Names You Will NEVER Give Your Children

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cachoo, Nov 1, 2012.

1. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

I think Margaret is a lovely name- and (like Elizabeth) there are many options for nicknames.

Lots of "traditional" English names have nicknames and shorts that are somewhat puzzling, but they probably came about because the names were so common that variations were used to differentiate all the Marys, Annes, Catherines and such.

Thus we get Margaret- Meg- Peg; Mary- Molly- Polly; Anne- Nan- Nancy; Edward- Ed- Ted; Christopher- Kester- Kit and lots more. Many are surprise that "Polly" comes from "Mary", but it does! Name origins are are fascinating things!

Another name that surprises people is that "Daisy" can come from "Margaret"! Margaret in French is" Marguerite", which is a large kind of daisy. It was often given as a nickname in families with lots of Margarets. Of course it is also a flower name in its own right, but still- interesting.
  2. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

Yes, one should always be careful with fancy names, as you never know how the kid turns out.

You call your boy Savage, and you're hoping a for a handsome guy that cleans up very nicely. But what if he grows to have stinky pits, weak teeth, and no talent for combing?
  3. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

I'm sort of going off on a tangent, but have any of you talked to your parents about what you would have been named if you were born the opposite sex?

I only bring this up because my parents would never agree on a name. When my mom first got pregnant my parents agreed that if it was a girl, my mom would have full rights to the name. If it was a boy, he'd be Thurston Howell IV. So she named her first Jennifer Lynn, the most common combination of names in the 70s. A couple of miscarriages later, I show up in the oven, and would not be denied. My dad did not like the name Jennifer Lynn,ever, and he called rights on the name if it was a girl. He proposed Tovah Belle. In 1972. Not 1872. And the bizarre part is that my mother is of Jewish lineage and my WASPy dad made her convert to Christianity before he'd introduce her to his family. And then he picks TOVAH? Anyway, I was born and it was a bad delivery, a c-section followed by an emergency hysterectomy. I was in the NICU for a month and everyday my mom was there for 18 hours, my dad too concerned about not concerning his family was hardly there. She chose my name, not Thurston Howell IV, she told me, because she was in shock that my dad gave consent to remove her uterus (she understands it was to save her life, but still she didn't make the decision). So all bets were off. She signed the birth certificate when my dad wasn't there, and I am 'Alex Forrest' the first. My mom also said there was no way she'd sign off on any Tovah Belle. She liked the name Stephanie Dawn and she was angry enough to do whatever she wanted.

Just an interesting recollection. I like the name Tovah Belle, not so inspired by Stephanie Dawn.

Anyone else have a story about what your parents might have named you?
  4. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

:confused: Is your father Jim Backus?
  5. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

If I had been a boy, I would have been named Jeffrey Louis.
  6. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

If I had been a boy, I would have been named "David Emil"; Emil for my mom's grandfather, who died while she was carrying me, but David because (a) "Emil" was too German and (b) dad liked Bible names. Since I wasn't a boy, mom wanted to name me "Emily", and dad held out for "Esther" (first initial). They flipped a coin; dad won.
  7. Alex Forrest

Haha, close. Thanks for getting the reference. My real name is not Alex Forrest the first either.
  8. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

My parents couldn't agree on my name, so my brother named me after his kindergarten girlfriend. He was 4.
  9. JeffClair1979

JeffClair1979 Active Member

I could think of worst first names :lol:
  10. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Nothing about opposite gender, but my mom loved two girls names that she had to give up because they would have been absolutely awful with our last name. She also inadvertently stole her sister's two favorite names. My older brother has my aunt's favorite boy name and I have her favorite girl name. Her son is younger than my brother and three weeks older than me. Had he been a girl, I would have a different name. Her daughter is five years younger than me.
  11. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

I seem to recall my parents mentioning that I might have been "Jacob", which would have been interesting because the only Jacobs I've met since have all been horrible troublemakers!

My brother is Dale, which Dad swears up and down has nothing to do with Dale Earnhardt Sr.
  12. PDilemma

Nearly every Jacob I taught was blond and a sweetheart. No idea why.

