Nam Nguyen VS Nathan Chen

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by johndockley92, Feb 28, 2012.

1. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

This showdown is set for next year's JGP circuit and Nam just landed a clean 3A at the Jr worlds Prelim Round :eek:

Nam's triple triple combos were under-rotated, however they aren't always.

This is an interesting matchup and I wonder who will end up ahead in the small-asian-phenom-North American showdown. Thoughts?

2. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

Your poll won't let me post?

3. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

Seems broken to me as well...

4. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

I voted and a thread from seven years ago came up. I tried to vote a second time and got the "You have already voted in this poll" message, so I'm guessing that the first one went through.

5. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I think it's going to be pretty close. Nam is a year older, so he has the 3A. But overall, Nathan is a much more consistent competitor.

6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to Nathan being old enough to compete internationally.
    We won't be able to answer the question until he can.

7. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Nam is a phenom, extraordinarily talented and a born performer. Unfortunately he is coached by Joanne McLeod. Sigh. If he doesn't get away from her, and soon, he may never have good jump technique, so the jumps will only get harder and harder as he grows. I hate to say it, but because of that alone I am dubious about his chances of success as he ages. Sigh.

Joanne McLeod :EVILLE:

8. shine

shine Well-Known Member

I don't think Nam really stands out amongst all the junior phenoms we are seeing recently. Are these two being compared particularly because they are similar in age?

9. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I have little/no doubt that by the time Nathan is eligible for junior competition internationally he will have a 3A.

I don't know this other kid- but it sounds like there are some good competitions in our future!

10. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Not to unnecessarily drop a monkey wrench into things, but I am always worrying about what might happen to these two when they grow.....:(

One can only hope that this factor will be only a speed bump.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  11. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Yes. And presumably because they're both of Asian descent. And have first names beginning with N.

12. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Nam's parents are both really short. I think Nam will grow, but he is unlikely to hit 5'5" ( of course I think he is only about 4'5" now lol!)

13. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Nathan is currently listed as 4'7" in his Ice Network Profile but who knows when it was updated. He"s still a "micro-person" as well.:D I actually saw Nathan's parents in the next section at Nationals but they were sitting, so I couldn't figure out his potential growth.

14. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Most of the male Asian skaters seem to be in the 5'4"-5'7" range, so pretty small for adult men. Of course some are taller, like Nan Song. Puberty doesn't seem to be as much of an issue for male skaters though. Of course adjusting can be hard, but as boys grow up, they also become much stronger and gain upper body strength which can actually help with jumps like 3a and quads.

Anyways I believe Nathan said he is already training the 3a, and is planning to move to LA full time this coming summer so Rafael Artunian can be his full-time coach. I am not worried about Nathan getting 3a and his development in general if he's going to be under the tutledge of Artunian from now on. McLeod on the other hand....makes me worry about Nam in the long run. But for now they are both super impressive!

I bet Chen does 3a in his programs next season though, I can just see it happening, his other jumps and everything else is so solid. And even if it did take him a couple more years to get, he's still 12 so it wouldn't be a big concern.

15. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

I think a lot hinges on whether Nam gains more height and speed as he grows. To my amateur eye, it looks as though Nathan has better basics. And in that light, the system favors him.

16. pinky166

According to his ISU bio he is actually 4'11" (150 cm), so he's tiny but not nearly as small as you thought. I'm pretty sure Chen is smaller at this point, he is probably around 4'9" if I had to guess, but he is also a year younger than Nam. I hope Nam does better in the FS at JW, he had 2 mistakes in the SP which caused him to be a bit buried in the standings. But, the points are close, so he definitely has room to pull up into the top 10!

17. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

And even though he's not from North America, Shoma Uno is another "small" one (listed as 142 cm tall in his ISU bio) to watch! ;)

18. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I doubt Nathan Chen is much taller than 4'7'' at the moment - looking at the podium pic from US Nationals, he is much shorter than everyone else. For comparison, Dolensky is listed at 1.70m on his ISU bio.

