My bunny died today

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cheylana, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Our bunny Trixie died today -- one day shy of her sixth birthday. Unlike her companion bunny, she had been healthy from the day we adopted her as a rescue, over five years ago. Never ever sick.

Last Friday I noticed she wasn't racing over to get a treat as she usually does, and it bothered me; I made a mental note to get her a vet checkup on Monday. Saturday night I realized she definitely had eaten nothing all day (it can be hard to tell since I have two buns), so I took her to the animal hospital on an emergency basis. This started a crazy few days in which my sister and I took her back and forth to the vet, where they gave her subcutaneous fluids and prescribed antibiotics. We cradled her, administered medicine, tried to force-feed her, cleaned off the diarrhea (sorry), sang to her, tried to will her to live. All to no avail. Tuesday we had her admitted to the hospital for overnight IV fluids and medicines, figuring they were better equipped to turn things around. This morning I got a call from the vet, telling me Trixie had gotten much, much worse. The IV fluids weren't processed by her kidneys, instead they pooled around her lungs, making it difficult for her to breathe. I went to visit, and she was totally prostrate, couldn't even lift her head, let alone sit up. I knew it was over. We reluctantly authorized the vet to put her to sleep this evening. We were there, kissing and petting her while it happened. It was so hard to watch her die, even though it was quick.

I am beyond heartbroken. How does one heal a big gaping wound in one's heart? And how does one stop replaying and second-guessing all the decisions made? I truly feel like an unfit bun-mom. If only I had noticed she wasn't eating a little sooner. Then I could have gotten her to the vet a little sooner and it might have made a difference. Trixie was healthy, strong and not old. She deserved at least a few more years of frolicking around my apartment with my other bunny. They were a bonded pair and he's going to be totally lost without her.
    :( :( :( :( :(

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I am so sorry, Cheylana. You did everything that you could and made sure she was with you and comfortable. You gave her a wonderful life in your home. Best to the other bunny.

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  3. shan

shan Well-Known Member

((Cheylana))

4. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I'm truly sorry for your loss, Cheylana. It's obvious that you loved Trixie very much, so I can imagine your grief right now.

I think it's natural to replay everything and ask whether there might be anything you could have done differently, but it sounds like you did all the right things. It seems like you were very much in tune with her behavior and that you promptly took her to emergency care on Saturday as soon as you realized she had not eaten that day rather than wait until Monday to see your regular vet. I'm not sure what else you could have done. :(

((((((hugs))))))

5. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

(((((Cheylana)))))

These things happen. Don't blame yourself. You did nothing wrong. It was time for Trixie to leave this world. Remember the joy she brought you. I hope you feel better.

6. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

So very sorry for your loss of your bunny. She sounded like she was well loved and taken care of by you. :(

7. Cheylana

I could have taken her in on Friday night when I saw she didn't race over to collect her treats. Totally out of character for her. I was concerned then, but I delayed by a day. I can't help but wonder if it would have made a difference. I would give anything to go back in time and do it differently.

8. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I am so, so sorry.

9. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

10. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

((cheylana))
    There could have been a lot of reasons other than sickness why she didn't take her treat, and it doesn't mean that you were a bad owner because you didn't do something then. Please don't berate yourself - it's hard not to, but you got her the best of care as soon as you realized that something was definitely wrong, and that shows how much you loved her and were a responsible caretaker.

11. Cheylana

12. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Cheylana,

Thanks for sharing the picture of Trixie. I am sorry for your loss. I hope you feel better.

13. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 New Member

No :( Losing a pet is so devastating. Hopefully you and your little bunny will be ok. When my dog was whining a lot, I figured it was because he wanted more attention or wanted to go outside. After a while I realized he was in pain and I was so mad at myself for not figuring it out sooner. But there really isn't much we can do...animals behave in certain ways for so many reasons, it's easy to chalk it up to something common. I'm sure your bunny knew how much you loved her, and that's all that matters.

14. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

(((Cheylana)))

Michelle and I send our deepest sympathies. :(

15. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

so sorry!

16. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

So sorry for you. :(

17. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

(((Cheylana & Trixie & companion bun)))

So sorry :( I went through the same doubts and second guessing when my dog died - she got a little sick and then went downhill very fast, and I stressed myself out a lot wondering how I could have done a dozen things differently and changed the outcome. The reality is that we are stewards for companions who cannot tell us exactly what they need and all we can do is our best.

