My bunny died today

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cheylana, Mar 29, 2012.

1. eusebius

eusebius Active Member

I am so sorry Cheylana. Like others have said, you did everything you could to care for her the best way you possibly could. I know that doesn't make it any easier though. (((((Hugs))))))

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  2. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

{{{Cheylena}}}} I'm so sorry :(

3. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Thank you all so much. At least World Championships is going on now; I guess I'll try to distract myself a little bit with that.

4. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

Poor bunny :(

Please do get a new friend for Axel, it might cheer him up a bit!

((((((((((Cheylana)))))))))

5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

((((((Cheylana)))))
    It's always awful to lose a beloved companion.

6. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

I am so sorry, ((((((HUGS)))))

We lost our boy bunny just over 2 years ago. Like your girl, he was one of a bonded pair. He was only 5 and died of cancer. We knew he was sick but figured he had a few more months to live. One day he stopped eating and that was the day he died.

It's so hard. Don't beat yourself up. You are a great bunny mom. (I know you are a great bunny mom because I am a bunny mom too so I can recognize that!) You did all you could. Bunnies are notorious for hiding their illnesses until the very end. Chances are by the time you noticed anything wrong, it would have been too late.

We were devastated when we lost our Peanut. Time helps....but what helped us the most was adopting another boy bunny to have in our house. It took us about 6 months to be ready for another bunny, but it was the best decision we made as he is a treasure.

Hang in there....I know there will be lots more bunnies in your life to love. In the meantime, dote on your other bun and love him lots. He'll need it too.

More ((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))

7. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry, Cheylana. :(

8. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

:(

I think all creatures have their bad days. I would have just thought, "poor thing, she's having a bad day". I don't think anyone expects a loved one to go so quickly. (((Cheylana)))

Maybe one way to look at it is that Trixie had the bestest Mom on the planet for six years. And is now smiling down on you with peace, love and gratitude. :)

P.S. I'm glad you're not keeping yourself from having a good cry. I personally think that plays a big role in the healing process. Let the hurt out so that only the fond memories remain.

9. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

(((Cheylana))) So sorry for your loss.

10. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

I have lost two buns, one to e. cuniculi and kidney failure and one to e. cuniculi and cancer. I spent thousands but still feel guilty. I rescued two more in their honor. You did your best and good luck if you rebond. It's so sad, they are very fragile.

11. mkats

mkats New Member

(((((((Cheylana)))))))

Our bunny is almost nine and a half years old and we're getting increasingly scared of the day she'll leave us. She's virtually 100% blind but still comes nosing up every morning demanding treats and fresh fruit, and I can't imagine our lives without her. Before we got her I never thought of bunnies as having as much personality as cats or dogs, but man has she proved us wrong...

Your furball was very lucky to have someone as caring as you - you did everything you could have for her in those six wonderful years. Please don't beat yourself up ((hugs))

12. Cheylana

Very grateful for all the kind messages and condolences, and the bunny stories.

mkats, I'm glad your bunny is 9 1/2. May she continue to live and prosper and beg for treats for as long as possible. Bonita and skategal, I'm sorry about the losses of your buns. It's wonderful that you got new buns; they are truly lucky to have you.

I did request a full autopsy, so maybe I'll hold off on the self-flagellation at least long enough to find out the actual cause of death (vet said early next week).

Had to make final arrangements today. Trixie will be cremated and we're tentatively planning on scattering the ashes in Washington State where she was born and adopted by us.

13. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Loving a new animal helps a lot to deal with the grief and sadness of one lost.

The way I figure it, part of loving our animals is accepting the cost of losing them. I consider it a cost worth paying.

If Axel would be better of with a new companion, I'd say that should be your key.

14. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

I don't know if you deal with a rescue that lets your bunny meet a potential new mate, but it made all the difference with me. The first two times I just brought home a new bunny, like, here you go, here's your new friend. One bonding took three months and the other one a freaking year (and it was not a very strong bond). The third time I brought my bunny to the shelter, she met five studmuffins, I let her pick, and they bonded within a couple of weeks.

I have lost a lot of pets, both bunnies and cats, and everyone thinks it's odd that I'm on Petfinder right away looking for the next one. However, it makes me happy to know I'm saving another life, and that takes away some of the pain of losing the one I loved so.

15. Jem X

Jem X Needing sleep.

