My cousin was brutally murdered

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Smiley0884, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 New Member

I was going to comment in the Trayvon Martin thread, but figured it was too OT....

My cousin in Puerto Rico got into an argument with another man over a PARKING SPOT, and was brutally shot to death. He probably should have just walked away from the situation, but he was unarmed, they were simply in a heated argument and then he was suddenly shot dead. Wendy's has video surveillance but they some how managed to "lose" the video. :rolleyes: They're covering up the crime because the shooter is affiliated with a prominent organized crime gang. The police have done nothing and will do nothing. A man is DEAD and the cops won't even bat an eyelash.

After following the Treyvon Martin case so closely I'm just absolutely stunned. It's so crazy to see these types of things happen on the news, and a few weeks later my cousin has lost his life over a parking spot. Something so silly, so trivial. Why would any one take someone's life over something so minuscule?

I did a search for news articles since every thing I know has been word of mouth from family members. I came up with nothing. Zero. I don't expect this to be world wide news, there are so many atrocities that go on in this world, I know that the news can't possibly cover them all. But NOTHING even from the local PR news?! I always thought my mother was being a bit hyperbolic when she went on about the crime and corruption in PR, but now I really do believe her...Crime in Latin America seems to be getting worse and worse. It's such a shame because PR has so much to offer, and doesn't need these ugly people dragging everyone else down. I'm still in shock...most of all because I don't understand how someone can be so cruel to end someone's life in the flash of an instant because they wanted their parking spot. :mad:

Eden, Really, michaelfsfan and 21 others like this.
  2. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

This news took my breath away, I am so terribly sorry for your loss.

What a horrible thing to have happened. Were you close?

3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

(((((Smiley)))))

I am so sorry. This must be difficult beyond words. My sympathies to you and your family.

4. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I'm so sorry, Smiley. Condolences to you and your family. :(

5. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

How horrendous! I'm so sorry for your family's loss. Is there nothing more anyone can do?

6. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss. My condolences to you & your family.

7. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

How horrible! My heart is with you. Hugs!

8. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

That's so awful, there are no words. My heart goes out to you and your family.

9. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Smiley, that is awful, awful news. Condolences to you and your family.
    The local cops won't do anything? I can only imagine the grief and rage you and your family must feel.
    Since Puerto Rico is considered US territory, can you involve the feds??

10. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

I am so sorry, smiley. My condolences.

11. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

How awful. I'm so sorry, Smiley0884. :(

12. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I'm really sorry for your loss. Sadly, this is not uncommon in PR (where I currently reside). We broke all records last year with our homicide rate and this year it's not much better. Our police force is incredibly corrupt and under federal investigation for civil rights violations. You can find the scathing report in the NY Times.

You guys need to apply pressure at the top. Was your cousin Puerto Rican, or from the continental US? I'm asking because we've had a few prominent cases involving non-Puerto Ricans which have been resolved because of the pressure applied from the US.

If you're looking for news on the internet, you probably won't find much. Our online news services pretty much suck- people here still love the newspapers. If you want, you can give me the date of the incident and I can look up a hard copy of any article for you.

13. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

I am so sorry for you & your family's loss.

How horrible.

There is so much senseless crime in this world.

You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

14. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

The triviality of life that some people subscribe to never fails to astound me. I was reading an article tweeted by Roger Ebert about the death of a little girl in Detroit. Her death specifically was a tragic accident, but it was precipitated (as is not unusual in violent cultures common in east side Detroit) by her uncle shooting a teenager in cold blood for "looking at him wrong." The guy had gone back home to get some buddies and a gun to "show the kid a lesson" and the first thing they do is shoot the teen point blank in the chest.

http://motherjones.com/politics/2010/11/aiyana-stanley-jones-detroit

(((Smiley))) I know this might of little comfort, but I wonder if such cultures of violence and corruption are so engrained that it can only be solved by literally nuking everything and starting over. It is just so senseless.

Smiley0884 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

So sorry for your lose {{{{{Smiley and family}}}}

16. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

There is just so much violence in this world it is hard to know what to do.

A few years back, our family had to deal with this also.

Someone who was like family to us had an argument with his step-son over using the phone. After he went to bed, the boy got a gun and shot him in the back as he slept. The boy was only 12 years old.

What makes a 12 year old think this way!!! Also, why was a gun so easy for him to get!! They tried him as an adult, and he will spend the rest of his life in prison. All over using the telephone.

17. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

How hideously awful and senseless. Smiley, I'm so sorry. I hope your cousin gets justice.
    :(

18. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

That's horrible. I'm so sorry.

19. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I am so sorry, Smiley.

20. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

How dreadful. My condolences to you and your family.

21. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

So, so very sorry for you and your family. I hope you can be comforted by good memories of your cousin.

I have to agree with many of you. When did life become so cheap to people? When did a "diss" become a reason to kill? There are just no words...:(

22. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

Smiley, that is awful. I'm so, so sorry. It's impossible to make sense of violence like this, and it must be so hard for your family to emotionally deal with it when it appears that there will be no justice.

23. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

((((Smiley and family)))) I am so sorry for your loss.

An old college chum of mine was murdered a number of years back while on vacation in PR. He was 29. Similar to your cousin's situation, the authorities took little interest in finding the killer and it took my friend's parents being down there and a lot of pressure from their lawyer to get anything done. The horrific nature of the crime was just compounded by the apparent indifference of the authorities. (He was gay, by the way; not sure whether that contributed to the authorities' lack of zeal, but it was the reason he was murdered.)

24. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

(((Smiley))) I'm so sorry for your loss. :( Being of Puerto Rican background as well the high murder rate sickens me. A lot of times it's over drugs but other times it's just senseless like this. I don't have huge confidence in the authorities either, but the number of cases can't help.

Again, my condolences to you and your family.

25. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

This is just horrible. Even more so since it seems it's all that unusual from other posters have said...((Smiley))

26. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

Smiley, I am so very sorry. :(

27. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

So very sorry.

28. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

(((((Smiley)))))
    I'm so very sorry for your loss.

29. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member