I'm sure Trixie was very loved and my heart goes out to you and mr remaining bun :(

18. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Heartbreaking does not start to describe it. Hugs to you. :(

19. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss, Cheylana
    Don't beat yourself up about bringing her in on Friday night. Giving 24 hours to see if an unusual behaviour such as lack of appetite indicates a health problem that needs to be checked out is standard for humans as well as humans caring for animals.

With time. Having other animals to love helps as well - a lot.

My guess it is would not have made a difference - the kidney problems you describe would likely not have been treatable if you brought her in to the vet 24 hours earlier.

I did have a situation one when a mistake me and Mr. Japanfan made might have cost a cat her life. She stopped eating for a few days on one occasion and we did not know that this could cause serious liver problems. By the time we took her in to the vet it was too late, she died a few days later at home. We didn't beat ourselves up over it, because we honestly did not know that we should have done anything differently at the time. Live and learn. Although we did mourn her, she was my favourite cat ever.

Can a bunny re-bond with another? If so, you and bunny both deserve a new companion.

20. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry, Cheylana, but I think you did the very best you could. Trixie was a real cutie.

21. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for the loss of your bunny. I lost my dog very recently who was perfectly healthy acting until that fateful afternoon when she refused her lunch. I took her in immediately to the vet who ran a bunch of tests, gave her an antibiotic injection and sent her home with me, stating they couldnt tell what was wrong with her. They didn't warn me she was going to pass that night. I watched her pass away, it was very hard, she was panicky and in pain, I couldn't pick her up (80 pounds) and put her in my van to rush her to the pet emergency. When she quieted in the early morning hours, I thought she was feeling better and fell asleep, She fell asleep alright, forever. I thought, too, she had a few good years left on her.

You did everything you could have done. It is hard and you will mourn the loss for a very long time. Grieving process is so hard! You just have to take it day by day.

22. Gypsy

Gypsy Thunder & Lightning!!!

I am so sorry for your loss.

Please don't second guess yourself. We lost our dog Lucky due to kidney failure, and we had been taking her to the vet. They gave her medication & fluids on Friday (they couldn't determine what exactly was happening) and we were going to bring her back Monday. That Friday night, she just laid down and was gone. When we talked to her regular vet that Monday, he was shocked she was gone. He said that with kidney failure it is hard to detect.

It is such a hard decision that you had to make and I remember when we made that decision for one of our hamsters, Elmer. He was having seizures and in such distress. It was heartbreaking.

Pets are family members and it is so hard to lose someone so special.

My heart goes out to you! I am sure you are a wonderful bun-Mom.

23. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

(((((((((Cheylana)))))))))) I am so sorry to hear this.

24. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

(((Cheylana))) Please be kind to yourself. I'm so sorry about your loss.

25. Ice Queen

Ice Queen New Member

Cheylana, I am very sorry to hear of your loss. Please know, that you did everything you could to help Trixie.

26. Cheylana

Thank you for your kind thoughts. My hearts go out to all of you who have lost furbabies too. It's just such a sucker punch to the stomach, especially when it wasn't expected. People always think it's "just a pet," but I don't have kids; my bunnies are my kids. I feel like I lost my kid.

Japanfan, bunnies definitely can re-bond. Trixie is actually my other bun Axel's second companion; his first companion died very young in a fluke accident, and he was so depressed and unwilling to eat that we rushed out and adopted Trixie, and the two buns quickly bonded. It's unbearable to think of replacing her so soon, but I might have to. Axel sat in his litter box all alone last night, and he just looked so pitiful. :fragile:

27. Andrushka

Andrushka New Member

Sorry for your loss :( I used to have bunnies when I was a kid.

28. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

So sorry. I know how it is to lose pets - so much a part of the family. :(

29. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Cheylana, I am so sorry, please don't beat yourself up. You did everything you could. In the end, our lives are so much better with our little furry family members than without them. The result is that we will all have to be heartbroken from time to time because they just don't live long enough. The best thing you can do is take your time to grieve and then look for your next fur baby.

30. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

From our bunny house, to yours, every sympathy in the world.

You did everything you should have. Bunnies are just so good at hiding their symptoms; it is not at all your fault.

Hugs.