My current pet peeve

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by judiz, Oct 8, 2011.

1. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I am expanding mine to include the automated sub finder system which placed me to sub today in Industrial Arts (woodworking and welding classes with juvenile delinquents) while there is a big burly dude subbing in the regular art room next door, and someone else subbing in social studies, which I used to teach.

Only one hour to go, or I'd be asking if one of you could come and kill me.

Oh...and another pet peeve: husbands who drink all the sparkling water and other beverages in individual containers so that the only choices I had to bring here for lunch were a soda or a beer. I never drink soda. But I'm drinking it right now. And given these classes, I should have just brought beer.

(Seriously, I usually don't mind subbing but this is awful!)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

((((((((((PDilemma)))))))))))))

PDilemma and (deleted member) like this.
  3. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Thank you. I'm home now. Having a nice snack and some juice. Trying to decompress so I can do my own homework.

The best part of it was that the teacher had a fourth block plan which meant I got to leave at 1:45. The secretary recognizes the problem with the sub finder system placing subs badly but the admins have told her to absolutely not switch subs around. I'm hoping at some point that the teachers will mutiny about it and she will get permission to make switches when there are multiple subs in the building and switches would make sense. I should have been in social studies today, the big guy should have been in industrial tech (seriously, he was at least 6'6"--he could have shut them down easier than me!), and whoever was in social studies could have taken art.

I was in Spanish once (which I do not speak) while a Spanish speaking sub was in science and there was no sub in English (which I taught for 16 years). Moving the Spanish speaker to Spanish, me to English and letting staff cover science would have led to better instruction in 2 of 3 classrooms, but they wouldn't let her do it. :rolleyes:

4. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Definitely a problem in the schools. As a teacher, I have always tried to make plans as detailed as possible with extra work for the kids, just in case a sub manages to get to everything in the plan. There should be more common sense in assigning subs to subjects/grades in which they are certified/experienced.

Another pet peeve - getting calls during dinnertime for donations (and we are on that National Do Not Call list).

5. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

From another message board I read, I've discovered a new pet peeve: people who refuse to use the multiquote function. So they will respond to other people's posts one at a time, in succession, in a thread. What could be done in one post, can take five. :blah: :confused:

6. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

:slinkaway

I still don't know how to use the multiquote function. If I use multiple quotes in a post I cut and past them into one.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

7. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

To the right of the quote button is a button that has the symbol ". Click that for each post you want to quote. For the last one click the regular quote button. Voila!

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  8. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I did not know that ... guess you CAN learn something new every day :D

9. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

But at least you put them all in ONE message. I've seen person A reply to person B in one post; person A reply to person C in another post; person A reply to person D in yet another post, person A reply to person E in another separate post, etc., in the same thread.

Using the multiquote function is just faster; but you were already doing that with cut and paste anyway.