Nagasu- can she win or medal at the Olympics if she skates her best

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by KimGOAT, Jul 18, 2013.

1. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

Can we talk about... I don't know, maybe NAGASU in this thread?

LilJen and (deleted member) like this.
  2. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

What's left to say beyond its virtually a statistical impossibility for mirai to win Sochi. She'd have to have several much stronger skaters all make mistakes plus be perfect just to get on the podium, and lets face it, even if that happened, shes not a canadian skating in canada. In past 30 years the only ladies oly medalist who wasn't ever a world champ or world medalist was Manley, and unlike mirai, she'd at least made all of the world teams leading up to Calgary. Even once in a lifetime Cinderella story Paul wylie never missed a nats podium leading up to albertville. The poor girl has dug herself such a hole to climb back out of, even finishing in the top 6 in Sochi would be an incredible comeback story.

3. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

Well, I think it is fair to say Gold sometimes beats her age peers. On the subject of presentation, it looks like her presentation (at least her PCS marks) are pretty much in the middle of the group of skaters mentioned above.

Looking at the last time they all competed with the same judging panel (2013 Worlds), here are the PCS for these five:

Murakami: SP 29.77, FS 62.11, Total 91.88
    Osmond: SP 29.54, FS 60.60, Total 90.14
    Sotnikova: SP 28.65, FS 60.63, Total 89.28
    Gold: SP 28.62, FS 60.18, Total 88.80
    Tuktamysheva: SP 27.75, FS 57.14, Total 84.89
    Li: SP 26.55, FS 58.13, Total 84.68

So, there's not much separating the top 4, with the last two being only slightly weaker.

Since we are supposed to be talking Nagasu, her PCS from her two fall GP events were NHK: 28.82 + 59.14 = 87.96 and CoC: 28.72 + 57.81 = 86.53. I think it is only fair here to note that there usually is a certain amount of point creep as the season builds to Worlds.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  4. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

It was Gold's FIRST 4CC, her FIRST Senior ISU Championship, and the FIRST time she had a competition within a week of Nationals. It's pretty hard to peak twice within a week's time. Gao didn't exactly peak at Nationals, and 4CC was her final competition of the year, while Gold still had two to go---Worlds and WTT.

5. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that Gao's first 4CC as well as her first senior ISU Championship (or does the GPF count) and the first time she had a competition within a weak of Nationals as well? Your second statement is correct, of course.