My Oscar Party menu...ideas/suggestions

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Icetalavista, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Icetalavista

Icetalavista Active Member

So far I have these things planned for my Oscar Party:
    Jambalaya of the Southern Wild
    Silver Lining Cupcakes (I wanted to make those steak rolls, or whatever the mom made, but when I google "homemades", it says noodles...any Philly folks, help me here...). I don't like crab, so ixnay on the Crabby Snacks.
    Absolutely mARGOless baba ghanoush, or some other Iranian treat

other ideas?

2. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

3. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

You could make a Life of "Pie" ;)

White layer cake for Django Unchained

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

"Beasts of the Southern Wild" Wild Boar Short Ribs

"Silver Linings Playbook" Banana Splits

"Zero Dark Thirty" Zero Bars and Coke Zero

"Lincoln" Lincoln Logs

"Les Miserables" French Crepes with nothing in them. Or, a loaf of bread.

"Life of Pi" Tiger Shrimp

"Amour" Mon Amour (It's a mixed drink)

"Django Unchained" Black & Whites (cookies)

"Argo" Just set out the container of Argo starch

5. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

HA HA:lol:

6. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

It's not specifically themed, but I made red (carpet) velvet cupcakes with gold sprinkles for my friend's Oscar party last year. :)

7. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Oooh... good idea! Our Oscar party isn't big (just Mr. Habs and I and a couple of friends), but I think I'll make some of those this year. :swoon:

8. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

My friend is one of the event producers for the Governor's Ball, the official party after the Oscar's. His company's website has a few of the recipes, including the smoked salmon and caviar pizza from Wolfgang Puck and the Oscar's fudge that they serve every year.

9. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

That fudge sounds more like a flourless cake. I make around 6 lbs. of fudge every year for Christmas and the condensed milk (or evaporated milk, whichever recipe I use), has to be cooked with the sugar for at least 15 minutes (about 240º with a candy thermometer). then you add the vanilla, chocolate, etc. Most recipes do not recommend using a microwave for chocolate, it dries it out.

10. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

This thread has Jenny written all over it - where is she? ;)

11. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Sounds great!

12. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Fresh water and biscuits for Life of Pi, ;).

Seriously though, the nominated movies this year make it really easy to come up with an Oscar Party menu considering a lot of the movies mention or show food throughout.

13. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

(((Habs))) I'm here, and taking notes :)

The movies don't inspire me this year from a food perspective, so I was thinking of something a little more elegant as a contrast to the delicious crap we have for Super Bowl. I have bookmarked the fudge recipe that reckless provided - thank you for sharing that! Otherwise I'm thinking Champagne and a series of little canapes.

14. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

:cheer2:

15. cruisin

Jenny, have you ever had Prosecco? It is Italian Champagne. Much less expensive for a great bottle. Won't compete with the $80 bottle of Champagne. But, the $10 - $12 bottle of Prosecco is better than most $30 bottles of Champagne.

16. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Yes - in fact although I don't otherwise drink wine, once I developed a taste for Champagne I quickly discovered prosecco, and cava as well. There are also a lot of excellent sparkling wines from California that are not allowed to be called Champagne but are just as good, and priced somewhere in that very large gap between the "real thing" and its far less expensive Italian and Spanish counterparts. And you'll die when I tell you the price difference here - a bottle of Moet or Veuve here costs TWICE what I paid when I was living in NY - about $65 a bottle, as opposed to prosecco, which is never more than about $14.

Oh yes my friend, prosecco and I are well acquainted :)

17. cruisin

:) I LOVE it!

Champagne can only be called Champagne if it's from the Champagne region of France (you probably know that :)). I've had excellent Cava. It seems a bit sweeter than Prosecco, though just a tiny bit.

First time I had Prosecco was in Italy. We were in Venice and went to Harry's Bar and had the famous Belini (Prosecco with pureed white peach). It was amazing! Then I had some Prosecco without the peach, just as amazing. They told us, in Italy that they use some of their best white grapes for their Proseccos. I find them to be lighter and less foamy than Champagne.

I was in Sonoma about a two years ago. Had a wonderful white sparkling wine. I forget what they called, but it was quite similar to Prosecco.

18. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I make a fudge with condensed milk and chocolate chips that takes about 5 minutes to make. It definitely does not have the consistency of flourless chocolate cake. I melt the chips, condensed milk, a tiny bit of vanillla and a pinch of salt together until the chips are fully melted. It's great fudge.

Also, that recipe is from Sherry Yard, a James Beard-award winning pastry chef. After looking over her bio, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say that she probably knows the difference between fudge and flourless chocolate cake.

19. cruisin

I have made many kinds of fudge. Some call for melting the chocolate (though never in a microwave) and then adding ingredients. Most call for making the candy base and melting the chocolate by adding it to the boiling hot candy. The recipes where I melt the chocolate first always get an oily residue on top, which I have to blot off. The candy method is always perfect. But, it takes a lot more time.

I am sure that Ms. Yard knows the difference between fudge and a flourless cake. But, it may be that she wants the fudge less soft, in order to cut the statuettes and not have them droop.

20. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

21. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Or if you want something more substantial, mini Philly cheesesteak sliders. The movie is quite Philadelphia so that would fit nicely.

22. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

No suggestions--just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed reading this thread and how jealous I am of your guests Icetalavista! Please tell us the details afterward too.