My cancer situation

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Spazactaz, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

Two more days and then you'll be closer to home, family, friends and your puppy! I hope the transport happens with a minimum of pain and having all your loved ones with you brings you more rest and comfort.

2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

((((Jesse))))
    Seconding the above post.

3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Good morning, Jesse. I hope you had a restful night. I hope you have a better day than yesterday.

Hugs.

4. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

Yeah the tentative plan is to send me via ambulance on Friday to the hospital back home.
    I've just still been soooo exhausted. Physio kills me. For some reason I can't sleep either. The pain has been a bit better. Today is my last radiation treatment!! It will be my 53rd total I believe... insane!
    Thanks again for all the continued awesome support! <3

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  5. skatesindreams

You are more than welcome, Jesse.
    I wish that I could do more.

6. RickInSanJose

RickInSanJose Active Member

Something you mentioned in your first post caught my attention: "The doctor says I have "months" to live." Well I say, don't accept this! As I've come to learn all too well in my own life, doctors most definitely are not Gods. For example, thirty years ago, when I was twenty-nine, a doctor solemnly announced that I would need a Pacemaker within three years. Thirty years later, no pacemaker, and my heart is fine. (As for my mind...well, that's another story! :lol:)

I've also heard countless stories throughout my life of very ill people who had "only months to live," but who recovered and went on to live full, long lives.

For example, I know of a lady who suffered a massive stroke at age thirty-two. Her prognosis was grim. However -- she DID recover, and went on to live a completely normal life, only finally passing away fifty-nine years later, at age NINETY-ONE.

My hope for you, then, backed up by the very real possibility, is that you will be posting on FSU about the ISU (Interplanetary Skating Union) near the end of this century.

Warmest wishes,
    Rick

7. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

:cheer: for the end of radiation!

Hate that feeling of being exhausted and yet not able to sleep (of course, it's hard to sleep in a hospital, so. . . . ). Hoping the move is smooth and you'll continue to feel less pain and enjoy friends and family more.

8. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

I hope you didn't mind me updating your worried "mother hens' upthread, Jesse, but I'm sure there are times you just get tired of talking about it, and I know you need to rest....you have a birthday party to plan, donchaknow? ;)

9. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

Sleeping in hospitals is next to impossible. I spent a lot of time in one myself over the past fall/winter and everything from the awful plastic mattresses, to nurses coming to check on me, to other patients kept me from sleeping. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that they kick you out of your home town hospital really quickly because I'm sure your own home is where you'll rest the best!

10. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

Hello Jesse, Thank you for posting again today. Good to hear from you. You continue to be in all our thoughts. Hope you have the energy to do something that would be pleasant, like watching your fave skaters on YT or playing with the doggy when you see her again.

11. CanuckSk8r

CanuckSk8r New Member

Sending my thoughts to you as well Jesse. I hope you are able to find some pain relief and sleep so your body can continue to fight. You must be so happy to be going closer to home and of course Porki!

Cancer is such an evil bastard. Le sigh.

12. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Hey Spaz. I'm so glad that you will soon be closer to home. You will definitely be in a 'TGIF' mode at the end of this week if your transfer goes through. :)

13. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

Today I've had the 2 worst nurses during my entire 10 days here so far. I fought with this older male one the entire time... and kept telling him to STOP moving me without even telling me etc.. because that's what sends me into excruciating pain, but he just wouldn't stop.. he was soooooooooo rude. And now I have another absolutely terrible one. I just can't handle being so frustrated all the time ahhhhhhhh /rant.

And no worries Kim about updating for me. :)
    BittyBug your flowers are awesome! <3 No idea what to expect of the hospital at home but I just hope it's anything better than this!
    Thank you allll!

ETA - I may not have internet after tonight.. it expires at midnight, so depending on if the volunteers are around tomorrow to get me a new username/password that may be why there's no other replies from me for a while!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  14. halffull

halffull halffull kind of day

Sorry the nurses today have seems so uncaring. Compassion should be top of the list for all nurses. It's not an easy job but there is no need to be rude to patients. I hope you get the internet sorted out for post midnight. Hoping you get some much needed rest tonight Jesse :)

15. KCC

KCC Active Member

Sending more positive thoughts your way. Our collective wish for you includes pain relief and better sleep and much better medical staff -- please let us know, if you can, how things go at your "close to home" hospital. Can you feel any benefit from the physical therapy? Sometimes, pain means gain, but sometimes pain is just pain. I sure hope there is a strong benefit.