On the other hand, I had multiple boys named Christian who were all completely awful. I found that ironic.
  13. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Hmmm...I never made the connection to "janitor," but a lot of people pronounce my name, Janet, as Janit. I have even seen a dictionary that says the second syllable of Janet is pronounced, "it." As far as I am concerned, however, Janet should be pronounced with a short "a" and a short "e." There are various Boston-area accents, one of which pronounces many short "a" words with a very long "e" instead. For instance, the little lamb was lost by Meeeeeeeery, the girl from Green Gables would be Eeeeeeeeeeeeun, and nuns were Keeeeeeeath-lic. Quite a few classmates on the playground would say my name as Jeeeeeeeeeean-it.

What always has surprised me is when people from the USA pronounce Janet the same as Jeannette. Doesn't happen often, but it still puzzles me. Wonder if they accent the second syllable of "planet?" What happens much more often is that people will call me Janice instead of Janet, even some people who knew me fairly well. This has been going on my entire life. Anyone else named Janet that I've asked has encountered the same thing. I actually mentioned this once to someone named Janice and she said that people call her Janet by mistake. We can't win!
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  14. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

My sister is Margaret Ann but goes by Margie. When we were kids, our older brothers would call her Maggie because she hated the name and would go into a rage. I would call her Maggoty Ann (she also hated Raggedy Ann dolls) and our younger brother shortened it to Maggot. Some of her coworkers call her Marge, another name she depises. They ignored her numerous requests to not call her that so now she doesn't respond when they call her Marge.
  15. somechick

somechick Member

My name is also Janet and I get the "Jeannette" all the time too. I chalk it up to most people are stupid and too self-absorbed to care about trying to say it correctly. But then, I would much rather get the Jeannette than the oh so original, "oooh, Janet Jackson" (as if they are the first to ever utter this) or "dammit, Janet" crap.

On the awful names discussions, I went to high school with a girl named Little Parsley. Little was not a nickname, that was her legal name. And I work with a woman whose grand-daughter is named Desire--not Desiree', but Desire. She is almost too embarrassed to tell people the name she hates it so much...lol.
  16. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

The other day at the gym I was served by this pretty lady named Wonderful.
  17. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

My oldest nephew Jacob is... blonde, blue-eyed and a brain just like my brother. He'll probably inherit my brother's height as well - 6'4". :)
  18. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i read it yesterday and i'm still chuckling to myself over little parsley
  19. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

This basically. Combine that with people who speak English as a foreign language and it's a been a donkey's age since someone spelled or pronounced my name correctly.
  20. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

More on the Jeannette theme. This was my aunt's name and yet my dad always pronounced it Jen-ATT. No idea why! He was the only one in the family who did.
    When I was in high school, a student from an eastern country enrolled, name of Kotex. If this isn't registering with you, think Tampax! The name got changed very quickly.
  21. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

My mother is an Elisabeth, and her nickname is Bobbie. This came about because there were something like 15 Elisabeths in her class and they were almost all called "Betty" or "Lizzy" at home. So her teacher put every possible nickname for Elisabeth in a hat, and they picked. Betty, Beth, Betsy, Liz, Lisbeth, Lizzy, Lisa, Liza, Eliza, Elise, Ella, Ellie weren't enough so they had to get creative and she wound up with Bobbie.

I know someone named Anne Howe (she married a man named Howe) and someone named Mary Mee (married a man named Mee).
  22. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate New Member

Matchy names for twins. Those have to go.
  23. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

That's funny - something somewhat similar happened to my father. On his first day of school as an 8 year old immigrant, the teacher gave him a new name because she and the other kids couldn't pronounce his actual name. To this day, he still goes by that name, with his actual name providing the middle initial in his signature.

On a somewhat related note, I used to work at a place where they thought it confusing to have more than one person with the same first name (even though there were less than 30 of us). It was months before I found out that Kristina was actually Judy, which happened to be the name of the one of the bosses. I drew Kristina in the Christmas gift exchange, so I gave her a bag load of office supplies with the name Judy on it.

I'm amazed so many agreed to this, especially in a profession where networking is a big deal and people move around a lot. But most were entry level and I guess didn't know better or feared fighting the bosses. Personally, there's no way I'd give up my own name!
  24. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

I liked Tisha, too, and even suggested that to her. She liked the name McKala (pronounced Mikayla) better, though. McKala's mom was upset with her for a very long time because she thought Morticia was a beautiful name. McKala (Morticia) said that her schoolmates would always pick with her and ask why she wasn't driving the family hearse to school. They both get along much better now, and McKala has told me that her life is more 'normal' now since she changed her name.
  25. PDilemma

