Nan Song Announces Retirement

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Sorry to read this. I remember when he won the World Universiade in 2014. Best wishes in his new endeavors! Still young at 25...world is ahead of him. :respec:

Marco

Huh. Why? Too bad, I enjoyed his skating.

I presume he held on as long as he did hoping Yan Han and Jin Boyang could perhaps take home a 3rd spot, and now that it didn't happen, it's hard to wait 1 more year to see if they can do it and then wait another year for one last go at the Olympics/ Worlds.

skateboy

I presume he held on as long as he did hoping Yan Han and Jin Boyang could perhaps take home a 3rd spot, and now that it didn't happen, it's hard to wait 1 more year to see if they can do it and then wait another year for one last go at the Olympics/ Worlds.
That's my take on it, too. He did put out some good performances, I'll miss him.

Seerek

2 Grand Prix medals, a World Junior medal and Four Continents medal are pretty good accomplishments.
Song was able to resurrect the Chinese men's program somewhat after Jialiang Wu did not qualify for the 2010 Olympics.

I think the turning point in Song's career was missing top 10 at 2013 Worlds (which was doable given it wasn't a particularly well skated event), which effectively ended his hopes of making the Sochi Olympics.

Side note: sad to think how many of the "Class of 2010" Junior Worlds are already retired - Song, Gachinski, Mahbanoozadeh, Lam.

Last edited:

Marco

I think the turning point in Song's career was missing top 10 at 2013 Worlds (which was doable given it wasn't a particularly well skated event), which effectively ended his hopes of making the Sochi Olympics.

I had thought Song Nan was the default choice for Sochi. He had been to Worlds multiple times and was the Fed's only hope for years. Pecking order, etc. I mean, Yan Han medaled at 2013 4CCs and finished way ahead of him and the Fed still sent him to Worlds that season. Thank god Yan Han won Cup of China and made GPF in 2013/14. That's what sealed it.

Interestingly (or not), he has been in Yan Han's shadows ever since Yan Han broke out - almost like Yan Han is now starting to be in Jin Boyang's shadows...

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Holy Crap? ALREADY????

But he wasnt on the senior scene all that long, was he?

I really LOVED his skating..

aftershocks

Banned Member
Isn't he quite young?

Boyang Jin is younger and has quad-lutz/triple combo and World bronze medal. Plus Han Yan has quads and more well-rounded skating, despite lacking consistency. Nan Song is a good-looking skater with quads who had some good achievements but he needed to improve his all-around skating. With Han not qualifying for fp at Worlds, there won't be three spots available for Chinese men as there might have been had Han Yan placed as well as he could have with his talent.

Nan Song should feel proud of his achievements as as skater nonetheless. Wishing him well in his future endeavors.

SamuraiK

Im very sad :( I agree witth the reasons given for his decision. He was just surpassed (and by a lot) but was still hoping CHN will get the 3 spots for Korea.

He was neck to neck with Yuzuru back at Juniors in 2010 and I still remember his stellar 2011-2012 GP season where he ruined everyone's podium predictions .

Oh well,...

PeterG

...but he was going to win next year's PSOTY gold medal! (Well, he would have if I had anything to do with it!) Hope this was a happy decision (new career options, or going back to school, etc.) rather than a disappointment/frustration decision.

Seerek

Holy Crap? ALREADY????

But he wasnt on the senior scene all that long, was he?

I really LOVED his skating..

6 seasons in senior.

Unlike the days of Min Zhang and Chengjiang Li (both retiring at 30), 25 seems to the current going retirement age with the Chinese men (former World Junior medalist Jinlin Guan retired last season at 25 as well).

Sylvia

TBD
China’s Nan Song retired, but not “finished”
By Wei Xiong Photo © Robin Ritoss
http://www.goldenskate.com/2016/04/nan-song/
On April 4, the day after the Worlds ended, he posted a video on the website of Skating China, officially announcing his retirement.
“Everyone will eventually come to a time to step down from the stage, but I have never left any regret,” he said. “I would like to thank you for all your support and encouragement over the years, and thank you for always being by my side, regardless if I am in my prime or not performing well.”
“In fact, it is really hard to leave everything behind, but I hope you understand,” Song continued. “We skaters look so bright on the stage; all of us may not want to leave, but all of us have something that we can’t fight. I hope you can understand and support us. I hope I could have your wishes in the next stage of my life. I also wish you good health and happiness. Thank you!”

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information