Names You Will NEVER Give Your Children

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cachoo, Nov 1, 2012.

1. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

But "Philip" has always been as common a spelling as "Phillip", although both are used frequently. Two "l" may be more common in the US than the UK though. I would imagine he would have to spell it whichever way was chosen.

I dislike most "occupational names". Tanners had one of the worst, smelliest jobs ever- using urine (human and animal) and animal feces to cure smelly skins of dead animals. It was among the "lowest" medieval occupations, and is still pretty gross today, although the materials have changed for the better. I wonder if in the future kids will be named "Janitor" (not nearly as bad a job as a tanner!) or "Barrista"?

2. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

They couldn't say the r and the l and r together was even worse. So they tended to call him OO-lick.

Actually, in the US you can call yourself anything you like as long as you aren't changing your name to commit fraud. And that becomes your legal name. So he could just start spelling it with two Ls if he liked that better and that would become his name.

Except historically these names came about because people only had first names. So if there was confusion about which Tom, Dick or Harry you were talking about, you'd add in "from Town Name" or "the Occupation". Over time, these names got shortened and the "from" and the "the" lost.

Since we now all come with two names and sometimes more, I don't think that mechanism is still really available. New last names in particular these days mostly come from combining already existing last names. Which is going to lead to different kinds of horrible last names than occupation last names. :D

3. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

I'm quite aware of how and why surnames came about - but these surnames are now given as first names, and I imagine many parents are just paying attention to the sound of the names, and not their meanings (which aren't too hard to figure out or look up!). Tanners and such were historically not well regarded, even if the work they did was necessary! I doubt that most of them are calling their kids "Tanner" and "Hunter" because they are family names in their own lineage- they just like the sound of them. And I know that "Barrista will never be a surname in our society- I was just making an analogy that those names would be the modern equivalent occupational names.

4. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Btw, my brother loves his one L Philip name, & detests it whenever someone gets it wrong.

ETA: my nephew named his son Cade which I guess was a made-up name since I've never heard of another.

5. MacMadame

I think they are giving them as first names because they have heard them as last names and giving your kids a first name that used to be a last name is seen as being upscale somehow. I.E., it's something the rich do so I'm going to do it too.

Therefore, since there is no mechanism to get Barista as a last name any more, how can it migrate into a first name once people no longer know what a barista is? Though I'd bet on Barista becoming a pretty first name for a girl sooner than I'd vote for Janitor for a first name (for a boy?) :lol:

Cade is English in origin and the name peaked in popularity in the US around 2001.

6. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

I don't actually think they will be given any time soon- if they are- it will be for the same reason as the others- parents like the sound of them and don't care for (or know) the meaning. And I do see Janitor as a boy's name, but then you never know do you? :)

Cade is another surname turned first name- I always think of the peasant revolt Cade's Rebeliion in 1450, led by Jack Cade against Henry Vl. But that's probably not where the parents got it from, unless they are history geeks too? ;)

7. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

Our niece named their son Hunter. I can't imagine what they were thinking. They must have liked the sound of it. There is not two people more disinclined to actually go hunting than these two. What were they thinking, and for their two daughters they named them traditional names ie Julia is one. And I also a know a Tanner. They'd be appalled if they actually thought about what they were naming their kid.

8. moojja

moojja Active Member

I know what Hunter and Tanner means and where the names came from. But if I hear the name, I don't associate it with hunting or tanning. I think it's someone who white, wholesome, upper-class, a bit snobby.

9. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

You'd be right, except for the last 2, middle class and pretty low key describes them. :)

10. falling_dance

falling_dance Bravo, Patrick.

"Cade Calvert" was the name of a very minor character in Gone with the Wind, but that's probably not it, either. I like the association with Cade's Rebellion much better.

11. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

No way are the parents history geeks. I thought I was one but I'm not familiar with Cade's Rebellion. And I read Gone With The Wind when I was a teenager - I forgot there was a character by that name. I've never known anyone with that surname.

12. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I briefly dated a guy named Sandy. Sandy isn't a bad name for a girl, but IMO just doesn't work for a guy.

13. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

So how does it work for hurricanes? :yikes:

So much of what makes a name "work" or not is culturally specific and/or personal taste.
    I hesitate to pass judgment on other people's choices; I can only say what I like or don't like.

14. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I remember in an episode of Sex and the City, Charlotte pitched a fit when she accused another woman of allegedly stealing Shayla, the name she had made up for her baby.

15. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

My grandma's neighbors had a son named "Stacy". I don't like that for a guy, either. And I had a male student named "Tracy" once. Both girls' names IMO.

16. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

The best possibility I can come up with is Cade McNown. Though I'm not sure if anyone would want to name a kid after him.

Exactly. Sometimes a name will make no sense in a different culture, other times it will take on an unwanted meaning, or be associated with the opposite gender. For instance: Noa in Israel is a common girls' name, and whenever I come across any fictional/real life male Noahs, it's just strange for me to think of it as a man's name (the pronunciation of the Biblical name is different in Hebrew). That doesn't mean that people are wrong to name their children Noah. Or Noa. Another example mentioned earlier in the thread is the name Guy, which is quite common in several countries but might seem like a bit much for someone from the US.

BTW, isn't Sandy short for Alexander?

17. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Usually . . . or Alexandra, or its short form Sandra, for a girl.

But sometimes also used as short for a name like Sanford. Or just because someone has sandy-colored hair?

Anyway, I find that name a little too angular to like for a girl, but I don't mind it for a boy. Or maybe my opinion is colored by the women I've known named Sandy, and vice versa.

18. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

My aunt (by marriage) is Sanford, nicknamed Sandy. I always felt bad for her.

19. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Can't stand unusual spellings such as "Jordyn," "Kymberley," etc. Plus, it's just setting someone up for a lifetime of having to correct misspellings.

On another topic, 30 years from now we'll have to deal with countless women known as "Grandma Tiffany." :scream:

20. MacMadame

That's interesting because we're of a similar generation and I can think of a lot of guys named Stacy and Tracy who are quite masculine. I think of these names as unisex.

Unfortunately have a common name with a common spelling doesn't preclude that. I have gotten so tired of correcting how people spell and say my name, that I've just given up.

21. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

I knew a boy Stacy- short for Eustace. And a Couple of boy Tracys (not short for anything, as far as I know, although one went by "Trace".

22. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

An ex-co worker friend of mine named her daughter Morticia Lucrisha. That was around 23 years ago. She said that one of her favorite shows was The Addams Family. Her daughter had to deal with this name all throughout high school. The daughter legally changed her name to McKala after she got out of high school. I cannot blame her one bit for doing so. To begin with, people should definitely think about what they're going to name their children and the concequences their children will have to deal with if they have such irate, unusual names. :shuffle:

23. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I don't think a name determines your masculinity or your femininity. Not at all. The boy named Tracy that I taught was a big burly football player. I just happened to have grown up with at least one Tracy and three or four Stacys around in every school. And they were all female.

24. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

It is too bad Morticia Lucrisha wasn't happy with tisha, or tish, or lucy or lucky...any number of nick names! But to be another Mckala, Macayla, mikayla....

25. Norlite

Norlite New Member

How is that pronounced? the same as Michaela?

I knew a guy in high school, big handsome guy, who was a late baby, had parents in their 60's in HS, who's actual name on his BC was Dani. Poor poor guy. He obviously always used Danny.

26. Norlite

Norlite New Member

Or yeah, I'd forgotten these had become alternate spellings........

I actually think a lot of these spelling came about because some parents knew names, but had no idea how to spell them.

I also knew a woman who loved the name Chantel, so named her daughter Shawntel. I always figured she never knew how to spell it or pronounce it correctly.

27. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Must drive you nuts, having so many people write "McMadam." ;)

28. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

I went to school with a girl called Anamarija (common Slavic combination of Ana and Marija (Mary)).
    But weird part is that she is one of 3 sisters. Other 2 - Anabella, Anabellee.

29. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

30. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

The Bookshop Sketch. I remember "Knickerless Nickleby" and "A Sale of Two Titties" were two of the titles. :D