Naked Ice Blog - Updated!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by kwanatic, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Kwanatic, I always enjoy your blog and appreciate all the effort you put into it. But I think you took your criticism of Gracie too far in your next to last entry. You generally seem to root your opinions in objectivity, but your long discussion of Gracie was just overflowing with negativity. I don't think she earned that.

But great job overall.

2. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Thanks for reading Spun!

My criticism of Gracie stems from my frustration with her team...I honestly don't think she's the one to blame. It's the people around her who are steering her in the wrong direction. I don't understand why they are determined to turn her into something she clearly is not. The music, the programs...none of it fits into who Gracie is as a skater, yet they insist on trying to shove her into a mold she does not belong in.

I think Gracie is a fabulous skater: speed, huge jumps, good technique, fast spins. Gracie is an amazing skater but she is not an artist. Instead of trying to force her to be, I think her people should be focusing on highlighting the extraordinary aspects of her skating (ie. speed, power). Her packaging is completely wrong and that's why I posted my rant. I just don't get why they are screwing her over when the route they should be taking to get her ready for Sochi is so obvious: play to your strengths. Plain and simple. I don't get why her coach/choreographer are so clueless...

As for her mental issues, it comes with the territory. Some people are able to focus and deliver, others are not. You either learn how to settle your mind and compete, or you don't. Frank can possibly help Gracie with this but, as I said, he is not a miracle worker. If he were Mirai would probably have won a few extra national championships and a world medal or two under him. He can only do so much...the rest has to come from Gracie.

Sorry if you felt I was being overly negative. I just gave my honest opinion. Gracie is being mismanaged and I'm really baffled as to why no one around her can see it. :confused:

3. Spun Silver

Just imagine Gracie reading it.

PS: You are free to say whatever you want, of course, but I hate "I'm sorry you feel that way" apologies! Just don't bother!

4. kwanatic

Hopefully if she read it she'd give it to her coaches and say, "Here, let's try this!" :lol:

FWIW, my "sorry you feel that way" apology wasn't meant as insincere. I intended for my post to be taken as un-sugarcoated constructive criticism...you felt it was overly negative. Each person perceives things differently so that's fine. :cool:

5. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

Count me in as someone who regularly reads your blog and also perceived your comments about Gold as off-puttingly negative. I appreciate at least a tiny coating of sugar. Nothing personal of course, just my opinion.

6. kwanatic

7. kwanatic

8. kwanatic

9. kwanatic

10. kwanatic

11. kwanatic

12. kwanatic

13. kwanatic

14. kwanatic

15. ComplimentsFrom

ComplimentsFrom Banned Member

16. Spun Silver

That is a stunningly unilluminating comment. Are you unable to say why or do you just like being mean?

Troll.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  17. ComplimentsFrom

Lack of genuine criticism. Needs more sincerity-- and not just saving the reserves of sincerity for gushing.

Not to turn this into me grading an English comp paper or anything, but if you're going to advertise your writings on a public forum, it should be better than this. If you're going to tell us what you feel, you should tell us why you feel they way you do, and not just relaying to us the synopsis of the competition. #CriticalTheory101

18. Spun Silver

No doubt, for the big bucks kwanatic is raking in with this skating blog, she owes us way more than this lousy detailed running commentary on the entire season of ladies' skating which hapless fans like you and me are forced to waste our time on. :rolleyes:

I liked the TEB commentary. I havent had time to watch the comp yet so it served as a preview for me. I especially enjoyed the rendition of the battle between Anna and Adelina. Sometimes I feel as though I am in an alternate universe for being an enthusiastic and patient admirer of Adelina (and her last season's FP) so I particularly appreciate kwanatic's appreciation of her. :)

19. ComplimentsFrom

Okay, I admit I came off as a douche. Maybe I'm just projecting my discontent with the content of internet writing/ journalism/ blogging in general.

20. Spun Silver

Thank you. :) That does seem like rather a lot to put on young (I imagine) kwanatic.

21. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Active Member

Thanks Kwanatic for your update. Always look forward to your comments :)

22. kwanatic

Lol! Wow, yeah, I'm a little late to defending myself but I see Spun and Maureen came to my defense (thanks guys :40beers:).

ComplimentsFrom, you don't feel my writing is sincere or critical enough and that's fair. I give a recap of the ladies events and my thoughts on what took place. I don't always feel the need to nitpick and be hypercritical of everyone though I have done that before. I'd say my blog is more informative/summary-based and most people seem to appreciate it for being that way.

Thanks for reading though. ;)

23. ComplimentsFrom

Don't worry, you will be a better writer with people like me critiquing you. Are you going to be an English or Journalism major?

24. kwanatic

I graduated from Georgia State in 2007 with degree in print journalism and a minor in marketing. :shuffle:

I appreciate your perspective and critiques regarding what/how I write, but I've had my blog going for about three years now and I'm happy with it.:cool: My approach has been working just fine for me and people seem to appreciate the way I've been doing things, so that old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind.

However, seeing as how you feel my blog and several others aren't giving you what you're looking for, maybe you should try your hand at managing a blog of your own. If you think a critical voice is missing then that can be your angle.

25. ComplimentsFrom

Nahh, that's beneath me. I write dick and fart jokes on Twitter.

26. kwanatic

27. kwanatic

28. kwanatic

29. Spun Silver

Nice summary, but, little point of fact, Gracie 's new SP has already been debuted and much discussed.

30. kwanatic

Thanks. :) I actually wrote that last week before she'd debuted the program. Still, exhibition and competition are two horses of different colors. We'll have to see how she skates when the lights and the pressure is on. ;)