Nanowrimo 2011

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Angelskates, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Don't forget to stock up on coffee this weekend folks!

:coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

2. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

I've been outlining and plotting, and I'm all set to start writing.
    Should I post what I write here so you can all abuse me if I slack off?
    Opinions, please. My novel is a satire of The Hunger Games and is set in Canada. :eek:

3. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

OMG, are they going to play Curling to the death? That would be FABULOUS.

I can see it now: in a post-apocalyptic world, after the great Quebecois invasion, everyone is forced to listen to Celine Dion. They must all talk in funny French accents. Everyone has arms that are cut beyond belief. Each year, the provinces--now called provinces--gather for the Great Curling Games, where the contestants must battle the elements, moose, Russian judges and the winner gets free pears from Harry & David for an entire year. Oh, and the winner gets to kill everyone else by falling on them while attempting a triple axel.

I would go to the write in. It might take you a while to find the right one--I had words with some fellow NaNoers who took fantasy/sci-fi just a little too seriously. But I found a great group and am looking forward to seeing them again!

4. Angelskates

Marge, my plan is to post words counts here each day.

Woohoo!! It starts tomorrow!! :cheer2:

5. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Good luck to everyone!!

6. Angelskates

Two hours to go and I am quickly losing patience! I only got one trick or treater to keep me entertained tonight, and he was just wearing a lame mask that covered his eyes!!

I think I start before everyone here, so I'm hoping the next post will actually be a word count!

Good luck everyone!

7. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I don't do NaNo (50,000 isn't a novel anyway, just a novella and borderline-unsalable outside YA which sometimes does short) but by coincidence I have a Fleming-style fan fic that needs finishing and two short stories with submissions closing in December and January that all need to be done...50,000 words in general is a good goal.

PrincessLepard--isn't there a screenplay-writing month thing? And what's that book? I have though about writing scripts, but don't really know the mechanics.

8. backspin

backspin Active Member

I did it last year & it was an amazing experience. I won, barely!

The book I wrote is in 2 parts, & I finished the first part. I have only barely begun part 2, and this would be a great time to dive into it.....but not sure I have the time/energy this year, given other projects in the works.

Regardless, best of luck to all of you wrimos out there!!!! It's a total blast!!!!

9. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

The book is called something amazingly original like "How to Write a Screenplay in 30 Days."

10. Marge_Simpson

Great minds think alike, eh?
    I'm not sure about the curling, as I don't know enough about it to spoof it up.
    I plan to feature TimBits and poutine, however. :lol:
    You know, after the US economy tanked, it got so bad here that Americans were trying to sneak across the border to Mexico and sail rafts to Cuba. Canada let those who were left come up north, but those who were too stubborn to assimilate and drink pop instead of soda had to be punished. Hence..........the Hungry Games.
    Should I post this demented novel here or not?

11. Marge_Simpson

I just skimmed this at first and thought you said "winos"

12. Bunny Hop

Bunny Hop Perpetually learning Dutch Waltz

Just scraped through the day one word count by virtue of just spitting out the beginnings of all the various scenes I had in mind. So no plot yet, and what's there is very disjointed and make no sense as there's no real narrative.

Maybe my personal goal should be to make it make some sense by the end of the month...

13. Angelskates

I finished the day yesterday on 1,715. It was all over the place, but it was there!

Day two!

14. Katoomba

Katoomba Member

I'm doing NaNoWriMo too! At least, I'm starting it. 1950 words. All utter crap, and with no real direction or plot. It's my first time, so I'll look to the rest of you for reassurance that if I keep at it, maybe at some point something will gel together into a semi-coherent story. At least it will get me to write on a more regular basis.

15. Angelskates

:cheer2: welcome to the crazy gang!

It is great to get back into the habit of writing. I am also going to try http://creativeeveryday.com/ (http://creativeeveryday.com/art-every-day-month) but in a different month, since NaNo and AEDM can not be done together!

16. Bunny Hop

Last year my story didn't end up with a proper plot until about half way through, and it still doesn't have an ending. I wouldn't worry about it. The point, as you say, is to get writing, so it doesn't really matter if it isn't that coherent - revising is for December.

I've written about 2,200 words. After just doing the 'write anything even if it's rubbish' thing on day one, I was able to go back to the beginning on day 2 and start setting the story up properly.

Conversation with my husband last night:
    Husband: "Are you editing [thing I'm meant to be doing]?"
    Me: "No, I'm NaNo-ing."
    Husband: "Oh. Okay. I'll see you in December then."
    :lol: Smart man!

Poggi and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Marge_Simpson

Please advise: should I post my demented novel here or not? :lol:

18. Angelskates

Marge, I think post a link to your Nano page, or tell us your username, and we'll look for it there :) Well, I will. Anything to procrastinate my own novel :p

19. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

I've finally, sorta figured out what I'm going to write! :cheer2: Since I seem to be so obsessed with Downton Abbey lately, it's going to be a Downton Abbey fanfic. So here goes nothing!

Lanna and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Bunny Hop

Can someone please tell me to stop reading FSU and go back to working on NaNo? Thanks.

21. Angelskates

Bunnyhope - Stop reading FSU and go back to working on NaNo!!!

I'm at 7,862 words and wanted to be over 10,000 by the end of the weekend.

22. Bunny Hop

Thank you!

I'm still at just over 5,000 words, so well behind, but I've done more than I feared I might. Unfortunately I have other things to do over the weekend, so may not get a lot done on the story.

23. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

I hit 10K words today! :cheer2:

I'm hoping so much I can keep this up. :drama: I've never won NaNo, but so far so good.

Sorry, GP. I've got word count mountain to climb. ;)

24. Angelskates

:cheer2: :cheer2:

Me too. I'm still going (it's Sunday afternoon, 1 p.m.)

25. Angelskates

13,782 words, four coffees and four gin and tonics tonight and I'm done for the night. I made the mistake of leaving to go downstairs and my cat Snuggles walked across the keyboard - he added 87 words! They count, right?! :p

Poggi and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Bunny Hop

As expected, I'm way behind, but am trying to get a lot of other stuff done during the course of this week so I can spend all weekend on NaNo.

I'm starting to jump around a bit in my writing, which is actually a good sign for me, as it means I'm at least starting to feel inspired by the story, and wanting to get the ideas down on 'paper' ('down on screen' doesn't sound right!). Last year, when I actually made the word count, nothing was written in order. My problem is going back and filling in all the blanks.

Of course I still have no idea 'whodunnit', which is kind of bad for a murder mystery...

27. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

So now that I've actually stuck with this for a whole week, I'm going to fess up that I've been NaNoing too. It's my first time trying it. I've had an idea for a book (and possibly a series) floating around in my head for years, and figured that if I can get a "zero draft" of the first one down, I'll have an actual manuscript to work with rather than random ideas that never leave my head. It still might never amount to anything, but it's a start.

Last night was a rough one and I didn't quite hit 1667 words, but because I've been overshooting the 1667 on almost every other day, I'm still well on target for 50,000 words by the end of the month.

28. Bunny Hop

Well done, that's how I made 50,000 words last year. I got a head start at the beginning of the month, and that helped carry me through the hard slog mid-month.

29. Angelskates

I've topped 20,000 after I woke up in the middle of the night (well, 2 a.m.) with an idea! :cheer2: Yay me!!

30. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

How goes it, everyone? I'm at 21,890 -- I like that I have a day's cushion, though I'm hoping I won't need to use it. Been a little harder lately to get the words out, but I've been trying to force myself to slog through the parts of the story where I didn't exactly plan out what was going to happen.