forget to add me, I need something to waste the time I should be using to add adjectives and adverbs to create long and flowery sentences. :p

22. misskarne

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Only four and a quarter hours to go until NaNo 2012 starts! Good luck everyone!

I plan on sitting up until midnight and then trying to lay down a couple thousand words of intro in an hour or so before I lose it completely and go to sleep.

23. Angelskates

Me, too!

24. misskarne

TWO MINUTES TO GOOOOOOOOOOO!

*fingers hover over keyboard*

25. misskarne

Phew. 1982 words in 45 minutes.

May I keep this up for the rest of November!

26. misskarne

2471 in an hour and I'm going to bed. Goodnight, and good luck, fellow Wrimos! :cheer:

27. misskarne

How'd everyone do on day 1? It's just after 11pm, I'm at 8011 words and throwing in the towel for the night and hoping that's enough to get me through tomorrow and the weekend when I may well be too buggered to write much.

28. CynicElle

That's awesome!

Just finished my first 2000 words. Thinking about starting the story is always much more daunting than just taking a deep breath and digging in.

29. aliceanne

I wrote 8 typed pages. I figure I will need to average 6 a day to make 175 by Nov. 30. I didn't do a word count check. I don't find that motivating. I am finding just doing it easier than creating plot outlines or organizing chapters.

30. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I signed up but it's 7:30 pm and I'm still at work. Maybe I could just copy and paste in the code I am writing... :lol: