My Mother Has Been Diagnosed With Lung Cancer

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Whitneyskates, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

A couple weeks ago, my Mom was diagnosed with Lung Cancer. The good news, however,is that it was caught very early. It is stage 1 and a PET scan revealed that it has not spread. According to her Doctor, the tumor is around 2cm and will be easy to remove. She is having surgery Tuesday and her Doctor is very confident that she will make a full recovery.

Needless to say, my family is pretty relieved that it was caught so early. The cancer was found by accident and what can only be described as a blessing in disguise. My Mom has never suffered any type of injury in her life, but she somehow managed to tear her rotator cuff, and during pre-op x-rays, the spot was found. My mom is a very healthy woman otherwise and there would have been no reason to do such tests had it not been for her injury. Her Doctors have told her how lucky she is because sadly, most cases of lung cancer aren't found till they are in advanced stages when treatment options are limited.

This has been the scariest thing I have ever exeperienced. Just hearing someone say that your parent has cancer is a feeling that I can't even describe. I really have no idea what I would without my Mom but thankfully, it seems that it will be a long time before I find out.

2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

((((((((((((Whitneyskates))))))))) Your mom will be in my thoughts and prayers.

3. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry and glad they caught it early! My friend's mother had lung cancer caught in Stage 1, and she's successfully recovered and healthy 15 years later.

4. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

(((Whitneyskates))) Somebody up there is surely watching over your mother and your family. Hope she recovers well!

5. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I am so sorry about your mother's diagnosis, Whitneyskates. It's a tough thing to deal with, for her and for everyone close to her. It is very, very fortunate that it was caught early; that's often not the case. I hope she will make a complete recovery.

6. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Very sorry to hear about this diagnosis, but thank goodness it was discovered @ this early stage. May she recover completely!

7. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

^^ This
    and this >> (((((Whitneyskates)))))

8. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Yay for a torn rotator cuff!! Boy does that sound strange or what? Here's hoping for a full recovery, Whitneyskates.

9. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

God bless you and your family. It is very scary, but it sounds like they found it early and there is every indication that she will have an excellent prognosis. All the best with the surgery.

10. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Thoughts and prayers for a full recovery to your mom.

11. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

(((Whitneyskates)))

It must be very scary to hear this. However, my hair stylist was diagnosed with lung cancer last year and now she has fully recovered.

Best wishes to your mom for a full recovery.

12. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

(((Whitneyskates & family)))) Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery!

13. Whitneyskates

It does, I never thought I would be happy that my Mom sustained a painful injury!

Thanks everyone for the well wishes :)

14. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your Mom but happy that it was caught early. A close friend of mine was diagnosed with
    stage 1 lung cancer 2 years ago. She was treated successfully and I am happy to say that we all danced at her wedding in October
    of this year. I will say a prayer for a full and speedy recovery for your Mom.

15. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

My father died from throat cancer, so I know what you are feeling. I'm so glad that your mother's was detected early and that her chances are very good. Prayers for you all.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. doubleturn

doubleturn Rinkside on my iPhone

(((Whitneyskates)))). Like kittyjake5, I'm sorry to hear about your Mom but definitely happy that it was caught early. My brother was diagnosed with Stage 4 Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma 17 years ago (spread to liver, spleen and 3 lobes of his left lung), had his transplant 16 years ago (after 12 rounds of chemo) and is still with us today. It took over 1 year to get to that point, so being caught early is very good. My thoughts are with your family.

17. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

Wow, whoever thought we'd celebrate a torn rotator cuff! Sorry your mum has cancer, even if it was caught early. I wish her the best.

18. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

(((Whitneyskates))) So glad that it was caught early (in stage 1), and hadn't progressed yet. You, your family and your mom will be in my thoughts & prayers. Hug!

19. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Joining my prayers and best wishes to all those already being sent to your mom, Whitneyskates.

20. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Mine too!

21. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I'm so glad it was caught early! ((HUGS)) to Whitneyskates, mom, and family!

22. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

"Cancer" must be one of the most frightening words in the English language. But I am among those who says thank goodness for torn rotator cuffs!!!?????!!!! I hope she recovers well and completely.

23. figuristka

figuristka Member

Whitneyskates hope everything goes well for your mom. We all send our best wishes. My dad recently was diagnosed with hodgkins lymphoma and had one chemo treatment so far.Thankfully the pet scan showed stage 1 also. Its hard at Christmas to be cheerful as i care about him so much. He's doing fine at the moment though. I find watching figure skating helps me forget about worrying at least for awhile. hug

24. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

(((Whitneyskates and family)))

You have my thoughts and prayers. I am so glad it was caught early, and it has not spread.

25. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

Sending prayers.

26. Whitneyskates

Thank you everyone for the prayers and well wishes. My Mom's surgery went great. They were able to completely remove the cancer and she should be home in about 5 days. :)

27. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

(((((Whitneyskates)))))
    What great news!

28. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

If you celebrate Christmas - what a nice present. :)

29. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Such wonderful news!

30. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Great news!!