My cat may be sick.

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Spiralgraph, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

Hugs to Runcible. Once the antibiotics kick in, he should improve quickly. My 2 males have gone on renal food and never had UTIs again. My vet also suggested adding water to their food.

2. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Major hugs to you - my Charlie Brown will be boarding with our vet for a while as his cholangitis (gall bladder infection) and pancreatitis calms down. He is diabetic, so not eating is very bad for him. Our local vet emergency center was a godsend as this all came down on Sunday. He is doing better on antibiotics, but need to get him extra care. We have another cat, and he doesn't want to be around her right now, so a little more time "in-hospital" is the best thing.

Hugs and prayers for Runcible. Agree that when the antibiotics kick in, he should do better and eat.

Edited to add: Always get a sick kitty checked out after that first 24 hours. Our vet pointed out that cats tend to hide their illness until they really are sick. As for dogs, he said "Dogs are like husbands, they let you know they're sick right away..." :D

3. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

((((((Spiralgraph)))))) UTIs are very common in male cats. Fortunately, you acted swiftly and your cat is getting the care he needs. You'll probably need to switch his food after this, but that's a minor matter. I hope he recovers quickly.

4. Patsy

Patsy Active Member

Cats are masters at hiding when they don't feel well, so when you can *tell* something's wrong, it's WRONG! Glad Runcible is at the vets and they're doing what they can for him.

5. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

This.

When one my cats had a UTI he recovered well.

6. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I wonder how you our managing the diabetes?

We had a diabetic dog Maia and cat Ohenry at the same time, odd. Maia (lab shepherd cross) lived for four years after diagnosis, blind for most of them. She was down for the count so many times but always pulled through - we put her to sleep at 14 after her hind legs failed her. Regulating her insulin and blood sugar was a challenge the whole time and we only managed because we could test her.

Ohenry didn't make it because we couldn't test his blood sugar - there was just nowhere on his body he would accept the skin being pricked. Cats are more difficult than dogs so far as I know. I do know someone who kept her diabetic cat alive for quite a few years, but she was able to test regularly. On top of that she spent about $500 per month at the vet for the duration of the cat's illness, not sure why but regular antibiotics was part of the program.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  7. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Antibiotics can work wonders. Prayers for Runcible and you from my kitties and me.

8. Civic

Civic New Member

I hope Runcible makes a complete recovery. May I ask where you found his name?

9. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Two of my cats, both male, have had UTI´s and the antibiotics helped. So, Runcible will very surely be ok again. They may order a special diet and ask you to keep him active.
    Hugs to both of you!

10. Spiralgraph

Spiralgraph Active Member

I'm a Dr Who fan and Runcible was the name of a character in one of the shows in the 1970s.

No change in Runcible as of last night. I'll know more this afternoon. Thanks for all the good thoughts, everyone.

11. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I hope he feels better soon! My cat I had growing up used to get UTIs and bladder infections every so often and antibiotics did wonders, I hope the same happens for you and Runcible.

12. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Diet only at this time, prescription Purina DM (dietetic management) wet cat food only for both cats, no kibble, CB can't have carbs -Purina DM is "all meat" and seems to work very well, but you have to get it through your vet. Seemed to be working, he was spilling less sugar in the urine. Vet just checking him via urine tests, he tends toward conservative management. Charlie loves the food and was doing better. Not sure what led to the current situation, no direct link to the diabetes.

13. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

More good thoughts and wishes coming from me and my cats. A lot of good advice here.

14. Spiralgraph

As of last night, Runcible's temperature is down and he's eating. :)

But they took an ultrasound and a lymph node in his groin area looks enlarged, so they're doing a biopsy. I won't have results until Tuesday.I'm staying positive.

But he'll be able to come home either today or tomorrow, most likely. :)

Thanks, everybody.

15. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Eating is great sign. :)

Try not to worry about the lymph node. He obviously just had an infection of some sort, so it's not entirely out of the ordinary for his lymph node to be enlarged. It's prudent to check it out but it's likely nothing.

16. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Runcible! :cheer:

17. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

ITA. Swollen lymph nodes are common with infections. But, it's good that your vet is taking the steps to make sure there isn't another, far less likely, cause.

I'm glad Runcible is feeling better. I'm sure he'll be happy to be back home with you.

18. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Best wishes for Runcible's continued recovery!

19. Spiralgraph

Runcible is now home with me. :D

My family and I have to give him oral antibiotics for two weeks,but so far everything is good! I'm altering his diet to give him more canned food, hopefully that will prevent any recurrences

Thanks everyone, you are all the best.

CynicElle and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

Great news!!

21. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

Good news! Wishing you both only good times now. :cat::)

22. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Fantastic news! :cat:

One other thing, if you're going to start giving him wet food, I find that it's best to just switch completely if he accepts the change. I've read that dry food is harder to digest for cats, and they don't make short-term adjustments between the two very well. When I run out of wet food and I'm forced to use the dry food I haven't yet donated to the shelter to have something to feed Mickey, he always throws it up the first day.

23. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I've been following the thread and am happy to hear the good news! :cheer2: :cat:

24. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Great to hear that your little guy is home. Just make sure you feed him that wet food with a runcible spoon. ;)

25. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I would switch to a food that specifically says "helps balance urinary PH." Also, adding cranberry supplements (Tractor Supply Company, among others, carries a gel in the cat section) that helps prevent infections and crystals. I also feed their store-brand "premium", 4Life, dry kibble. Jet hasn't had any problems since (he also does well, as far as dry goes, with 9 Lives Plus Care--again, says 'helps maintain urinary PH' on the bag.) The other cats also eat the 'special' foods without an issue. Well, Marcus still gets hairballs, but that's because he eats hair off the floor. He's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

26. CarolineL

CarolineL Member

My cats get a spoonful of wet food morning and evening (breakfast and dinner) and have dry available in their dishes. The vet told me right off the bat that my male cat would need that to keep him from getting UTI's. Glad to hear Runcible is on the mend!

27. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Yay Runcible!! Go kitty!