Cheylana, so sorry to hear about your bunny. I have a bunny of my own and he is a sweet little guy. Hugs to you and Axel.

16. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Cheylana -- the more you write about Trixie, the more I'm convinced that she was a very lucky bunny to have you, just as you were lucky to have her. And while losing her is (and will be) painful, I hope you can console yourself with knowing how well she did for so long. A quick decline is sad, but not nearly as sad as a long, slow decline.

My husband grew up with a bunny, and still remembers Thumper with great fondness many years later.

17. Katoomba

Katoomba Member

My condolences on your loss, Cheylana. It sounds like you did everything you could for Trixie.

18. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

This. And may I add it is hard to notice when an animal might not be feeling well. They are much quieter about it than we humans are. I just want you to get to a place where you let the last hours go and remember all of the great years you had together. And if I may be so bold I suspect if Trixie could say it she would want that too.

19. heckles

heckles Banned Member

By realizing that you were very good to Trixie, starting with the rescue five years ago, continuing with your giving out treats, and ending with your trip to the emergency vet. Pat yourself on the back.

20. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

People do not realize how affectionate bunnies can be. They're as intelligent as cats and can learn their names and be trained.

It sounds like Trixie had a great life and was happy to have found you. :)

21. mkats

mkats New Member

I have been outsmarted by that bunny many, many times... she's litter trained and (at least when she was younger) could go up and down the stairs by herself, so we mostly let her run free. There were times when she would go into a room and close the door behind her and I'd be looking all over the house for her!

When I was a high schooler and wanted to sleep in on weekends, she'd sometimes hop onto the bed and trample all over to wake me up so we could play :lol:

Before we went to bed we'd block an area off with a baby gate to keep her from wandering at night, but one night I thought my mom did it, my mom thought my sister did it, etc... bottom line is, bunny was free to roam all night, and in the morning, she was sitting nice and innocently on her little rug (that has always been HER rug - woe is you if you try to use it for something else, as an ex-boyfriend learned the hard way) pretending like she'd been there all night. Well, my mom went around to water her houseplants and noticed that the edges of every plant, about as high as the bunny could reach standing on tiptoes, had been nibbled clean... there was a row of tassels on the living room curtain that had all promptly been snipped off... and best of all, the bunny was so tired from her nighttime adventures that she took a long nap in the sun. :rofl:

They really are very special little creatures.

22. Cheylana

Oh mkats, your bun sounds like a trip! :lol:

Our Trixie was also very smart and outsmarted us many a time. Much to our chagrin she figured out how to open the baby gate so she and Axel could frolic as they pleased. And boy, could she race around the living room and do binkies; she was so athletic. Our Axel gets sick a lot, and Trixie was always there to groom and comfort him. I couldn't have asked for more from her.

Bonita, I think you are right to quickly re-bond your buns when they lose their companions. My sister has started looking online a bit, and I'm sure we'll take our Axel on some "dates." He's pretty easygoing, and easily bonded to Trixie and his prior companion Charlotte.

I can't tell you how grateful I am for all the support I've gotten on this thread. You are so kind, and your words definitely have helped me.

23. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Sorry about the loss of your bunny.

There are so many animal lovers on this forum. Anytime anyone loses a pet it is the best place to come.

24. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

So sorry for the loss of your bun! I've never had one; we have had about 14 cats over the years and have treasured them all. Today I was completely exhausted from worlds and needed a nap. Lord Chutney, our Maine Coon cat (only purebred we've ever had) crawled in with me and we had a good rejuvenating snuggle. They are special!

25. Cheylana

I just wanted to follow up to thank everyone again, and also to say I got the preliminary results of Trixie's necropsy; apparently she had kidney disease that she concealed pretty well until almost the end. I was torturing myself with the thought that I fed her some bad food or something, but I guess it was just her time to go. Still miss my girl terribly, but I will try to focus on the happy memories.

Also trying to arrange a speed dating session for my remaining bun Axel. (Rabbit speed dating works something like this and can actually be quite cute!)

Thanks again to all.

26. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

:D

Wishing Axel good dating, may he find true love quickly.

27. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

Cheylana, glad you have some answers. Bunnies are genius at hiding illness. Our Peanut concealed his cancer (except for some lumps on his body...that is how we knew he had it) until the day he died.

Good Luck with speed dating for Axel. Your next special bunny is out there. You just have to find her/him.