Mysterious Entry in Phil Hersh's Autobiography

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by overedge, Mar 25, 2011.

1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

From the "Biographies" section of the Chicago Tribune website:

And from the bio on his blog:

I've searched on several sites online and can find nothing about this publication, not even an active website. Most of the Google hits are for an organization called SportIntern that was involved in workers' sports in the 1930s, or hits referring back to Phil's biography. This site indicates that there was a US trademark application for a magazine by that name, published by a German company, but it's been cancelled:
    http://www.trademarkia.com/sport-intern-73493745.html

Does anyone know anything more about this publication?
  2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Perhaps a German speaker could Google it to help solve the mystery?
  3. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

:sekret:

I did some investigating and found this!

Perhaps Phil, who is no doubt reading this, could post something on his Twitter feed. :)
  4. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

The FSU detectives have a new case to solve!

ETA: Apparently, "Sports Intern" is a German newletter published in English by Karl-Heinz Huba.
    It's a subscriber-only emailed newsletter that is sent out 3 or more times each week.

BBC Article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/panorama/4652319.stm

This is an article from 5/2010: http://assets.usta.com/assets/1/UST...STA/Document Assets/sport_intern_20100529.pdf
    (Hosted on the US Tennis Association website - subscription information in the footing.)
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  5. neptune

neptune New Member

"Karl-Heinz Huba"? Wait a minute--isn't that the nickname Phil's old college buddies used to call him??? :eek: ;)

Well, this is definitely a riveting mystery. :watch: My advice: Keep your eyes on the butler, because that's where the action is going to be next. :D
  6. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

That would explain the Munich newsletter written in English, but wouldn't someone have ratted him out, like the BBC or the US Tennis Assoc?
  7. neptune

neptune New Member

I was only kidding about the nickname, but it wouldn't surprise me if there's some cronyism going on here. I'd also like to know how many "subscribers" the newsletter has. More than the speed limit, I wonder? ;)
  8. geod2

geod2 New Member

:watch: My advice: Keep your eyes on the butter (it's a lot more interesting). :)

-
  9. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

After meeting Phil a few years ago and observing his d0ucheb@ggery first hand, I wouldn't put it past him to fluff his own feathers any way he can, even if it means false credentials.