Nadya Sulemon & 12 Kids Fly Business Class

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by sk9tingfan, Jul 10, 2011.

1. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43703220/ns/today-entertainment/

She and Kristen Johnson from Third Rock From the Sun got into an argument on a flight from NYC back to LA because her octuplets were out of control before the plane could take off. Sulemon appeared with her octuplets on Friday. I guess NBC paid the freight for business class! I wonder what she got paid for her appearance and what the total cost of the trip + fee cost NBC. Given her estimate of $15,000 a month to sustain her family, I doubt that their fee did that much good. Or for that matter, whether or not she merited that fee.:(

2. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I think that Ann Curry specifically asked the question - you are not getting paid for this appearance, NBC is not paying for this interview. And Nadya answered that was correct, not getting paid.
    I could be wrong or didn't hear it correctly because I was doing something else at the time and was half paying attention

3. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

I will always be baffled and amazed that these octuplets were born, and appear to still be, healthy and normal.

No thick glasses or worse blindness, no breathing aids, and no other appearance of mental handicap or developmental problems. Looks like one has a stitched up lip, but otherwise those are eight perfectly normal looking and acting children.

So :kickass: to Nadia, or the man upstairs, or who/whatever enabled this rare miracle.

Kristen Johnston. Meh, big deal, even if it's true. Kristen's a hothead. Headphones exist. Unless they're climbing on me, I'd make due. At least she was allowed to disembark and go get another flight back.

4. nypanda

nypanda Well-Known Member

Dude....after reading that story, I can't believe I'm siding with the Octomom... :slinkaway

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

NBC may have not paid for the interview but they may have promised her really nice rooms and business class travel so she would come. I can't blame her, if I wasn't going to be paid and I was going to have to travel with 8 kids (did she bring the others? so maybe more) then they better make it worth my while, somehow!

6. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

What a noisy, busy bunch of toddlers. I found them grating on my nerves just a few minutes into the interview. No matter what you may say about Sulemon, she deserves full points for patience. She's potty training eight little ones at the same time.:eek:

7. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

What choice does she have? Why should she get a pat in the back from the public for doing something that she's supposed to do anyway for a situation that she put herself into.

8. Japanfan

I give credit where credit is due: the fact that she can manage eight toddlers without losing her mind day in day out and be committed to raising her nine kids in total as a single mom is pretty impressive.

As to what choice she has/had, I'm not sure. The doctor who provided her IVF procedure has lost his license, so maybe his practices are questionable and she had a case to sue him? Women who receive IVF don't expect to have eight babies.

It was also her choice and right not to have an abortion, which might have been sensible or desirable to other women given the cost and responsibility of having so many babies.

Perhaps she could have put some of them up for adoption as well. That would have made some childless women or couples very happy and arguably, been better for the children as well.

9. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

She might not have been "paid" for the interview, but she could have been paid for use of photos or loss of work.

10. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

On another forum there was a story recently about airlines that are adopting a "no children" policy for business and first class. The discussion...lively to say the least. I can only imagine how the idea of flying with Octomom and her funny car kids would impact that debate. :lol:

11. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I am too.

Those kids are here and I'm just tired of people beating up on Nadya. I hope she finds a way to make a good living for herself and her children. I hope she finds a nice guy who will love her and the children too but that's sadly a tall order I think.

One of the children has a cleft lip I think but other than that they seem a happy, rambunctious bunch of kids. Perfectly normal. I feel for the older siblings of course.

12. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I agree. She was compensated imo one way or another. :shuffle:

It's like some of the jurors from the Casey Anthony case-I believe I heard on one news feed that apparently one juror had his/her whole family flown to Disney World all expenses paid. I hope Sulemon can work out some deal with an interested network to at least help her out with some of her household expenses.

13. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

ita

she chose to use her uterus like a clown car over and over when she had no job and no partner, i am tired of seeing people on tv whose only talent is their scientifically enhanced fecundity.

14. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Not to derail this thread, but...why would they fly? It's less than a 2 hour drive.

15. Japanfan

How did she pay for the IVF treatment? It doesn't come cheap.

And, it's not her fault that the media started following her around and treating her like a freak show.

16. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

Not sure I agree with that. Didn't she openly express a desire to have a reality show similar to Jon & Kate plus 8? I seem to recall it was her goal to have multiple children by IVF. I believe she welcomed the media attention.

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  17. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

BTW, she has six older children; a total of 14.

18. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Interesting. I hadn't heard this. Will be interesting to see if it goes through. My husband and I flew first class to the UK in April with our 9 month old. I was kind of dreading it at first thinking of the other passengers in case she got fussy, but she more or less slept the whole way there and most of the way back. I'm not sure I'd fly first class with a toddler though. I wouldn't enjoy it and the other passengers wouldn't either.

19. genevieve

http://www.boston.com/travel/blog/2011/06/airline_bans_ba.html

Looks like only Malaysia Airlines has instituted this so far, but there are other airlines considering it - and I was wrong, it's only first class, not business class. The article says the rule is "no babies", but talks about how irritating children are on flights, so I'm not sure what the age cutoff is, or may be for the other airlines considering a similar rule. IME, tiny babies on flights tend to cry mostly on takeoff and landing, the rest of the time they're not doing much. The young kids are more likely to be disruptive, since it's difficult to quietly entertain a young child in a small cramped space for hours on end.

It still doesn't address what happened here, where children in business class were bothering someone in first class.

20. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

And minus a billion points for deliberately choosing to:
    And I'm with Johnson; I'd be pissed if I paid big bucks for a first-class or business-class seat and had to listen to 12 screaming children.

Angela-Fan and (deleted member) like this.
  21. genevieve

But again - Johnson was in first class and Sulemon wasn't. Unless you're flying an airplane that has an actual separate cabin with walls and a door to keep noise from the riff raff out, first class does not guarantee silence from the other parts of the plane.

In general, I like Kristen Johnson as an actress, and I'm no fan of Octomom, but I think Johnson overreacted.

Or not - after all, she chose to leave the plane and (presumably) take a different flight, and if she's got the means to do it, why not.

22. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

NBC should have at least paid some intern to fly around with her and helped her out. Especially if they didn't pay her an appearance fee. They are the ones who asked her for the interview, they could have been far more accommodating since she said yes.

23. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i would have had to leave, just watching the clip at the bottom of the article gave me hives

that's too many kids for one person to fly with properly w/o a case of tylenol PM on hand

24. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

As someone else said, she was almost surely paid for use of pictures or video or even missed work (even if she has no actual job, she could have been trying to make money during that time). Saying they didn't pay for an interview is almost always semantics. They paid for other things, and probably handsomely.

25. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

26. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Donny Osmond was on a TV talk show discussing that very topic. He said that he totally agree with the idea, because people are paying xtra money to be in first class. He pretty much implied that it was ok for people in economy class to have to suffer any insufferable little brats but not the people in 1st class :eek:. I was like, "Wait a minute... I don't want any little brats in the economy class either." LOL.

I'd rather deal with babies crying than have to sit next to a heavy person though. Most babies will stop crying eventually but often time you cannot change your seat.

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

She also had some other appearances in the area. I know she was on the radio promoting some boxing or similar match she was doing. So perhaps NBC paid the airfare, which let her make some more money at other events on the East Coast.

I can understand being annoyed if you were on a plane with her. The clips from the Today Show were annoying to me, but what did Johnson think Ocotomom should do? I'm sure it's not like she wasn't trying, but she just wasn't capable of handling them. At that point, telling her to travel with help isn't going to accomplish anything. But I don't fault Johnson for getting off it worked with her plans.

28. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

Hey, it's not like she has any other way to make a living besides being a K-list celebrity. There was a on post on The Stir, this ridiculous mom blog I read, that had her saying nasty things about her children to some reporter. She seems, um a little stressed. Gee, I wonder why?

29. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I can understand people being and have myself been irritated by screaming children before, but what solutions do you have for people with children who need to travel?

30. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

nyquil