Name Your Favorite Holiday Songs!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by nubka, Nov 29, 2012.

1. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

It's that time of year again. What are your favorites?

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year (Andy Williams)
    Silent Night
    White Christmas
    Holly Jolly Christmas (Burl Ives)
    Wonderful Christmas Time (Paul McCartney)
    Santa Baby (Eartha Kitt)
    Silver Bells
    God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
    Ava Maria
    Last Christmas (Wham!) :eek:
    Baby, it's Cold Outside

2. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

As well as the second and fifth songs you listed, I'm fond of the original recordings of "Jingle Bell Rock" and "Rockin' around the Christmas Tree".

3. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Give Lve on Christmas Day - The Jackson Five

4. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

We Three Kings has been my favorite for years.

I also love 'In The Bleak Midwinter'.

5. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

The traditional carols, Handel's Hallelujah Chorus, Mannheim Steamroller's Deck the Halls, Hark! The Herald Angels Sing, Joy to the World

The only songs I can't tolerate this season are Brenda Lee's "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" (sorry, but for me, her voice is insipid), Jingle Bell Rock, and, worst of all - "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer"

Now, I'm Jewish, and there is a lot more to Chanukah music than "I Have a Little Dreidl." I love Peter, Paul, & Mary's "Light One Candle," and just about everything by the Jewish American group (from Boston), Safam.

6. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

O Come O Come Emmanuel
    Joy to the World
    O Holy Night
    Silent Night
    The Little Drummer Boy

7. sequins

sequins Active Member

I love this as well especially Sarah McLachlan's version.

I love Christmas music in general. It's one of my favorite things about Christmas. If I had to pick my favorites it would probably be:
    It Came Upon The Midnight Clear
    Silver Bells
    White Christmas (by Bing Crosby)
    Its Christmas Time Again(by Bing Crosby)
    Christmas Memories(by Frank Sinatra)
    A Cradle In Bethlehem(by Nat King Cole)
    but I love a ton more as well:D

8. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

9. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

O Come O Come Emmanuel probably has the prettiest music of all of them. It is exquisite. I also like Mary Did You Know by Kenny Rogers. For sheer beauty I prefer the traditional religious carols. The secular ones get really tiresome. I completely agree about Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer. I find that one crass & offensive.

10. AshleyN

AshleyN Well-Known Member

Religious:
    O Holy Night
    Do You Hear What I Hear
    God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
    Hark! The Herald Angels Sing, Joy to the World, O Come All Ye Faithful - with the caveat that I only like these when sung by a large choir

Secular:
    Do They Know It's Christmas
    Fairytale of New York
    The Christmas Song
    Happy Christmas (War is Over)
    I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas

Heh. This is probably the only Christmas song that I genuinely hate, which is extra annoying because every year it seems to be the one I hear most on the radio.

11. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

I also love Christmas/Holiday music! In our neibourghood we have many people who sing or had sang in choirs plus a very good pianist, so we have a tradition to gather round the grand piano and sing together. It is always one of my highlights in Christmas time.

I have to confess that I like White Christmas:eek: O Holy Night, in Swedish (O Helga Natt) is one of my favourites, too. And all five Christmas songs by Sibelius are beautiful... At least we have a great Finnish Christmas song tradition.

12. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Ugh, that's the version I can't stand! So whiney and nasal, and a complete refusal to commit to pitch. So many other, better versions out there.

I love that song too. It's one of the many that make me choke up.

I can tolerate Grandma Got Run Over (esp. the Irish Rovers version), and I don't mind "Jingle Bell Rock" (esp. the Muppets version, just because of Animal) ... but I agree, "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" is pretty awful. Any version, but particularly Brenda Lee.

And the one that makes me cringe every time because it's so borderline date-rapey is "Baby, It's Cold Outside."

But, since I like virutally every other Christmas song, here are my favourite specific performances of individual songs:
    ~ Coventry Carol - Kingston Trio
    ~ Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - hard to pick a favourite here, but probably The Muppets with John Denver, with Rosemary Clooney and James Taylor versions being runners up
    ~ Gabriel's Message - Sting
    ~ God Rest Ye / We Three Kings - Barenaked Ladies and Sarah McLaughlin
    ~ Santa Baby - Eartha Kitt
    ~ O Holy Night - Tracy Chapman
    ~ Carol of the Bells - The Nylons
    ~ The Holly Bears a Berry - The Chieftans
    ~ The Huron Carol - The Nylons with Tom Jackson
    ~ The Magi - Peter, Paul, and Mary
    ~ Christmas Time Is Here -- Diana Krall
    ~ The Christmas Song -- Mel Tormé
    ~ Sleigh Ride - Holly Cole (fabulous bluesy version)
    ~ It Came Upon a Midnight Clear - Ella Fitzgerald
    ~ Let it Snow – Dean Martin
    ~ O Little Town of Bethlehem - Burl Ives
    ~ Little Drummer Boy / Peace on Earth - Bing Crosby and David Bowie
    ~ The Rebel Jesus - Jackson Browne
    ~ The Little Road to Bethlehem - Judy Collins
    ~ Winter Wonderland – Louis Armstrong
    ~ Bells over Belfast – The Irish Rovers
    ~ I Wonder as I Wander - Jewel
    ~ I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas - Gayla Peevey
    ~ Oh Come All Ye Faithful - Frank Sinatra
    ~ Silver Bells - Elvis Presley
    ~ Riu Riu Chiu - Bruce Cockburn
    ~ Rudolph - Gene Autry
    ~ Last Month of the Year - Chris Isaak
    ~ We Need a Little Christmas - Angela Landsbury
    ~ Mele Kalikimaka - Bette Midler
    ~ I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day - Burl Ives
    ~ In the Bleak Midwinter - Shawn Colvin
    ~ Who Comes This Night - James Taylor
    ~ Song for a Winter's Night - Gordon Lightfoot

For "classical" renditions of traditional carols, my favourites are the Canadian Brass christmas album (instrumental) and "A Choirboy's Christmas" (cathedral choir).