What can we do for you? Anything you need or want? Calls, letters, info, stuff, or just messaging through FSU. Please don't hesitate to ask!

16. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

(((((((( HUGS )))))))) to you, Jesse!!!!!!!

O-

17. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

I've been calling for help for over 2 hours now and my nurse just won't come. This sucks so bad. :(

Otherwise nothing I can think of that I need or want though.

18. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Oh, hell! I wish I were there to go get them for you. This must be the hardest time to get their attention. : (

I found your thread by accident - I never read this part of the forum - and was terribly sorry to learn of your situation. You are so honest and brave and, as others have said, such a gifted skater. I am praying as hard as I can for your full recovery and meanwhile for relief of your pain and the spiritual strength to deal with all this - I am a Catholic and am calling on a lot of great saints and blesseds to pray for you too!

19. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Jesse, I am so sorry you have to deal with this, on top of everything else. Is there a way for you to tell the doctors or the nurses' supervisor?

Hopefully you get some compassionate nurses tomorrow.

Sleep well.

20. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Please know that you can absolutely refuse treatment from a specific personnel at any time, ask for a specific nurse or doctor not to treat you again, and request a different one. Your hospital should have a patient advocacy department to help you deal with things like this.

Hang in there, Jesse.

21. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Vesperholly is 100% right. I hope you finally got the attention of the nurses, Jesse. I'm sure you will be happy to be home!

22. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

That is really awful, Spaz - I am so sorry. Do you have a patient advocate on your team? If not, could you ask to speak to the nursing supervisor? Or if you don't want to deal with it, maybe your parents or another family member could take the issue so that you can focus on trying to get some rest.

I sincerely hope today is a better day, and that tomorrow you will be transferred to your hometown. ((((((hugs))))))

23. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

This!

Jesse, I'm so sorry you had to deal with that level of insensitivity. I hope it gets better. I don't know if you mentioned this already, but how did you wind up in a hospital so far from home? Do they provide a service your local one doesn't? Are you there for a doctor that has privileges? I hope you can work out your wifi issues and can connect to the internet. We "mother hens" :))) like to know how you are doing and want to send our love and support.

24. maggylyn

maggylyn Well-Known Member

Prayers and thoughts for you, Jesse.

I hope today is a better day.

25. skatesindreams

Jesse, please contact the hospital/nursing administration about the person who treated you inappropriately -- causing you even more pain.
    "Caregivers" who behave that way have no place in the profession and need to be removed before they hurt someone else.

Amen, to this!

26. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

{{{{Jesse}}}} I'm sorry you had such crappy care yesterday. I hope today is better and that when you get home it will be even better still!

27. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

Jesse lives in a small town (3,000 people). I'm assuming that Calgary is the nearest place that does radiation treatment. It's unusual to have a hospital that provides radiation treatment outside of a big city.

28. backspin

backspin Active Member

Does anyone live near enough to Calgary to go stomp on that nurse's toes?? GRRRRRRR!!!!

I'm very sorry that your day & night were so awful Jesse, and hope that today will bring you some relief and rest!

29. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

I rang my call bell so many times just asking for ANYBODY to help me... but they just kept saying they were short staffed etc. It must have been 3 hours before anyone came. And then they left me without saying anything for another hour. Apparently there were only 2 of them on the ENTIRE unit last night? I can't really believe that... for like 50 patients or something? There's no way.

But yeah this is the nearest city that offers my radiation treatments, that's why I'm so far away.
    If I could just walk up to the desk and ask to talk to people etc I would... but it makes everything so much more difficult when I'm bed ridden I feel like I have no way to do any of those things... or the energy haha.

30. skatesindreams

When you talk to the administrators, be sure to tell them that your calls for help were ignored.
    "Short-staffing" is no excuse for that.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.