I think they are both very young and anything can happen, but if I had to call it - Chen seems to me more likely to succeed. It helps that he will not be called upon to be the next Patrick Chan after Sochi; I think Nguyen may face more pressure, and there's the coaching situation...

19. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

Nguyen has landed a 3A which is a major accomplishment, but Chen is still a lot further along overall if you ask me. Nguyen's jumps are prone to under-rotation calls, most notably his 3toe in combination which is a full on toe-axel. He is young and hopefully can correct these technical issues as he grows. Chen, on the other hand has much better technique and air positions on the jumps he is able to do at this point, though he will want to be on the lookout for lip calls in the future IMO.

20. pinky166

Just watched his SP! He is so adorable! Looks even smaller than Chen. Pizazz in spades. Those 3 are cutie patooties.

21. skatesindreams

Nathan has that magical extra "something" that all competitors hope for; and few actually possess.
    His performances shine; and audiences and judges alike look forward to what he will do next.

That quality, combined with his strong work ethic; and great support/coaching bodes well for him.

22. feraina

feraina Active Member

Nathan Chen and Shoma Uno both have more of an "it" factor and better skating skills than Nam Nguyen. In addition, Chen has the best jump technique out of the three (Shoma has such distractingly bad techniques on his toe jumps!). I think to keep abreast with Nathan Chen, the other two both have to change their coaching situations.

Why do talented Japanese skaters keep on going to Machiko Yamada? Yukari Nakano, despite being a really lovely and talented skater, could never overcome the wrap that she learned under Yamada, and which ultimately limited her competitive success. Mao's flutz, toe-axel, weak 3S, unorthodox 3F entry, and other jump woes, originated with Yamda as well. Kanako Murakami also developed that broken-legged mule kick on her toe jumps that Shoma Uno is also saddled with, not to mention the dreaded flutz. I mean, to the untrained eye (of the parents and young skaters), I'm sure they see the allure of Yamada's having former skaters with obvious competitive success, and not so much the technical shortcomings.

I guess the same could be said of McLeod... sadly.

23. pinky166

Nathan Chen is a child prodigy. Nam and Shoma are certainly very talented, but I'd say Nathan is in a league of his own right now. His jump technique, spins, and intricate footwork are all :eek: good coming from a 75 pound 12 year old boy. Of course, it doesn't mean that Nam and Shoma can't catch up in the future or that Nathan could struggle down the line, but I expect Nathan to be a force in the future and trust Raphael to do a good job with him.

24. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

As long as Nam is coached by MacLeod with her quirky choreography and costume choices, Chen will have an advantage.

25. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

For some reason the poll doesn't work for me. Can't even see the results. Who's winning?

26. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Nathan Chen has 30 votes, Nguyen 14.

I watched a Salt Lake City local TV news report recently that featured Chen's coach, Genia Chernyshova, being shown working with a young girl on edge and turn exercises. I think Chernyshova should receive a LOT of credit for teaching Chen the basics so well.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  27. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks Sylvia! Make that 31 for Chen with my vote, even tho' the poll is not accepting it for some reason. :)

ITA!

28. pinky166

Did people watch Chen's EX at the Nationals Skating Spectacular? He skated to "Stereo Hearts" and had all these fun hip hop dance moves in the program, it was really impressive and he seemed really comfortable out there. In addition to being completely adorable, he totally sold the program well and felt the music, wasn't shy at all, that kind of versatility and confidence from a 12 year old is very promising and bodes well for future success. Chen has already learned how to work the crowd and knows he has the goods, but isn't cocky. He has all the attributes of a champion IMO.

Don't know much about Nguyen but he seems promising too. Nathan though I expect to tear up the JGP next season, and I bet we'll see 3a from him starting this summer, his technique is just so good.

29. mag

mag Well-Known Member

This was posted by Syliva in the Jr. Worlds, Men's Free Skate thread:

Nam Nguyen CAN 3A, 3Lz-3T, 3F, 3Lo shaky, 3Lz, 2A-2T-2Lo, 3S-2T shaky.

I believe it is based on a tweet. Nice to see the 3A in qualifying wasn't a fluke.

30. skatesindreams