Names You Will NEVER Give Your Children

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cachoo, Nov 1, 2012.

1. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

When I was younger I knew 3 sisters named Melody, Harmony, and Symphony. Also there are many students at my school who are from Islands populated by - well Island types - modern hippies with names inspired by nature including Cedar and Porpoise. That was his birth certificate name.

2. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Do they rhyme with Clementine or Sweet Mama Stringbean? ;) Enquiring minds want to know.

3. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Exactly. My mother had no idea how popular "Jennifer" was going to be in the late '70s. She named me after a character from her favorite books as a child (the Jennifer Hill stories--I find the one called "Jennifer Dances" highly apropos now) and had no idea that there'd be so many other kids with the same name.

Maybe they all read "The Baby-Sitter's Club" and couldn't stand naming a kid after the bratty little sister.

There's a reason it took umpteen books/series for him to own up to it...

4. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

My pet peeve with baby naming is when people have several children and give them matching names. I went to school with Melanie, Melaney, Melina, Melody and Melissa. No one ever knew which one you were referring to. My boss named his sons Darren and Darrell. Same thing.

5. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I might do a variation of my grandmother's name. Her name was (Nora) Maude - she hated Nora and was Maude all her life. It might be Norine or Maudiene. My grandfather's name was Carroll. I might think about using that one. Maybe incorporate with my great=grandfather's name too. Carroll Francis.

IME parents of ambigouos gender or extropy bladder (where the re-construction might be to make the child female due to the extensive birth defects and inability to create a functioning penis) will often choose a name that could be either or. Like Tracy, Kelly, Jesse.

6. mkats

mkats New Member

There's a girl (at least I'm assuming :lol: ) in our department who signs her name "Brit-NAY" in all her emails. I say girl but I'm pretty sure she's an adult...?

Oh, I knew a Melody and Harmony sibling set too! Their mother always lamented that she didn't have a third daughter to name Symphony. Years later I met someone online named Melody, and I had this really weird sense of deja vu after she gave a few details about her private life, and I couldn't help but ask if she had a sister named Harmony. She said yes. After a little more discussion it turned out that they weren't the sisters I knew, but she was still chuffed that there was another Melody and Harmony pair out there somewhere :)

7. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Yes, but some nations (in the linked article that began this thread) are making it a requirement that a child's name clearly demonstrate their gender. That seems rather insensitive to me. I wonder if they allow adults who are genderqueer to legally change their names to something ambiguous?

8. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

A friend of mine named her kids Irish first names (she's from Ireland) and a regular middle name and a wizard middle name. So one has Gandalf for a Middle name and one has Merlin. (I forget their other middle names.) Plus both her kid's names start with F and at first I couldn't keep the straight so I just called them F1 and F2. It caught on. :lol:

9. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

10. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I am an Amy, the only name more popular than Jennifer in the early 70s! My mom picked my name when she was young from two sources--Little Women and an elderly woman she knew growing up. She just loved the name.

Little did she know I would graduate with four other girls named Amy. We just beat the Jennifers and Stacys (four each).

11. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

Jamie, Jason, and Jennifer were huge when I was growing up. I graduated with 7 Jamie's, 5 Jennifer's, and 5 Jason's. there were only about 90 kids in my class. I would NEVER name my children those names now, only because there were SO MANY! Emily,Emma, Isabella, McKayla (and the other Mc's), Aiden (and all its rhymes) and Kaylee (and all its rhymes) are the Jamie, Jason, and Jennifer of today it seems.

12. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I went to high school with a girl named Faith, who had sisters named Hope and Charity.

13. PDilemma

I had Michaela, McKayla and Michayla in one class once and they would all get upset when theirs was spelled wrong. Drove me nuts.

I had four Dustins in one class one year. That was a head scratcher to me because I was not aware it was ever that popular of a name. I do not like that name. Not at all. Especially as they all seem to be called "dust" or "dusty". Might as well call your kid "dirt" or "mess".

14. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I feel like in my generation there are enormous numbers of Kate, Katherine, Katie, Katrina, Kat, etc. 80% of my close friends in life have one of these names. My parents never could keep any of my college friends straight. I also had three different college friends named Kelli.

15. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

A friend of mine named his daughters Demeter and Artemis. Another's kids are Hermione (named before Harry Potter- she's about 20 or so now), Pomona, and Philemon.

I rather like Classical names, though.

16. PDilemma

Somewhere around ten years ago, it seems like one of every two girls I taught had names that started with "K" including lots of Kate/Katherine/Katie. There were also Kaylas, Kaseys, Karas, Kelsies and Kylies to go with them.

17. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

That one isn't the parents' fault - the hospital nurse wrote down Orpah incorrectly. (I enjoy that Google Chrome doesn't highlight Oprah in spellcheck.)

I like Talia as well, and Aliya (but not Aliyah or Aaliyah). I also like Claudia and Julia. Unique names ... whatever. My own name, Jocelyn, is rare but not unheard of, and I like that.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  18. misskarne

misskarne #408

I hate that about famous things.

When I was younger I was absolutely determined to name any son I had Edward.

Now? Thanks, Twilight. One of my favourite names ruined by a stupid, illiterate book.

19. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

In my department at work we have two women named Stacia. I'd never met ONE before and now we have two. They are both blond and pretty, and friends, and they both got married this year and now their last names are almost identical as well.

20. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Francis was a common name in my father's very large family. My great uncle explained that he remembered the spelling of the male Francis because it had an "i" in it, like in "penis" while the female Frances's "e" was round with a hole in it. :)

My great-uncle was a dirty old man but funny.

I know I've mentioned it before but my favorite family of names were the children of hippies: daughters Hope, Peace and Liberty and sons Truth, Freedom and Justice. The last I knew all of their kids had names like James and Kate.

21. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

A friend of ours divorced a man named Dave, and started dating another man named Dave. Among our friends, to keep them straight because many of us still knew the first one, we started referring to the new guy as D2. We were careful not to say so around our friend so as not to continually remind her of the first guy (it ended badly) and not offend the new guy. Eventually they got married and no one sees the old guy anymore, so by the time we revealed our sekret nickname for him, they laughed about it, and now it's stuck - he's D2, whether anyone even remembers D1 anymore!

22. Flatfoote

Flatfoote Active Member

I went to school with a Vickie. She had two brothers Ricky and Nicky. I think there was another sibling with another rhyming name too. I remember her telling me her sibling's names, and I commented, "Gee, your parents sure like the icky sound." Thankfully she found that funny, rather than insulting. I really didn't mean to say her family names were icky. It just kinda came out that way. LOL.

I always wanted to have a little girl and name her Karalynne. Call her Kara for short. Sounding it out sounds a little like Caroline. I always thought I'd made up the spelling, but I did find it online once in a list of girl's names. So I guess I'm not so original after all. I always thought it had an elegant look to it, and the pronunciation wouldn't be too difficult. Of course, she would have trouble all her life getting people to spell her name right.

My given name is Marianne. And usually if I tell someone my name as they prepare to write it down, I have to immediately spell it out for them so they don't go with Mary Ann. They always get taken aback, and fumble with the writing. Tell me, "whoa, wait, how's that again?" Even when I tell people how to spell it, or they've seen it spelled before, they try to throw in an extra R, lop off an n, or both. Then there's those that see it spelled, and try to call me Marlene. Or, they hear me tell them my name, and come back at me with Mary. Even if it was spelled Mary Ann, if I tell you my name with the full pronunciation, the least you could do is address me as I've told you to.

23. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Isn't Aliya/Aliyah Hebrew for making a return to the Holy Land? (And an episode of NCIS, no prizes for guessing the plot.)

I also like Claudia and Julia, though mostly because they're feminine Roman family names (a girl would be Julia Majora, Julia Minora, etc. if she were of the Julii.) And being a Rome geek, it appeals.

If I had to use a relatively unique name, I might actually go and use my great-grandmother's name, Michaelina, or my great-great grandmother's, Karolina.

24. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

LOl - if you work in sales/hospitality I will laugh - I worked with the cutest blond named Stacia. How funny that there is more than one! Her's was short for Anastasia though.

25. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

It's a term used for Jewish people who immigrate to Israel, yes. It means going up or rising someplace. The reverse is yerida, which can be translated as coming down. What can I say, people are patriotic here ;) It's not used as a Hebrew name, though I believe it is an Arabic and Turkish name.

26. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

27. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

I was an accountant at our club's skating competition back in the '80's. One flight had 10 girls and six were named Jennifer.

My niece has a daughter named Kailee and a son name Kaiden. My nephew has a daughter named Isabella. We tried to suggest that perhaps they should consider naming them something a little less common, but they didn't listen. Kailee and Isabella each have four or five girls in their class with the same name (and they both go to schools with small classes). Kaiden is only a year old but I'm sure he won't be the only Kaiden in his class when he starts school.

When my younger brother was born, my mother shared a room with a woman whose last name was Lemon. She named her new daughter Candy.

28. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

When I was in 3rd grade, there were twin girls in my class named Whitney and Britney. I went to their birthday party and found out that their mother was also a twin and her and her sister were named Bonnie and Connie.

Recently, I came across a woman who had a daughter named So'Uneek. Spelled just like that.

29. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

Some friends of mine named one of their sons Rhyley (Riley pronounced). I found it so strange, they weren't the type of people I would expect it from. I think strange spellings of normal names is the most annoying trend, I would never do it.

I would also never name my kid something from another culture I had not connection to. A collage acquaintance named her first kid Yuri (after Yuri Gagarin), the parents were both as Danish as you can be.
    I looove the name Omar, but wouldn't choose it since I have no connection to the name. My sister in law married a guy from Pakistan, and despite my lobbying my nephew is not named Omar ;).

I would never name a girl what I think of as a 'stripper name': Charity, Candy and the like.

In addition, I feel strange about biblical names, thought they are very common in Denmark (Peter, Michael, Marie = Mary, etc), since I am not really a Christian.

My husband think it is strange to name kids after a god, even from a (mostly) dead religion, no Thor (or Zeus) for us - Thor is not uncommon in Scandinavia though.

30. znachki

znachki Active Member

So, so many names. I just can't even get through the entire thread. I knew a family that wanted all the kids names to have very few vowels and be unusual. Also, the kids all have the same middle name (a family last name) and a hyphenated last name (mom & dad). I've changed the middle & last names, but they are similar to what's there. The first names are the same.

Xtehn Waterhouse Bellringer-Titbrush
    Zahlen Waterhouse Bellringer-Titbrush
    Vehro Waterhouse Bellringer-Titbrush
    Rohre Waterhouse Bellringer-Titbrush

also, I used to work with a guy whose father was a OB-GYN. There was a woman who named her daughter Vagina - pronounced vaj-in-ay!