The first school I worked at was like that with the staff. So prior to my arrival, a second "Lisa" had been hired. She was ordered to provide an alternative name and became "Lisa Beth" said so fast it ran together and I initially thought it one name. When I got there for new teacher orientation, I was told there was already another person with my first name and I had to add a middle name or give them an alternative. I politely said no. I found it odd anyway because in the process of a work day with kids always around, teachers don't call each other by first names much anyway. "Lisa" was "Mrs. Smith" and "LisaBeth" was "Mrs. Jones".
  26. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Funny, we have 2 Maryannes, 2 Marians, and my admin and I have the same name.
  27. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

I can relate, we had 15 Mary variations in one of my elementary classes.
  28. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

My dad's name is Lauri, because we are Finnish-American, and just yesterday my sister posted up a picture of a note NPR sent him (a handwritten note) addressed to him and my mother in a way that clearly indicated they thought they were a lesbian couple. More hilariously, they divorced 12 years ago. I thought it was great and apparently it is now on my fridge back home.
    Lizziebeth and (deleted member) like this.
  29. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Parents name baby "Hashtag"

30. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Reading that statement reminded me of a former co-worker. Her husband had cousins (same last name) named Morgan and Alex. Now, I don't have an issue with either of those names, but what did they name THEIR kids? Morgan and Alex 'Same Last Name'! They all live in the same mid-sized community, will be attending the same school system (unless one moves away), and are only a few years older than your kids, and you intentionally give your kids the exact names of two other kids .... that are related to you? :confused: I never did understand that one.
  31. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

32. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

I hadn't seen this thread, and there are some sad/hilarious names in it!

So I feel a need to donate.

I once worked with a named Harry Cox.
    Not Harold, Harry, after his uncle Harry.
    Whenever anyone was annoyed with him, they always called by his full name :lol:

I had a professor in college, who was a Dr. Bliss. His given name was Francis, and his wife's name was also Frances. They went by Fran & Frannie. He had a relative named of all things "Free Love Bliss"

At a department picnic, the subject of funny names came up, including the names of the Blisses, who were present. However, the last entrant in the bad name contestant was given by Frannie Bliss. She said she had grown up with a boy who was the youngest of 10 children in the Oliver family, by name "Revilo Oliver" and she thought that was a horrible thing to do to a child. The snippest graduate student in the dept. said she thought that wasn't that bad a name, and Frannie said, in her thickest Southern accent, "My dear, Mrs. Oliver was so out of names when she reached the tenth child, that she named him Revilo because Revilo is Olvier spelled backwards.
  33. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Well, better Revilo Oliver than Oliver Oliver.

Depending which name he likes better, maybe he could get married and become Revilo Wife'slastname.

I knew a couple who were both named Franci(e)s. He was Fran and she was Cis.
  34. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

I ran into one I'd never heard before on LinkedIn

Qwerty Smith, presumably after the keyboard.
  35. Alex Forrest

I had to google the name to figure out that Hashtag is a twitter word. At first I wasn't understanding the problem, yeah, it's different, but it just sounded German or Nordic. There's a poster on here, and I am so blanking on it, with an interesting name that I've only associated with a movie "X and the Angry Inch". I wish I could come up with that name. So Hashtag reminded me of that. What is the name? It was a funny movie. But I understand now the dislike. But at least it wasn't something so blatantly out there. I'm sure many intelligent persons like myself might think it has some meaning and move on.
  36. personwhoishere

personwhoishere Well-Known Member

One of my ex-boyfriends is named Damian. People would always spell it Damien and/or think he was named after the creepy kid in The Omen.

Also, my dad's name is Fedde, a very Dutch name, pronounced "Feh-duh", and was always called Freddy in school, so he eventually just started going by Fred.

Finally, I've had an ice skating student named Cinnamon, who goes by the nickname "Cinny".
  37. PDilemma

Subbed today. Had two spelling tragedies: "Izzaballa" and "Jakeb". And a child named "Chai".
  38. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

Hedwig (I've heard the title of the movie but haven't seen it).
  39. Bunny Hop

Bunny Hop Accept no substitutes

I used to work with a lovely Irish lady called Fiona. It was only later I found out her real name was Fionnula, but when she moved to Britain nobody could cope with that, and kept calling her Fiona, so Fiona she became, except to her family. A couple of us were mortified and tried to call her by her real name, but it didn't really work without everyone else joining in.
  40. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

It is quite common name here in Finland. Like Ari-Pekka Nurmenkari;)