My GoFundMe campaign

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AlexDSSF, Mar 2, 2013.

1. AlexDSSF

AlexDSSF Member

Hey, everyone. It's been some time since I posted, let alone started a thread on FSUniverse.

Last month, I started a GoFundMe campaign (similar to those on Kickstarter and IndieGoGo). I'm a budding writer, and these days I'm going through serious writer's block. So, I need to break out of this rut. I came up with the idea of a "poetic road trip" across the United States and Canada, wherein I go across North America and write poems along the way. Granted, it's not as interesting as other crowd-funding campaigns out there, but it could be worse. I've seen crowd-funding campaigns for breast implants, and the fundraisers don't even have breast cancer!

So far, it's been a hell of a struggle just to get the word out. I've promoted it on my blogs, on Facebook, and on Twitter, but my networks in that regard are not able to contribute. I understand that times are tough, and I should know: I live with my retired parents, I've had mental health and emotional problems for years, I can't find work (not even at restaurants, which are increasingly demanding 3 years experience for dish-washing and bussing jobs) and just today I applied for food stamps.

There are times when I wonder if all this is for naught. Writing is the only thing that I know how to do, and I want to have a career doing it, even though it's not as lucrative as other professions. And then there are times when I'm pissed off that people who don't deserve it are demanding and making huge sums of money, and it only makes me more determined to push through. Just recently, Lindsay Lohan demanded $500,000 in exchange for flying to the United Arab Emirates to promote an energy drink. I've had problems with money over the years, but at least I'm not Lindsay Lohan.

Anyway, if you want to know more about my campaign, you can visit http://www.gofundme.com/2131qk and read all about it. I even have a YouTube video about my campaign. The descriptions and the video are pretty long, so you may want to pop some popcorn. Thanks. :)

2. backspin

backspin Active Member

Yours is an interesting idea, i hope you get to go on your trip. I currently have a gofundme page to fundraise for medical expenses (currently in treatment for cancer) and it's been a godsend. Crowdfunding is a really cool concept. Good luck!