Nanowrimo 2011

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Angelskates, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

So, we're more than a month a way from this year's Nanowrimo, but now it the time to start reorganising your life so you'll have time to write in November. It's also the time to start planning your novel :cheer2:

Who's in?

2. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Whoa, and I thought I was the crazy one who started going all out on October 1st. ;)

I haven't done much for my NaNo this year except idly think about it. It's the final book to a trilogy I am writing (unintentional, but last year's sequel got WAY too big to fit into one book, hence the split). I already know the basic plot line, but there are a loooooooooot of little details that I'm going to have to iron out between now and November. Eeek.

3. Angelskates

Spareoom, I've got two fabulous characters (so far only in my head!!) but that's it - no actual plot or anything else. :lol:

4. Bunny Hop

Bunny Hop Accept no substitutes

I'm in. I doubt I'll finish this year because I have other commitments in November, but I'm still keen to try. I'm going to use the story idea I was originally going to use last year, but abandoned when I dreamed up a better one (literally!). The problem is that I have lots of scenes in mind, but there's no proper plot tying them together. Still, got to start somewhere.

5. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Maybe this is the impetus I need to finish my murder mystery. I started it a few years ago. The lady I had worked for for ten years, a real witch but friendly to me nevertheless, fired me because when her husband died, I filled in for her. She accused me of trying to take over her job. Right. It about killed me because I loved the museum where I had given my all for a decade! Not to mention that I had done nothing to even remotely suggest I was trying to "take over."

SOOOOOOOOOOO.....I went on unemployment for the summer, sat back and enjoyed life, and wrote a murder mystery about a suburban art museum outside Atlanta that had a witch of a Director. I killed her off! In fact, I killed off quite a few people who truly needed killing off.

I don't know how good the book is, but it was great therapy. I got through a second draft and some friends tell me they love it. Maybe I should start over and approach it from a literary POV as opposed to pure revenge....:lol:

Poggi and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Angelskates

That sounds great Holley!

7. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

That sounds great Holley! I'd read it. :D

8. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Why change it? If it sounds good, I say don't worry about it.

9. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Eh, I've been thinking about it. I don't want to actually post my school's calendar, but suffice it to say that the last week of December is the last week of classes before exams. So I'm not sure if I'm going to have the time to devote to it this year-otherwise, though, I totally want to go for it! I've had some really interesting ideas (and I still want to do something with some of my rejected ideas from last year!), so I hope I can work it in!

Holley-go for it! That's such an awesome premise-and trust me when I say that many of my plot ideas involve personal experience/major expression of personal opinions of real people via my characters.

10. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Whee! I can't wait for the kickoff events. I have ideas in my head, but nothing definite. I have a whole month to pretend to think about what I'm going to write. :lol:

11. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

A totally demented idea popped into my head earlier, I am in for a satirical comedy.
    Furthermore, I will post what I write here, and you can all hold me accountable for finishing. (and hopefully get a laugh as well)

Poggi and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Bunny Hop

I should probably start trying to work out how my proposed story is going to end. As it's going to be a murder mystery, this is somewhat essential...

13. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Every year I say I'm going to do this, and then some giant crap falls from above and I get like 1000 words written. At this rate, I'll be done with my novel when I'm 117.

14. Marge_Simpson

Me, too. I start off with good intentions, but I never make it to 50,000 words.
    That's why I'm going to post here, so everyone can abuse me if I slack off.

15. Blue Bead

Blue Bead New Member

I'm in for this year again, too, although I'm still not quite sure in what genre my 2011 novel will fit, but I run into that problem every year. Basically, it's about woman in her late 50's who survives a tornado and, when she emerges from her underground storm shelter, finds herself totally alone in the world. Her neighbors have all disappeared. However their homes, pets, and the structural world they lived in all remains. She's trying to survive and figure out what happened to all of them. She thinks she's gonna be okay until the fateful day when she discovers she's not alone and has to find out whether this unknown individual is friend or foe.

16. Marge_Simpson

17. PrincessLeppard

I had a similar book for burping out a screenplay in 28 days. It really does work if you follow the steps. Of course, I was an underemployed college grad when I did that.....

18. Matryeshka

I have no idea what I want to write about. I have a few ideas, but none of them are particularly original. :blah:

19. PrincessLeppard

Radioactive penguins take over Wall Street. Hilarity ensues!

20. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

The penguin who lived. Scared as a chick when he was attacked by an evil leopard seal who's name cannot be mentioned by other lesser penguins.

21. Angelskates

The penguin who spent his life on the run after accidentally offending a Princess in a Pink Tutu and Sparkly Heels, and being threatened with banana car squashing :( They end up friends, of course, and stalking men who like to wear make up guyliner.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  22. Matryeshka

Guyliner :swoon:

23. Angelskates

Duly corrected. ;)

24. Poggi

Poggi wannabe flower-girl

Oh, the FSU-NaNo thread is back! :cheer2:

I'm also back, and I guess this will be the year when I write my skating novel I've been toying with for a few years now.

It's gonna be a busy fall for me: being a NaNo ML for my whole country, going to college (well, not actually going as I'm a distance-learner) exams in the first two weeks of December, I also take a translation course, but that's a wee 10 hours every week, and I have a novel to translate until the end of the year, and of course the GP season is about to start… so really, writing a 50.000 word novel on top of all that is just a piece of cake :)

25. Marge_Simpson

Has anyone ever gone to one of the NaNo write-ins? I've never tried this, but when I was looking at their website earlier, I found out there are quite a few of them scheduled for NYC.
    Is it worthwhile to attend? Does it get your creative juices flowing? Do people socialize at these things, or does everyone just keep quiet and type and/or scribble?
    I am a scribbler, btw. I cannot do anything creative at all if I'm typing - I have to write it out in longhand first.

26. Poggi

It depends on the group and you of course. We once got thrown out of a library (ouch) we were so loud :) But other times we were quite civilised.

Some can get really productive, and the sound of other people typing and scribbling away around you can really make you want to write *anything* immediately, just to not feel left out.

I on the other hand can't write with people around me, but sadly, being ML I can't really opt out of getting to the events.

You definitely check out though at least one - it's always fun to meet wrimos in your region.

27. Marge_Simpson

What the hell. I'll try anything once. :)

28. Angelskates

:cheer2:

ETA: I've updated my profile, bought some goodies and have a halo. Beijing doesn't seem that active for write-ins yet, but hopefully that will pick up.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  29. Bunny Hop

I've entered a synopsis on my profile. Pity I haven't done anything further by way of planning.

But then my Nano novel from last year still doesn't have an ending, so I guess it doesn't matter that much!

30. Poggi

I hope you know, that you don't even have to type anything afterwards, if you don't want to. You can always invoke the Luddite Clause.