My dog died yesterday

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cupid, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

I tried to help her, took her to the vet, but in the end, I watched her take her last breath. This all happened in about a 15-hour span, unbelievable!

She was my best friend, my walking buddy, I had her for 10 years and she was perfectly healthy. She lived out the average life span for her breed, but I was hoping to get a few more years at least out of her.

Hug your pet for me today. Don't take them for granted. Mine went so fast.

:(

2. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

I'm sorry for your loss. :(

3. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

So hard to lose a pet, regardless of age. ((((Cupid))))

4. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

Thank you. Tears keep coming. I think of all the good times we had and could have had.

Someone wants me to go shoppoing with them today. Maybe I should go just to get away from the house. I see all her treats sitting in a jar, what do I do? Put them away, leave them out? I still hung her stocking on the mantel like I've always done. Her bed is still next to my bed. What do I do with that?

I just can't believe she's gone! It was like one moment she's here, and the next -- Poof -- gone!

5. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. Devastating to lose a companion. Hugs to you.

6. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

We lost our beagle, Luke last summer. I know how difficult this is for you. I will keep you in my prayers.

7. Sk8fun

Sk8fun Active Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. Some people don't understand that losing a much loved pet is losing a member of your family. I'll give my dog Charlie an extra hug today and think of you.

8. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for your loss, Cupid. :(

9. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I'm really sorry for your loss, cupid. You are lucky to have had such a wonderful relationship with your dog, but that's exactly why you hurt so much today. Try to remember all the good times you had during your 10 years together, and keep her always in your heart.

10. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

I'm sorry.

11. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Cupid -- I'm so sorry. It sounds like you were really, really good for each other, and the sudden loss is such a shock. How lucky that you picked each other. Hugs to you.

12. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

The family has had that happen several times in the last few years. It is never a happy time. My condolences to you.

NJL

13. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about your loss. When I lost my dog, I gave his (unopened) treats and dog food to the local shelter--that made me feel a bit better. I still have his bed and stocking.

14. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

I'm very sorry. :(

15. KatieC

KatieC Well-Known Member

(((Cupid))) I'm so sorry for your loss. It hurts to lose a friend.

16. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Cupid, my heart just aches for you! I have had too much experience with losing my darling pets over the past few years because I adopted a bunch of cats who weren't that far apart in age, so they all went on me one after the other over a short time span, though I had them for 21-13 years. It's awful. I lost my precious Bandit last January, and if I think about it, I still tear up. He was my best friend.

I only know what works for me, and you need to do what you feel comfortable doing. However, if it were me, I would go shopping. I have always found distraction to be good for me when dealing with grief or unpleasant events. Buy yourself something pretty! It isn't being shallow or unfeeling-believe me, the grief will return soon enough, but you will have rested your soul a little in the meantime by focusing on something else.

When I lost my babies, I usually had been nursing them through illness, so as soon as they were gone, I got rid of everything that reminded me of the ordeal-mostly the meds, special foods, jars, etc. Actually, I have had all my pets cremated, and I have a cabinet full of special little urns that go back 20 years. It is a comfort to me-they're still here with me-kind of!

17. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

I'm so sorry for your loss :(
    Dogs are real family members and I am already scared of the day our dog is going to leave us.
    He turned 11 recently and this year has been very rough for him and I can't imagine how to live without him someday.

18. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I'm glad she had you.

19. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

:fragile: So sorry, A lot of people know exactly how you feel right now. Our pets are our children.

20. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

This!
    (((((Cupid)))))

21. Citlali

Citlali Well-Known Member

Cupid, I´m so sorry for your lost, I completely understand what you are going through :(

This is a very good idea, just keep something especial and the rest donate, I think it may help you to know that her things are helping other dogs.

22. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

((cupid))

23. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

(((Cupid)))

24. Sarah

Sarah Active Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's never easy and you can never prepare. (((cupid))

25. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

I'm terribly sorry about you dog, Cupid. :( It sounds like she meant a lot to you, and I'm sure you gave her a great life.

26. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry Cupid *hugs*

27. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

Aww, I'm so sorry for your loss. She had a good friend in you. (((Cupid)))

28. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Cupid, I am sorry for your loss.

29. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Cupid, I am so sorry to hear about your dog. That is so sad.

30. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

She was the best dog. I got so many compliments on her from strangers. She never barked, never went potty in the house, never destroyed anything, just the perfect dog.

We went through so much together this summer. We had to move from a house she grew up in, with a huge yard with a wooded area where she spent most of her days exploring and running, to a small, cramped apartment where she had to be on a leash outside at all times. She began to like walking through new neighborhoods after a while. At first, she seemed frantically looking for her old house, pulling me on the leash from house to house that looked like hers, it broke my heart. We lived there for 3 months as I continued to search for a suitable house for us. It was just her and me at that point.

Well, I found the house but it had a small, fenced-in yard. She liked the freedom of the yard, but seemed disappointed with the fence. I remember her running up to it and looking back at me as if to say, "what is this?" I said, "it's the best I could do!".

So here we were in our new home with a yard for 6 weeks, and now she's gone. Never thought this would happen.

Thanks for all your condolences and kind words. They are so appreciated. (sorry for the rambling)