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  13. duane

duane New Member

This Christmas - Donny Hathaway
    Merry Christmas - Judy Garland (from the movie In The Good Old Summertime)
    Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - Judy Garland (from Meet Me In St Louis)
    We Three Kings

14. znachki

znachki Active Member

All of them! OK, except O Christmas Tree and that one about the shoes, oh and this cat carol thing, that I've mercifully only heard only a couple of times. There are others that I'm not overly fond of, but those 3 are the only ones I can't stand.

Actually one that I dearly love, was originally on one of those compiltation albums when I was a kid (we're talking 1960's here). It was "The Star Carol" by Anna Maria Alberghetti. For years I've wanted that, but it was nowhere else to be found. Finally, this year it has appeared on iTunes! :cheer::cheer2:

My sister and I have a "contest" every year. We both pick a song, and when we are in the car together listening to the Christams station on the radio, whoevers song comes on first, wins. The loser has to buy coffee. This year was the record. We picked the songs as we were walking to the car, and like 3 songs later, my sister won. But, we just pick new songs, and keep going.:lol:

15. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I Want a Hippopotamus For Christmas!!
    And while I can't stand Mariah Carey, I do love her All I Want For Christmas Is You

I always enjoyed Baby It's Cold Outside, until I realized it sounds a little date rape-y ('hey, what's in this drink?' while a guy constantly pressures her to spend the night...)

16. Artemis@BC

I see The Irish Rovers has a new Christmas album out this year (Merry Merry Time of Year). I loved their first Christmas album, so am going to have to get this one too methinks.

The link is for a digital download and has streaming full versions of each track for preview.

17. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Date-rapey? Please. :rolleyes:

18. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Tran-Siberian Orchestra - Christmas/Sarajevo
    The Christmas Song (Chestnuts) - Nat King Cole
    I'll Be Home for Christmas
    What Child is This (AKA Greensleeves)
    Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
    Silver Bells
    Jingle Bell Rock, mostly because it reminds me of my childhood

19. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Auld Lang Syne. Because it means that Christmas is over!! I dislike nearly all Christmas music, especially in the malls.:slinkaway

20. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I usually would mention the traditional carols already listed but I have been in such a mood to party this year that I've been thinking about bar bands and horn sections and the holiday songs for a party or for snuggling. So in that vein:

The Ronettes: Sleigh Ride
    Stevie Wonder: What Christmas Means to Me
    Darlene Love, The E Street Band and the Miami Horns: All Alone on Christmas
    Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band: Santa Claus is Coming to Town
    Otis Redding: White Christmas
    Leon Redbone/Zooey Deschanel: Baby It's Cold Outside
    Mariah Carey: All I Want For Christmas is You
    The Pogues: Fairytale of New York
    Donny Hathaway: This Christmas
    and so many others....

21. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i like a good o holy night but dont cheat me on that last glory note
    i like the bells of st marys, esp by andy williams
    i like that mash up of little drummer boy and bolero, it is much better than it sounds

i've only been offended maybe 5 times in my whole life and each time it was due to dominic the xmas donkey. everyone involved in its creation should be shot. twice.

22. AshleyN

AshleyN Well-Known Member

Even if I liked that song - which I don't - I'd never be able to take it seriously after listening to Patton Oswalt's take on it. (NSFW)

23. znachki

znachki Active Member

:lol: I think I love you for that...

24. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

Ditto. And I despise "Rockin Around the Christmas Tree" more than almost anything on earth.

25. Artemis@BC

OMG, that is frickin' hilarious! :rofl: Thank you for that!!

I wonder who did the animation? (I started scrolling through the comments but it was all a theological debate so I didn't get very far ...)

26. znachki

znachki Active Member

It was actually produced by Patton Oswalt.
    Art & Design - Brain Musikoff
    Animation - John Kuramoto

27. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

Fairytale of New York is my all time favourite Christmas song, and I'm not alone - it gets the number one spot just about every time there's a vote for best Christmas song here in Sweden. A more traditional song I like is God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen, but that's mostly because of the things I associate with it. You know bad things are afoot when masked Santas are playing that song on Doctor Who... :lol:

28. Artemis@BC

It was also the song played by the Salvation Army brass band in the Mr Bean Christmas special when he took the baton. :lol:

29. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Soundtrack to "A Charlie Brown Christmas" by Vince Guaraldi
    O Holy Night (especially in French, or in English by the Lennon Sisters)
    I Believe in Father Christmas - Greg Lake
    Hark the Herald Angels Sing
    Santa Claus is Back in Town - Elvis Presley

I may have mentioned this on this board in the past, but somehow I have it in my head that "Jingle Bell Rock" includes the lyrics "In the salt sea air" instead of "in the frosty air." I am always surprised when the singer does not sing "salt sea."

30. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I used to love Mannheim Steamroller Christmas albums. The music in the late 80s early 90s when they first started out. I think we had tickets to their Christmas concerts for years. Now I find them annoying. As any of the smaltzy or ridiculous songs (red shoes, grandma got run over by a reindeer, the twelve days of Christmas-archie bunker version)
    I like Christmas music during church services and the 3 or 4 days before Christmas - not beginning after Halloween like my radio station does. I found a new radio station this year - I usually switch back in January when the madness stops. I don't think I will this year.